Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > laptop not starting

laptop not starting

Eureka

I have a very sick HP zx5000 that is refusing to boot and start. When I
turn it on everything seems to be running, the fan, the HD makes sounds, all
the lights come on except that the screen stays black and it does not get
into windows. Could someone please give me an idea of what could be wrong?
Thanks
Felix

RjK

If the system is making the startup beep sounds I would try connecting a
monitor to the system. If the monitor shows the display then the problem
may be a dead display on the notebook. If you still do not get anything then
it may be a dead onboard video. When the system starts do you get the system
boot diplay?

Eureka

Thanks for your response. NO it does not make the startup-booting beep
sound and the display remains black. The only things I hear is the fan, the
HD, and the power lights come on. I am thinking that it could be a bad
motherboard or bad hard drive.

"RjK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If the system is making the startup beep sounds I would try connecting a
> monitor to the system. If the monitor shows the display then the problem
> may be a dead display on the notebook. If you still do not get anything
> then it may be a dead onboard video. When the system starts do you get the
> system boot diplay?

Neil Green

"Eureka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Thanks for your response. NO it does not make the
> startup-booting beep sound and the display remains
> black. The only things I hear is the fan, the HD,
> and the power lights come on. I am thinking that it
> could be a bad motherboard or bad hard drive.

A faulty hard drive won't cause those symptoms as a
rule.
With a faulty drive you should still get the POST
screen and then an error regarding the HDD.
Do you have the same result running from battery or AC
adaptor, and did any event trigger this behaviour,
such as the laptop being dropped or in a different
environment?

Eureka

Neil and RjK,
Thank you guys.
Yes, the same results running with or without the battery. My son uses the
laptop while away in Germany. He came home on leave and left me the laptop
to see if we can get it to work again. The jack in the back where the AC
plug connects was loose and giving him lots of problems. It was so loose
that the battery would not get fully charged and so he was using it without
the battery and even without the battery it was a big pain to keep it
running because it would turn off constantly. WE opened it up and were able
to fix the jack problem and fully recharge the battery and tried both ways
to get it running again but something must have gone bad. WE tried
reseating the memory chip but did not help. If like you say that the HD
should be ruled out then I hate to think that it could be the MB if nothing
else.
again, thanks for your help.

news:4522f11c$0$5111$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> Neil and RjK,
> Thank you guys.
> Yes, the same results running with or without the
> battery. My son uses the laptop while away in
> Germany. He came home on leave and left me the
> laptop to see if we can get it to work again. The
> jack in the back where the AC plug connects was
> loose and giving him lots of problems. It was so
> loose that the battery would not get fully charged
> and so he was using it without the battery and even
> without the battery it was a big pain to keep it
> running because it would turn off constantly. WE
> opened it up and were able to fix the jack problem
> and fully recharge the battery and tried both ways
> to get it running again but something must have gone
> bad. WE tried reseating the memory chip but did not
> help. If like you say that the HD should be ruled
> out then I hate to think that it could be the MB if
> nothing else.
> again, thanks for your help.

It sounds like a power supply issue to me, especially
given the problems you have had with the AC adapter.
Power from the AC adapter may not be getting correctly
distributed within the laptop.
Weigh up the age and residual value of the laptop and
then whether you think a possibly costly repair is
justified.

titi

Eureka
I had the same problem with my HP DV1000 too and you're right, that is
the motherboard power issue. I took it to local store and they quoted
me $799 for motherboard. Then I search on google and finally have my
motherboard REPAIRED for $250. It's been 15 months and my laptop is
working great. You can try the company I used and good luck with your
laptop. Oh, this is the website www.laptoponcall.com and their number
is 513.874.3306
I also purchased extended warranty from them for 2 years because I
think they are the best in town.

Let me know if you need anything and good luck.

Tom.

Neil Green wrote:
> "Eureka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Neil and RjK,
> > Thank you guys.
> > Yes, the same results running with or without the
> > battery. My son uses the laptop while away in
> > Germany. He came home on leave and left me the
> > laptop to see if we can get it to work again. The
> > jack in the back where the AC plug connects was
> > loose and giving him lots of problems. It was so
> > loose that the battery would not get fully charged
> > and so he was using it without the battery and even
> > without the battery it was a big pain to keep it
> > running because it would turn off constantly. WE
> > opened it up and were able to fix the jack problem
> > and fully recharge the battery and tried both ways
> > to get it running again but something must have gone
> > bad. WE tried reseating the memory chip but did not
> > help. If like you say that the HD should be ruled
> > out then I hate to think that it could be the MB if
> > nothing else.
> > again, thanks for your help.

> It sounds like a power supply issue to me, especially
> given the problems you have had with the AC adapter.
> Power from the AC adapter may not be getting correctly
> distributed within the laptop.
> Weigh up the age and residual value of the laptop and
> then whether you think a possibly costly repair is
> justified.

minnesotti

titi wrote:
> Eureka
> I had the same problem with my HP DV1000 too and you're right, that is
> the motherboard power issue. I took it to local store and they quoted
> me $799 for motherboard. Then I search on google and finally have my
> motherboard REPAIRED for $250. It's been 15 months and my laptop is
> working great. You can try the company I used and good luck with your
> laptop. Oh, this is the website www.laptoponcall.com and their number
> is 513.874.3306
> I also purchased extended warranty from them for 2 years because I
> think they are the best in town.
>
> Let me know if you need anything and good luck.
>
> Tom.

This guy has made only 3 postings, and in all of them he mentions the
PC repair services of the same company (and in all of them he advises
to change the motherboard). It looks to me like a shameless promotion.
Perhaps they get a too large stock of the motherboards.

Eric Schon

"minnesotti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> titi wrote:
>> Eureka
>> I had the same problem with my HP DV1000 too and you're right, that is
>> the motherboard power issue. I took it to local store and they quoted
>> me $799 for motherboard. Then I search on google and finally have my
>> motherboard REPAIRED for $250. It's been 15 months and my laptop is
>> working great. You can try the company I used and good luck with your
>> laptop. Oh, this is the website www.laptoponcall.com and their number
>> is 513.874.3306
>> I also purchased extended warranty from them for 2 years because I
>> think they are the best in town.
>>
>> Let me know if you need anything and good luck.
>>
>> Tom.

> This guy has made only 3 postings, and in all of them he mentions the
> PC repair services of the same company (and in all of them he advises
> to change the motherboard). It looks to me like a shameless promotion.
> Perhaps they get a too large stock of the motherboards.

Hi!

The idea that warranty can be bought.... !!

The thing comes with a warranty (or it does not).

If you are not satisfied with what [warranty] it comes with, then you can
buy insurance or extended service.

You do not (have to) pay for anything you are entitled to by law.

Thus, anyone charging you for warranty is a phony.

ES