Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Wrong CPU?

Wrong CPU?

jeh

I have a XP 2200+ in my computer and the Device manager says it's an XP
1500+. It's an Abit Nf7 ver.2.0 board and I remember that it displayed
the correct processor after I first put it in over 18 months ago. I
went into setup and the "processor speed" displays 2200+, but just above
that it still displays Athlon XP 1500+ -- it displays that on boot up
too. Any clues to what is happening here? I did flash the bios about 6
months ago and that went very well, and it lists the correct version
number. Before that I installed Windows XP Pro OEM which also has been
trouble-free. Thanks in advance for any advice.
John.

bmoag

What is the system clock speed set at in the BIOS?

jeh

bmoag wrote:
> What is the system clock speed set at in the BIOS?

"External Clock 133 MHz" That part is grayed out, and right above that
is "CPU Operating speed 2200+" When I highlight that it changes to
"User defined?" and it's all highlighted then. Yeah I know, I don't
know what I'm doing. I know just enough to get me in trouble.

Travis

I don't really think it's too important as long as your getting maximum
speeds from your CPU, try some benchmarks or something to test it. If
you using Mac OS X (which I know your not) it's normal for it to be
1ghz HIGHER

On Oct 4, 5:00 pm, jeh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> bmoag wrote:
> > What is the system clock speed set at in the BIOS?"External Clock 133 MHz" That part is grayed out, and right above that

> is "CPU Operating speed 2200+" When I highlight that it changes to
> "User defined?" and it's all highlighted then. Yeah I know, I don't
> know what I'm doing. I know just enough to get me in trouble.

bmoag

I believe that 133mHz is the correct system clock speed for this now ancient
processor which can only work with memory up to 333mHz depending on mobo
bios.
The AMD site should still have a program called amdclock that will correctly
identify your processor.
If all is set up correctly the CPU should be correctly identified in Control
Panel/system/hardware.
The only thing that causes misidentification of the processor is incorrect
system clock speed.
Make sure your memory is not somehow underclocked in your bios settings.

jeh

jeh wrote:
> I have a XP 2200+ in my computer and the Device manager says it's an XP
> 1500+. It's an Abit Nf7 ver.2.0 board and I remember that it displayed
> the correct processor after I first put it in over 18 months ago. I
> went into setup and the "processor speed" displays 2200+, but just above
> that it still displays Athlon XP 1500+ -- it displays that on boot up
> too. Any clues to what is happening here? I did flash the bios about 6
> months ago and that went very well, and it lists the correct version
> number. Before that I installed Windows XP Pro OEM which also has been
> trouble-free. Thanks in advance for any advice.
> John.

I fixed it, thanks.