Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Use of an external hard drive

Use of an external hard drive

Art Landy

I am using a registry cleaner to scan and fix errors on my computer, to
which I have an external hard drive attached. Is it unwise to have the
external drive turned off during a registry scanning and cleaning operation
if I have no programs but only data stored on the external hard drive?

Robert Baer

Art Landy wrote:
> I am using a registry cleaner to scan and fix errors on my computer, to
> which I have an external hard drive attached. Is it unwise to have the
> external drive turned off during a registry scanning and cleaning operation
> if I have no programs but only data stored on the external hard drive?

The registry is hiding on the boot drive and is used as a refernce
"database" for running programs.
All you are doing is making changes in that database, not changes to
items that are referred to.
Makes no difference.