Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Deleting personal info

Deleting personal info

Toni B

I am taking my computer to be worked on and am wondering how I can
delete personal info so that no one can read it? I have all my documents
on cd's. They have been deleted and the recycle bin has been emptied. Is
this enough?

Alex Clayton

"Toni B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am taking my computer to be worked on and am wondering how I can
> delete personal info so that no one can read it? I have all my documents
> on cd's. They have been deleted and the recycle bin has been emptied. Is
> this enough?

Not if a pro wants to see it. You could format the drive, and from what I
have been told, people who know what they are doing could still see the info
if they chose to. There are programs that will supposedly "scrub" the hard
drive. There was a case here a while back where a former Sheriff turned out
to be a Kiddie porn guy. They found it on his PC even after he had used one
of these "scrubber" programs. Bottom line make sure you can trust the shop
you are taking it to, or remove the hard drive first. This why when I toss
an old computer I destroy the HD first.
--
"Little girls like butterflies, need no excuse".

Lazarus Long

Amanda

Toni B wrote:
> I am taking my computer to be worked on and am wondering how I can
> delete personal info so that no one can read it?

Take out the hard drive(s) and put a new hard drive, install OS in it
and give them.

> I have all my documents on cd's.

Hey, these days, backing up data in an external hard drive is easy.
Get a hard drive and get get USB/Firewire Hard drive enclosure and
connect the two yourself rather than buying the external hard drive
already in enclosure.

Another option is to use those tiny size flash - USB drive - which are
getting cheaper and cheaper.

> They have been deleted and the recycle bin has been emptied. Is
> this enough?

Most likely, if it is PC repair place, they won't waste time trying to
retrieve what's been removed.

Amanda

Toni B wrote:
> I am taking my computer to be worked on and am wondering how I can
> delete personal info so that no one can read it?

Take out the hard drive(s) and put a new hard drive, install OS in it
and give them.

> I have all my documents on cd's.

Hey, these days, backing up data in an external hard drive is easy.
Get a hard drive and get get USB/Firewire Hard drive enclosure and
connect the two yourself rather than buying the external hard drive
already in enclosure.

Another option is to use those tiny size flash - USB drive - which are
getting cheaper and cheaper.

> They have been deleted and the recycle bin has been emptied. Is
> this enough?

Most likely, if it is PC repair place, they won't waste time trying to
retrieve what's been removed.

Ernie Werbel

Toni B wrote in message <(E-Mail Removed)>...
I am taking my computer to be worked on and am wondering how I can
delete personal info so that no one can read it? I have all my documents
on cd's. They have been deleted and the recycle bin has been emptied. Is
this enough?

Sorry to break this to you, but the only sure way to delete data off of a fixed
disk is to throw it into an incinerator and burn it, and even then I'd have my
doubts. Not even low-level formatting can totally render the data unrecoverable
by advanced techniques.

Engineer

Delete all the files you want to get rid of and empty recycle bin.
Download Eraser V5.6 and install it. It is free.
Overwrite "Unused Disk Space" on all your drives.
This will overwrite with random data.
It takes a long time depending on the size of drive.

"Toni B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am taking my computer to be worked on and am wondering how I can
> delete personal info so that no one can read it? I have all my documents
> on cd's. They have been deleted and the recycle bin has been emptied. Is
> this enough?

JTJersey

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:27:24 -0400, Toni B wrote:

> I am taking my computer to be worked on and am wondering how I can
> delete personal info so that no one can read it? I have all my documents
> on cd's. They have been deleted and the recycle bin has been emptied. Is
> this enough?

Unless your taking your computer to the FBI then yes, that should suffice.
If the information is sensitive then you should always erase, not just
delete. A common program such as Directory Snoop can easily reclaim most
deleted files. That being said, there's absolutely no reason that your
repair shop should be poking around with recovery software. If you don't
trust them don't go there. I rarely find it necessary to look at peoples
Document or Picture folders to do a repair. Even if it's necessary to
back-up information for a complete recovery all I need to see are folder
names and then I put them back when I'm done and I always tell the
customer first and get their permission. It's none of my business what's
there. If your asking how to secure your hard drive from a dedicated
search, that's a subject that could take quite a long time. Interesting
stuff though.
--
Registered Linux User #267152