Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Upgrade CPU question

Upgrade CPU question

Daniel

Hi,

The tower I have is a few years old with an Asus A7V400-MX board an AMD
Duron 1.8 Mhz and 512 RAM. Here are the specs of the motherboard:

http://tinyurl.com/hmtw7

Ok, I'm pretty cash strapped but still wish to maximize the performance
of my current PC. I was thinking to first upgrade the CPU to the Athlon
XP and I think the MO can take up to 3200. The problem is that the
Athlon XP 3200 is waaay too pricey for me and so are a couple of its
predessessors. Anyway, the 2400 looks to be about in my price range and
so are some higher ones like the 2500 and a couple of others. I don't
want to spend more than about 75 bucks (all inclusive) for a CPU. Which
Athlon XP would you recommend to get me a significant boost in
performance but which is friendly to the wallet and my budget ? Thanks!

bmoag

You should not waste your money that way on such old technology.
Going from the 1800 to the 2400 processor will not give you visibly improved
results. Probably no CPU upgrade is worthwhile in that older line. If you
insist see if your motherboard is compatible with the newer Sempron
processors as these are actually enhanced Athlon XPs and are the end of the
line for that CPU class.
You would probably be best off increasing your RAM and not much else as the
best bang for $75.

Daniel

bmoag wrote:
> You should not waste your money that way on such old technology.
> Going from the 1800 to the 2400 processor will not give you visibly improved
> results. Probably no CPU upgrade is worthwhile in that older line. If you
> insist see if your motherboard is compatible with the newer Sempron
> processors as these are actually enhanced Athlon XPs and are the end of the
> line for that CPU class.
> You would probably be best off increasing your RAM and not much else as the
> best bang for $75.

Ok, thanks but I thought the Duron is a real bottleneck while the
Athlon is a much better choice, even if it's in the older line ?

Anyway, thanks for your reply.