Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Fraudsters stealing personal details from discarded computers

Fraudsters stealing personal details from discarded computers

tedrichardson9925@sbcglobal.net

There are several reports about personal details being harvested from
discarded computers, or from hard drives that aren't properly disposed
of by the repair facility.

The problem is caused because most people only delete their files
before getting rid of a system. If the wrong person gets their hands on
the hardware - the files are easily extracted and identity theft can
occur.

http://fraudwar.blogspot.com/2006/08...etails_16.html

Ernie Werbel

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in message
<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
>There are several reports about personal details being harvested from
>discarded computers, or from hard drives that aren't properly disposed
>of by the repair facility.
>
>The problem is caused because most people only delete their files
>before getting rid of a system. If the wrong person gets their hands on
>the hardware - the files are easily extracted and identity theft can
>occur.
>
>http://fraudwar.blogspot.com/2006/08...onal-details_1

6.html

That is true, in fact you can reformat a hard disk many times and the data
could still be recoverable by advanced techniques. The only sure way to
erase a hard disk is to throw it into an incinerator and burn it, and even
then I would have my worries.

Travis

I wouldn't throw a computer away, I would put it in a recycle plant, Dell
has a recycle plant and there are others.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...