Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Installing win xp

Installing win xp

Ronald Murray

Hello
I bought a used custom built computer with no operating system. I purchased
Win XP on eBay.
I tried to install this onto the computer , but nothing happens. It has two
DVD drives. I tried both but nothing seems to work. It does not have a
floppy drive.
Is there something I have to do before I install Win XP?
The one that I bought says OEM
Not sure what that means
I put the CD into the drive then pushed the power button but nothing shows
up on the monitor.
Can anybody HELP?
TIA
ron

David Fairbrother

Ronald Murray wrote:

> Is there something I have to do before I install Win XP?

yes, format/partition the hard drive first

> The one that I bought says OEM
> Not sure what that means

it means that it will only work on the computer that it was supplied
with. it means that you just got ripped off.

Oldus Fartus

David Fairbrother wrote:
> Ronald Murray wrote:
>
>> Is there something I have to do before I install Win XP?

> yes, format/partition the hard drive first
> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1778

No, that can be done after booting with the XP CD.

>> The one that I bought says OEM
>> Not sure what that means

> it means that it will only work on the computer that it was supplied
> with. it means that you just got ripped off.

No it doesn't necessarily mean the OP was ripped off. Being OEM does
not always mean it is tied to a particular computer system. For
example, as a system builder I can, and do, buy OEM copies of XP to
bundle with systems.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Oldus Fartus

Ronald Murray wrote:
> Hello
> I bought a used custom built computer with no operating system. I purchased
> Win XP on eBay.
> I tried to install this onto the computer , but nothing happens. It has two
> DVD drives. I tried both but nothing seems to work. It does not have a
> floppy drive.
> Is there something I have to do before I install Win XP?
> The one that I bought says OEM
> Not sure what that means
> I put the CD into the drive then pushed the power button but nothing shows
> up on the monitor.
> Can anybody HELP?
> TIA
> ron

Have you checked to see whether the computer is set to boot from CD?

Typically enter the BIOS at boot (there may be a prompt to press DEL,
F10 or something else), and look for a section marked boot order or
something similar. Set to boot from CD first, then Hard Drive. Save,
exit from BIOS and reboot.

Normally you would then get a prompt to "Press any key to boot from
CDROM", and the XP install process will start.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

John Rampling

"Oldus Fartus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45092cb4$0$7305$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Have you checked to see whether the computer is set to boot from CD?
>
> Typically enter the BIOS at boot (there may be a prompt to press DEL, F10
> or something else), and look for a section marked boot order or something
> similar. Set to boot from CD first, then Hard Drive. Save, exit from
> BIOS and reboot.
>
> Normally you would then get a prompt to "Press any key to boot from
> CDROM", and the XP install process will start.

Does he even get as far as a boot screen? He says NOTHING happens not even a
monitor display.

John

Oldus Fartus

John Rampling wrote:
> "Oldus Fartus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45092cb4$0$7305$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Have you checked to see whether the computer is set to boot from CD?
>>
>> Typically enter the BIOS at boot (there may be a prompt to press DEL, F10
>> or something else), and look for a section marked boot order or something
>> similar. Set to boot from CD first, then Hard Drive. Save, exit from
>> BIOS and reboot.
>>
>> Normally you would then get a prompt to "Press any key to boot from
>> CDROM", and the XP install process will start.
>>

> Does he even get as far as a boot screen? He says NOTHING happens not even a
> monitor display.
>
> John

You are quite right John, reading his post again it does look like he
does not get to the boot screen.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Mark Mandell

"Ronald Murray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello
> I bought a used custom built computer with no operating system. I
> purchased Win XP on eBay.
> I tried to install this onto the computer , but nothing happens. It has
> two DVD drives. I tried both but nothing seems to work. It does not have a
> floppy drive.
> Is there something I have to do before I install Win XP?
> The one that I bought says OEM
> Not sure what that means
> I put the CD into the drive then pushed the power button but nothing shows
> up on the monitor.
> Can anybody HELP?
> TIA
> ron

So there's quite possibly a hardware issue that's got to be corrected before
XP will load properly. Maybe the video card's bad, maybe the mobo's mad.
Check the latter for leaking or bulging capacitors. Remove the RAM chip or
chips. If it doesn't beep, then the mobo for sure.

Bob

Mark Mandell wrote:
> "Ronald Murray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> So there's quite possibly a hardware issue that's got to be corrected before
> XP will load properly. Maybe the video card's bad, maybe the mobo's mad.
> Check the latter for leaking or bulging capacitors. Remove the RAM chip or
> chips. If it doesn't beep, then the mobo for sure.

A more likely problem would be a faulty memory card. A POST check
checks CPU first, memory second, video card third, then on to
peripherals. Of those checks, memory probably has the highest failure
rate.