Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > To DVD ot not To DVD? (DVD ot PVR)

To DVD ot not To DVD? (DVD ot PVR)

John Russell

"Darren Wilkinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4576f790$0$8737$(E-Mail Removed)...
> John Russell wrote:
>> "Zero Tolerance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Although you can try to author an 'illegal' DVD-Video from such a
>>> broadcast if you have software that will let you get away with it.
>>> (i.e. just writing the MPEG without re-encoding it or changing the
>>> resolution.) Might not play on every player, though - some are more
>>> tolerant than others.

>> I have made lot's DVD's from dumped DVB-T MPEG streams and never has a
>> problem. What exactly is different in reality? Pointing out that DVB-T
>> can include bitrates higher than DVD-Video is a moot point. I've rarely
>> come across DVB-T broadcasts that exceed 4.5 MPS, never mind the 9.8 that
>> DVD-Video allows.
>>

> A handful of things are different. Apart from DVB having a wider range of
> resolutions there is also that it allows for a larger GOP (group of
> pictures) than DVD. There may be a few others bit with a/v sync and error
> checking.
>
> Generally just the first models have issues though.

Well I use Videoredo and it fix's such problems without re-encoding.

Mike Henry

In <4576f270$(E-Mail Removed)>, "John Russell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Zero Tolerance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 00:55:27 +0100, Mike Henry
>> <{$usenet-spamdump$}@mrtickle.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>However the only way to produce a valid DVD-Video from a 540x576
>>>broadcast is to re-encode every single frame to one of the resolutions
>>>that DVD-Video allows.

>> Although you can try to author an 'illegal' DVD-Video from such a
>> broadcast if you have software that will let you get away with it.
>> (i.e. just writing the MPEG without re-encoding it or changing the
>> resolution.) Might not play on every player, though - some are more
>> tolerant than others.

What's going on, that's from a thread which was finished 3 months ago!

>I have made lot's DVD's from dumped DVB-T MPEG streams and never has a
>problem. What exactly is different in reality? Pointing out that DVB-T can
>include bitrates higher than DVD-Video is a moot point. I've rarely come
>across DVB-T broadcasts that exceed 4.5 MPS, never mind the 9.8 that
>DVD-Video allows.

Good. But I was not posting about bitrates, I was posting about
resolutions. Given that 540x576 is an "illegal" resolution for DVD, you
need a very tolerant chipset in your DVD player for it to work.

Even if you did all that and produce hundreds of prized home-brew DVDs
which happen to work on your current "forgiving" player, what a risk all
that work would be when your next player in a few year's time refuses to
play a single one! No way, it's far more sensible to author them to as
close to DVD-Video standard as possible for peace of mind.

John Russell

"Mike Henry" <{$usenet-spamdump$}@mrtickle.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In <4576f270$(E-Mail Removed)>, "John Russell"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Zero Tolerance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Although you can try to author an 'illegal' DVD-Video from such a
>>> broadcast if you have software that will let you get away with it.
>>> (i.e. just writing the MPEG without re-encoding it or changing the
>>> resolution.) Might not play on every player, though - some are more
>>> tolerant than others.

> What's going on, that's from a thread which was finished 3 months ago!
>
>>I have made lot's DVD's from dumped DVB-T MPEG streams and never has a
>>problem. What exactly is different in reality? Pointing out that DVB-T can
>>include bitrates higher than DVD-Video is a moot point. I've rarely come
>>across DVB-T broadcasts that exceed 4.5 MPS, never mind the 9.8 that
>>DVD-Video allows.

> Good. But I was not posting about bitrates, I was posting about
> resolutions. Given that 540x576 is an "illegal" resolution for DVD, you
> need a very tolerant chipset in your DVD player for it to work.
>
> Even if you did all that and produce hundreds of prized home-brew DVDs
> which happen to work on your current "forgiving" player, what a risk all
> that work would be when your next player in a few year's time refuses to
> play a single one! No way, it's far more sensible to author them to as
> close to DVD-Video standard as possible for peace of mind.

Don't you uses a PC? It doesn't matter if I should have problems, and I have
used disks in 4 or 5 players without any, I will always be able to read the
VOB's as data on a PC and fix the video if I need too.

Jukka Aho

Mike Henry wrote:

> Given that 540x576 is an "illegal" resolution for DVD, you need
> a very tolerant chipset in your DVD player for it to work.

I think it is plausible that manufacturers of modern hardware MPEG-2
decoders (or hardware MPEG-2 decoder cores integrated to some
multifunction one-chip-wonder as used on set-top boxes, DVD players,
etc.) do not really differentiate the basic feature set of their decoder
that much. You could find the same MPEG decoder chip/core - supporting
the same resolutions, bitrates, etc. - in a modern DVD player and in a
modern DVB set-top box.

--
znark