Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > SOHO router for Cable Modem Internet

Reply
Thread Tools

SOHO router for Cable Modem Internet

 
 
JM
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-06-2005
I used the Cisco 1710 while telecommuting for my previous company. I no
longer have that router, and I need a replacement. Is the 1710 the best
(i.e., most affordable while supporting VPN and QoS) for cable modem? I
tried using the Cisco Product Advisor, but I see not option for cable modem
access. As for the WAN interface issue, is cable modem specific, in that
the router specifically has to support cable modem connectivity, as opposed
to DSL?

Thank you,

jm








 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
www.BradReese.Com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-06-2005
You may wish to investigate the Cisco 1700 Series Solution Design Tool:

http://www.ciscowebtools.com/1700sdt.../1.0/index.asp

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts
http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-big-iron-repair.htm
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Scooby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-06-2005
"JM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:297Je.49805$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I used the Cisco 1710 while telecommuting for my previous company. I no
> longer have that router, and I need a replacement. Is the 1710 the best
> (i.e., most affordable while supporting VPN and QoS) for cable modem? I
> tried using the Cisco Product Advisor, but I see not option for cable

modem
> access. As for the WAN interface issue, is cable modem specific, in that
> the router specifically has to support cable modem connectivity, as

opposed
> to DSL?
>
> Thank you,
>
> jm
>
>


You don't need anything specific for cable modems. Just a ethernet port.
For general home use, the off the shelf items work great - linksys, belkin,
netgear, etc... If you are looking for Cisco specifically or need the VPN
and QOS, look at the SOHO routers, such as the 83x series - you don't need a
17xx series router for home use.

Hope that helps.

Jim


 
Reply With Quote
 
JM
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2005
very much, thank you.

jm








"Scooby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ajaJe.1789$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> "JM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:297Je.49805$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > I used the Cisco 1710 while telecommuting for my previous company. I no
> > longer have that router, and I need a replacement. Is the 1710 the best
> > (i.e., most affordable while supporting VPN and QoS) for cable modem? I
> > tried using the Cisco Product Advisor, but I see not option for cable

> modem
> > access. As for the WAN interface issue, is cable modem specific, in

that
> > the router specifically has to support cable modem connectivity, as

> opposed
> > to DSL?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > jm
> >
> >

>
> You don't need anything specific for cable modems. Just a ethernet port.
> For general home use, the off the shelf items work great - linksys,

belkin,
> netgear, etc... If you are looking for Cisco specifically or need the VPN
> and QOS, look at the SOHO routers, such as the 83x series - you don't need

a
> 17xx series router for home use.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Jim
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
JM
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2005
good link, thank you.

jm




"www.BradReese.Com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> You may wish to investigate the Cisco 1700 Series Solution Design Tool:
>
> http://www.ciscowebtools.com/1700sdt.../1.0/index.asp
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Brad Reese
> BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Service Experts
> http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-big-iron-repair.htm
> 1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
> Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
> U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680
> International: 828-277-7272
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cisco Soho 91 and cable modem Felix Cisco 0 04-24-2007 04:54 AM
(router + adsl modem) versus (router with built in adsl modem) LincolnShep Wireless Networking 3 11-08-2006 03:17 PM
MODEM ROUTER (ROUTEUR) CISCO SOHO 97 /SB 107 JM Cisco 1 10-15-2006 09:20 AM
Cisco 3640 NM-4E Westell ADSL Modem & Ambit Cable Modem/Router Half 1/2 Speed Chris Cisco 0 06-04-2006 07:38 PM
Difference between "Router connected to cable modem" in home and "Router with OSPF/RIP/PIMSM" santa19992000@yahoo.com Cisco 0 01-08-2005 07:51 PM



Advertisments