Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Microsoft internet Explorer- crashes

Microsoft internet Explorer- crashes

casdon

Yesterday I tried to open explorer and after 5 seconds it shut down, I
call the service provider and after 20 minutes they could not help,
they said to call Microsoft and was told to call Compaq was it was a
hardware problem, so I call and they wanted after a song and dance
(asking for info phone, serial number of computer etc), $45.00 because
computer was passed it warantty(sp)I said we would call back later but
this time it was 10:00pm .Any suggestions as what may have happened and
how to correct it,the connection is fine and this is the first time
this has happened. Thanks in advance for any help. Casdon

bmoag

Did you install any new plug-ins or Active X controls?
Have you tried rebooting the computer?
Have you tried using System Restore to go back to a point before the problem
occurred?

Duane Arnold

casdon wrote:
> Yesterday I tried to open explorer and after 5 seconds it shut down, I
> call the service provider and after 20 minutes they could not help,
> they said to call Microsoft and was told to call Compaq was it was a
> hardware problem, so I call and they wanted after a song and dance
> (asking for info phone, serial number of computer etc), $45.00 because
> computer was passed it warantty(sp)I said we would call back later but
> this time it was 10:00pm .Any suggestions as what may have happened and
> how to correct it,the connection is fine and this is the first time
> this has happened. Thanks in advance for any help. Casdon

There is a exploit going around that shuts down IE. MS will have a patch
out for that I think on Oct. 10th or something like that. In the
meantime, you can use FireFox which is muck like IE, much safer than IE
and is free. You should make FF your default browser and only use IE
when a site calls for the use of IE, only.

Duane