Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > A real stumper.

A real stumper.

DH

Thanks in advance.

I am stumped. I have a customer with an old W98SE computer. I say, "don't
pay me, just buy a new computer". She won't hear of it.

Okay the problem. When the computer gets to the windows98 desktop, there is
not a pointer.

Things that I tried:

Installed a USB mouse
Tried two different mouse drivers
Checked mouse settings in the control panel

I can go into safe mode and the mouse works. I have stopped all startup
programs via msconfig/startup. I have scanned for a virus. Also, when the
screen saver engages, a mouse movement will not stop the saver. An enter
key will.

While in safe mode, I uninstalled all unneccisary programs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Dave H.

Sjouke Burry

DH wrote:
> Thanks in advance.
>
> I am stumped. I have a customer with an old W98SE computer. I say, "don't
> pay me, just buy a new computer". She won't hear of it.
>
> Okay the problem. When the computer gets to the windows98 desktop, there is
> not a pointer.
>
> Things that I tried:
>
> Installed a USB mouse
> Tried two different mouse drivers
> Checked mouse settings in the control panel
>

> I can go into safe mode and the mouse works. I have stopped all startup
> programs via msconfig/startup. I have scanned for a virus. Also, when the
> screen saver engages, a mouse movement will not stop the saver. An enter
> key will.
>
> While in safe mode, I uninstalled all unneccisary programs.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated,
>
> Dave H.

Put the DOSlevel cutemouse.com(google)
in autoexec.bat.
Win98 ought to use that external driver.

DH

"DH" <(E-Mail Removed)(axe the x's)> wrote in message
news:8rDQg.3300$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Thanks in advance.
>
> I am stumped. I have a customer with an old W98SE computer. I say,
> "don't pay me, just buy a new computer". She won't hear of it.
>
> Okay the problem. When the computer gets to the windows98 desktop, there
> is not a pointer.
>
> Things that I tried:
>
> Installed a USB mouse
> Tried two different mouse drivers
> Checked mouse settings in the control panel
>

> I can go into safe mode and the mouse works. I have stopped all startup
> programs via msconfig/startup. I have scanned for a virus. Also, when
> the screen saver engages, a mouse movement will not stop the saver. An
> enter key will.
>
> While in safe mode, I uninstalled all unneccisary programs.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated,
>
> Dave H.

Never mind! I found it. It turned out to be a corrupted win.ini file

Dave H.