Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > pc to phone calls NOT through internet

pc to phone calls NOT through internet

tandon.sourabh@gmail.com

How can I make calls from a PC to phone though the regular phone line
(NOT via internet). I can send fax though my modem that is connected to
the phone line, so I am sure that a simple utility could make the same
call for voice communication.

If I remember correctly, older versions of windows had this utility
(under start -> programs -> accessories -> communications), but I
cannot see the same in windows XP. Does anyone know of a simple free
utility, e.g. from Microsoft, that can do this?

All help is appreciated!

Bear Bottoms

On 23 Sep 2006 11:19:24 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> How can I make calls from a PC to phone though the regular phone line
> (NOT via internet). I can send fax though my modem that is connected to
> the phone line, so I am sure that a simple utility could make the same
> call for voice communication.
>
> If I remember correctly, older versions of windows had this utility
> (under start -> programs -> accessories -> communications), but I
> cannot see the same in windows XP. Does anyone know of a simple free
> utility, e.g. from Microsoft, that can do this?
>
> All help is appreciated!

This is as simple and almost the same as sending a fax. You do need a
voice modem (a data/fax modem isn't good enough) and they usually come with
telephony software in which you can do just that. WillowPhone is software
which performs such a function.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...scription.html
--
I research freeware: http://bearbottoms1.com

tandon.sourabh@gmail.com

Thanks for the reply.
I understand a voice modem is needed for 2-way voice communication. Is
there something for one way voice communication? The advantage of this
is it should be possible with a regular modem and can be very useful
for simple one way voice communication like when checking voice
messages or accessing other voice based systems.
I'm sure one-way voice should be possible with a regualr modem -- I can
hear the voice message with my regular modem (when sending fax using a
calling card).

Any known utility for the above functionality? All help is appreciated.

Brian

Gateway used to have a program like that on their system..BVRP. It would
keep addresses, phone numbers etc....and you could call regular phones from
your computer, record the conversations, make notes and if I remember right
even fax at a certain time to minimize the toll cost ( when it mattered) I
think you can purchase a similar program if not that one directly from
Gateway or the vendor that made it for them