Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Windows 98 only shows 16 colors

Windows 98 only shows 16 colors

wes

I recently wiped my hard drive that was running windows 98 and installed
windows 98 2nd edition. everything went fine except when it came to my
monitor and display properties, i use to have a color range choice of 256 to
24 bit true color and a screen area choice of 640x480 to 1024x768 now its 2
and 16 colors and a screen area of 640x480. something similar happend once
before when i had to reinstall windows 98 and the system could not find the
VGA installation driver that came with the system. i was told to copy the
driver floppy disk to the hard drive, click install in add/remove programs,
and browse to the driver on the hard drive. this acutually worked and my
monitor settings returned. i have not been able to do this now because the
monitor settings were different. instead of reading plug and play monitor on
intel 1740 VGA it read fujitsu on standard display adapter VGA. i have
changed the settings of the monitor back to plug and play but cannot get the
installation driver to load. i looked at the files on the installation
driver and noticed .dll files but no .inf file. will the software load
without this file? any help would be much appreciated, man was not
meant to live with 16 colors. thanks.

bmoag

You probably do not have the correct driver for your video card installed.

"wes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XDzRg.11817$v%(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
>I recently wiped my hard drive that was running windows 98 and installed
> windows 98 2nd edition. everything went fine except when it came to my
> monitor and display properties, i use to have a color range choice of 256
> 24 bit true color and a screen area choice of 640x480 to 1024x768 now its
> 2
> and 16 colors and a screen area of 640x480. something similar happend once
> before when i had to reinstall windows 98 and the system could not find
> the
> VGA installation driver that came with the system. i was told to copy the
> driver floppy disk to the hard drive, click install in add/remove
> programs,
> and browse to the driver on the hard drive. this acutually worked and my
> monitor settings returned. i have not been able to do this now because the
> monitor settings were different. instead of reading plug and play monitor
> on
> intel 1740 VGA it read fujitsu on standard display adapter VGA. i have
> changed the settings of the monitor back to plug and play but cannot get
> the
> installation driver to load. i looked at the files on the installation
> driver and noticed .dll files but no .inf file. will the software load
> without this file? any help would be much appreciated, man was not
> meant to live with 16 colors. thanks.

grappletech

"wes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:XDzRg.11817$v%(E-Mail Removed) link.net:

> I recently wiped my hard drive that was running windows 98 and
> installed windows 98 2nd edition. everything went fine except when it
> came to my monitor and display properties, i use to have a color range
> choice of 256 to 24 bit true color and a screen area choice of 640x480
> to 1024x768 now its 2 and 16 colors and a screen area of 640x480.
> something similar happend once before when i had to reinstall windows
> 98 and the system could not find the VGA installation driver that came
> with the system. i was told to copy the driver floppy disk to the hard
> drive, click install in add/remove programs, and browse to the driver
> on the hard drive. this acutually worked and my monitor settings
> returned. i have not been able to do this now because the monitor
> settings were different. instead of reading plug and play monitor on
> intel 1740 VGA it read fujitsu on standard display adapter VGA. i have
> changed the settings of the monitor back to plug and play but cannot
> get the installation driver to load. i looked at the files on the
> installation driver and noticed .dll files but no .inf file. will the
> software load without this file? any help would be much appreciated,
> man was not meant to live with 16 colors. thanks.

Did you search the internet to see if there's Windows 98 SE specific
updated drivers for that particular video card?