Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > UPDATE: Mystery "Logging on to network" (dial up) takes long time

UPDATE: Mystery "Logging on to network" (dial up) takes long time

Brad

Hi,

Thanks to everyone (especially Charlie R) who responded. I tried glee's
procedure in part, there was no "Quick Logon" in mine. It didn't work.

I used the link (see below) presented to me by Charlie R. What really
fixed my problem, I unchecked "Log On To Network". WOW! Now
I can log on in a "flash"!

Brad

From (thanks) www.altohiway.com/cgi-bin/knowledge/147.html :

As default, Windows 9x sets options on a Dial-Up account which aren't
actually necessary. This can often cause the "Verifying Username and
Password" to take a very long time.

The solution is to follow the below steps:

1 - Double-click My Computer

2 - Double-click Dial Up Networking

3 - Right click on the Dial Up Connection you use, and click Properties

4 - Click on the Server Types tab

5 - Uncheck 'Log On To Network', 'NetBEUI' and 'IPX/SPX Compatible'

6 - Click OK

7 - Dial up again. You should find that the logging in process is now much
quicker.