Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > PCI Graphics card problem

PCI Graphics card problem

JTJersey

I pulled a Trigem motherboard from an HP Pavilion XT933 (it's the same
board that some eMachines use) and built an MATX mini-desktop out of it
with a 1000Mhz AMD processor and 256Mb SDRAM and loaded Mandriva/Linux
2006. All stuff laying around the shop. I thought it might make somebody
a useable internet surfer and word processor as it runs pretty
respectably. The board has onboard video, but the AGP port was never
installed (cost cutting I'm sure) so I picked up a new ATI Rage 128Pro
32Mb PCI card for $25.00 thinking it might pep it up a little bit. Problem
is, every time I plug the card in, the system refuses to boot. No signal
to the monitor at all. Can't find anything helpful in the BIOS, unless
I'm overlooking something obvious. Looking for fresh ideas.

Brian

Is the PCI card good?
Try disabling the onboard video in BIOS and reboot (might have to reset the
jumper after that too if it doesn't work.
If the board supports AGP then the onboard chip probably supports AGP which
would be faster than the PCI card anyway, even with shared memory.

JTJersey

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 20:51:19 -0500, Brian wrote:

> Is the PCI card good?
> Try disabling the onboard video in BIOS and reboot (might have to reset the
> jumper after that too if it doesn't work.
> If the board supports AGP then the onboard chip probably supports AGP which
> would be faster than the PCI card anyway, even with shared memory.

There isn't an option in the BIOS to disable the onboard video. That
would be too easy. There is no AGP slot on the board. Just 3 PCI slots
which is why I chose the graphics card I mentioned, which is new, sealed in
the box. I'll have to track down the jumper settings and see if I can work
something there. Thanks for the idea.

--
Registered Linux User #267152