Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Upgrade of processor/motherboard

Upgrade of processor/motherboard

S J Williams

Hi there,
Im about to upgrade my processor and motherboard from a AMD 2ghz with
768MB ram and was wondering which would be the best setup? Im into gaming
[esp Battlefield 1942 and online play] and dual monitor when working. Is an
AMD 64 or Pentium 4 better - or should I try to get a dual core? Memory will
be upgraded to about 1gb or so, and about a 512mb nvidia graphics either
way. Operating system isnt a problem as have both 32bit and 64 bit XP. My
main worry is processor.

Thanks anyways

Simon

RjK

I would go with the AMD dual core. I would get a CPU with 1MB L2 cache as
apposed to the 512Kb. I would also add at the very minimum 1 GB RAM.
(possibly 2 GB). Make sure the ram is a high speed gaming RAM Ram is
relatively inexpensive and can drastically increase performance.