Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > OT - More on the dangers of internet banking

OT - More on the dangers of internet banking

DAVO

Recently I copped some flak warning of the dangers of internet banking. If
you are not interested, don't read any further but if you are responsible
for your hard earned cash, read on.

Just received this from my bank and now all you need to do is click on a
link that may have nothing to do with banking but sets out to steal your
passwords etc via a worm or Trojan. The challenge shortly will be to open up
your banking each day to see if you have been compromised.

It's getting worse as now we are being told to use SMS banking as part of
your online banking security which could mean defence for the bank if you
are compromised and were not using SMS. Take the time to read it if you are
at all concerned.

http://national.com.au/Internet_Bank...,60615,00.html

DAVO

lled

"DAVO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%8lOg.29003$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Recently I copped some flak warning of the dangers of internet banking. If
> you are not interested, don't read any further but if you are responsible
> for your hard earned cash, read on.
>
> Just received this from my bank and now all you need to do is click on a
> link that may have nothing to do with banking but sets out to steal your
> passwords etc via a worm or Trojan. The challenge shortly will be to open

up
> your banking each day to see if you have been compromised.

DON'T CLICK ON A LINK YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE IT IS GOING.

DON'T OPEN, VIEW OR OTHERWISE INTERACT WITH AN EMAIL YOU DON'T KNOW ITS
ORIGIN.

If you do that you will never get hit.

Noddy

"DAVO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%8lOg.29003$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Just received this from my bank and now all you need to do is click on a
> link that may have nothing to do with banking but sets out to steal your
> passwords etc via a worm or Trojan. The challenge shortly will be to open
> up
> your banking each day to see if you have been compromised.

Thanks for cross posting that into 8 million different groups

Quick tip:

You didn't receive an email from your bank, and you will *never* get a
legitimate email from any bank. Bank's do not send correspondence to their
customers via email. At all, ever.

If the bank needs to contact you for any reason, then they will do so in
writing or by telephone, and provide your with *your* private details to
confirm their identity.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

John_H

Noddy wrote:

>You didn't receive an email from your bank, and you will *never* get a
>legitimate email from any bank. Bank's do not send correspondence to their
>customers via email. At all, ever.

Mine does, regularly.

Last time was this morning, in response to information I'd requested
by telephone. What they actually sent on this occasion was
instructions how to access the required information on the bank's
site, but not the link to the site.

What banks won't do is send emails with links or requests to log onto
their banking sites.

Their last review of my business account (overdraft limits, interest
rates, etc) was conducted entirely by email. I've also had them email
internet banking passwords for new accounts on several occasions (and
from several different banks).

--
John H

Bonzo

"lled" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YhlOg.191$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "DAVO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%8lOg.29003$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Recently I copped some flak warning of the dangers of
>> internet banking. If
>> you are not interested, don't read any further but if you
>> are responsible
>> for your hard earned cash, read on.
>>
>> Just received this from my bank and now all you need to
>> do is click on a
>> link that may have nothing to do with banking but sets
>> out to steal your
>> passwords etc via a worm or Trojan. The challenge shortly
>> will be to open

> up
>> your banking each day to see if you have been
>> compromised.

> DON'T CLICK ON A LINK YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE IT IS GOING.
>
> DON'T OPEN, VIEW OR OTHERWISE INTERACT WITH AN EMAIL YOU
> DON'T KNOW ITS
> ORIGIN.
>
> If you do that you will never get hit.

Hear hear! Only bozos stupid enough to do this would be
compromised.

And, from my experience, there are many such bozos out there
waiting to be fleeced.

Just witness the huge response these Nigerian scams receive!

Regards

Bonzo

Bonzo

"Noddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4509e2b0$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "DAVO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%8lOg.29003$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Just received this from my bank and now all you need to
>> do is click on a
>> link that may have nothing to do with banking but sets
>> out to steal your
>> passwords etc via a worm or Trojan. The challenge shortly
>> will be to open up
>> your banking each day to see if you have been
>> compromised.

> Thanks for cross posting that into 8 million different
> groups
>
> Quick tip:
>
> You didn't receive an email from your bank, and you will
> *never* get a legitimate email from any bank. Bank's do
> not send correspondence to their customers via email. At
> all, ever.
>
> If the bank needs to contact you for any reason, then they
> will do so in writing or by telephone, and provide your
> with *your* private details to confirm their identity.

Try telling that to all the bozos out there waiting to be
fleeced!

Regards

Bonzo

Hammer

"Noddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4509e2b0$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "DAVO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%8lOg.29003$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Just received this from my bank and now all you need to do is click on a
>> link that may have nothing to do with banking but sets out to steal your
>> passwords etc via a worm or Trojan. The challenge shortly will be to open
>> up
>> your banking each day to see if you have been compromised.

> Thanks for cross posting that into 8 million different groups
>
> Quick tip:
>
> You didn't receive an email from your bank, and you will *never* get a
> legitimate email from any bank. Bank's do not send correspondence to their
> customers via email. At all, ever.

Yes they do.

> If the bank needs to contact you for any reason, then they will do so in
> writing or by telephone, and provide your with *your* private details to
> confirm their identity.

No they don't.

I work for a bank and have a fair bit to do with the people that look after
email and the web sites and can assure you that what Brett Kimmorly says
above is incorrect.

> --
> Regards,
> Noddy.

Noddy

"Hammer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qZmOg.29042$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Yes they do.

Just to correct what I mentioned earlier, I should have said *unsolicited*
email.

Replying to requests by email is common.

--
Regards,
Noddy.

sarahs choice

DAVO wrote:
> Recently I copped some flak warning of the dangers of internet banking. If
> you are not interested, don't read any further but if you are responsible
> for your hard earned cash, read on.
>
> Just received this from my bank and now all you need to do is click on a
> link that may have nothing to do with banking but sets out to steal your
> passwords etc via a worm or Trojan. The challenge shortly will be to open up
> your banking each day to see if you have been compromised.
>
> It's getting worse as now we are being told to use SMS banking as part of
> your online banking security which could mean defence for the bank if you
> are compromised and were not using SMS. Take the time to read it if you are
> at all concerned.
>
> http://national.com.au/Internet_Bank...,60615,00.html
>
> DAVO

You're an idiot!!!

HTH

Spankalogical Protocol

"Hammer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qZmOg.29042$(E-Mail Removed)...

> No they don't.
>
> I work for a bank and have a fair bit to do with the people that look

after
> email and the web sites and can assure you that what Brett Kimmorly says
> above is incorrect.

Are you the guy from the St George ad?