Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Loud (& extremely annoying) cooling fan ...

Loud (& extremely annoying) cooling fan ...

m.cringle@gmail.com

Hi folks

My notebook is driving me insane! I bought this thing about 4 years ago
and has always had a really loud cooling fan. The thing that i don't
understand is that it starts shortly after I start up my pc and hardly
ever stops. I have even bought an extra laptop cooler to help and sent
it in for repairs (180 but no idea what he did!) - but no change.

Anybody got any ideas? (other than microwaving it)

It was top of the range (spec) when i bought it and can still cope very
well with anything that i throw at it -- aaaarrrggh - just the noise!

Thanks

q_q_anonymous@yahoo.co.uk

> Hi folks
>
> My notebook is driving me insane! I bought this thing about 4 years ago
> and has always had a really loud cooling fan. The thing that i don't
> understand is that it starts shortly after I start up my pc and hardly
> ever stops. I have even bought an extra laptop cooler to help and sent
> it in for repairs (180 but no idea what he did!) - but no change.
>
> Anybody got any ideas? (other than microwaving it)
>
> It was top of the range (spec) when i bought it and can still cope very
> well with anything that i throw at it -- aaaarrrggh - just the noise!
>
> Thanks

I bought a noisy laptop. Sold it on telling the buyer I had issues with
it being too noisy for me. Didn't bother him!!

a friend had a toshiba sattelite which was fairly quiet. And maybe
some of the "ultra portable"/ultraportable ones are quiet. They have
another name, I can't remember it. You could look at 'tablet pcs'.

who cares about top of the range now. they're all quite fast. just get
a quiet one if then noise bothers you!!

russell

I have the same trouble with my desktop. Hope some has the answer. How can
I turn it off?
Thanks, Russ

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
Hi folks

My notebook is driving me insane! I bought this thing about 4 years ago
and has always had a really loud cooling fan. The thing that i don't
understand is that it starts shortly after I start up my pc and hardly
ever stops. I have even bought an extra laptop cooler to help and sent
it in for repairs (180 but no idea what he did!) - but no change.

Anybody got any ideas? (other than microwaving it)

It was top of the range (spec) when i bought it and can still cope very
well with anything that i throw at it -- aaaarrrggh - just the noise!

Thanks

Travis

Who cares about it. You can't fix it unless you get a whole new fan.
If your really that much of a complainer then give the laptop to me

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 06:00:40 -0700, m.cringle wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> My notebook is driving me insane! I bought this thing about 4 years ago
> and has always had a really loud cooling fan. The thing that i don't
> understand is that it starts shortly after I start up my pc and hardly
> ever stops. I have even bought an extra laptop cooler to help and sent
> it in for repairs (180 but no idea what he did!) - but no change.
>
> Anybody got any ideas? (other than microwaving it)
>
> It was top of the range (spec) when i bought it and can still cope very
> well with anything that i throw at it -- aaaarrrggh - just the noise!
>
> Thanks

m.cringle@gmail.com

Wow - thanks for the totally unhelpful remarks guys!

All I was looking for was some advice on whether it is possible to
reduce the noise (maybe by purchasing another fan or applying thermal
compound).

If you have nothing useful to say - DON'T BOTHER!

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

*

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Wow - thanks for the totally unhelpful remarks guys!
>
> All I was looking for was some advice on whether it is possible to
> reduce the noise (maybe by purchasing another fan or applying thermal
> compound).
>
> If you have nothing useful to say - DON'T BOTHER!
>
> Does anyone else have any suggestions?

If it's an older laptop, the bearings might be wearing out- this can
cause a high-pitched whine; also, the fan blades might have stuck-on
dust, its added weight could be causing extra load on the bearings (out
of balance a bit as well). You could also clean dust off from around the
air intake/exhaust vents

If you can get to the fan, clean it, otherwise buy a new one and fit it?

russell

WELL, THIS IS STRANGE. I turned off some icons in my task bar and the fan
has stopped running! Can anyone explain this happening?
Thanks, Russell

"russell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:U5hSg.12960$v%(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
>I have the same trouble with my desktop. Hope some has the answer. How
>can I turn it off?
> Thanks, Russ
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Hi folks
>
> My notebook is driving me insane! I bought this thing about 4 years ago
> and has always had a really loud cooling fan. The thing that i don't
> understand is that it starts shortly after I start up my pc and hardly
> ever stops. I have even bought an extra laptop cooler to help and sent
> it in for repairs (180 but no idea what he did!) - but no change.
>
> Anybody got any ideas? (other than microwaving it)
>
> It was top of the range (spec) when i bought it and can still cope very
> well with anything that i throw at it -- aaaarrrggh - just the noise!
>
> Thanks

Travis

GG, it's just a conicendance. It doesn't matter.

russell wrote:
> WELL, THIS IS STRANGE. I turned off some icons in my task bar and the fan
> has stopped running! Can anyone explain this happening?
> Thanks, Russell
>
> "russell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:U5hSg.12960$v%(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
>> I have the same trouble with my desktop. Hope some has the answer. How
>> can I turn it off?
>> Thanks, Russ
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>> Hi folks
>>
>> My notebook is driving me insane! I bought this thing about 4 years ago
>> and has always had a really loud cooling fan. The thing that i don't
>> understand is that it starts shortly after I start up my pc and hardly
>> ever stops. I have even bought an extra laptop cooler to help and sent
>> it in for repairs (180 but no idea what he did!) - but no change.
>>
>> Anybody got any ideas? (other than microwaving it)
>>
>> It was top of the range (spec) when i bought it and can still cope very
>> well with anything that i throw at it -- aaaarrrggh - just the noise!
>>
>> Thanks

russell

Oh, My. It's back on again.
Russ

"Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> GG, it's just a conicendance. It doesn't matter.
>
> russell wrote:
>> WELL, THIS IS STRANGE. I turned off some icons in my task bar and the
>> fan has stopped running! Can anyone explain this happening?
>> Thanks, Russell
>>
>> "russell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:U5hSg.12960$v%(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
>>> I have the same trouble with my desktop. Hope some has the answer. How
>>> can I turn it off?
>>> Thanks, Russ
>>>
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>>> Hi folks
>>>
>>> My notebook is driving me insane! I bought this thing about 4 years ago
>>> and has always had a really loud cooling fan. The thing that i don't
>>> understand is that it starts shortly after I start up my pc and hardly
>>> ever stops. I have even bought an extra laptop cooler to help and sent
>>> it in for repairs (180 but no idea what he did!) - but no change.
>>>
>>> Anybody got any ideas? (other than microwaving it)
>>>
>>> It was top of the range (spec) when i bought it and can still cope very
>>> well with anything that i throw at it -- aaaarrrggh - just the noise!
>>>
>>> Thanks

russell

I contacted Sony support today and they told me to reset bios back to
default. I did this and so far the fan has not come back on.
Thanks, Russ

"russell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:v5AUg.6448$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Oh, My. It's back on again.
> Russ
>
> "Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> GG, it's just a conicendance. It doesn't matter.
>>
>> russell wrote:
>>> WELL, THIS IS STRANGE. I turned off some icons in my task bar and the
>>> fan has stopped running! Can anyone explain this happening?
>>> Thanks, Russell
>>>
>>> "russell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:U5hSg.12960$v%(E-Mail Removed) link.net...

CPU Fan Very Loud on boot up dan.nuttall@gmail.com Computer Support 18 06-20-2006 07:21 PM
cooling fan not working on startup Paranoid Paul Computer Support 3 01-22-2006 01:13 AM
VGA cooling fan Nick Computer Support 4 08-17-2005 01:36 AM
loud dB for a CPU fan??? Stell Computer Support 3 06-14-2004 01:38 AM
Re: Fan and cooling Blinky the Shark Computer Support 0 06-21-2003 06:52 PM

Advertisments