Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > DVD Formats

DVD Formats

Dave C.

With the two -R and +R formats, is one of them becoming a more preferred
format that the other? These formats were described to me similar to the
Beta and VHS where VHS has survived as the defacto standard.

Thanks,

--
Dave C.

Boscoe Pertwee

"Dave C." <myaddress.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> With the two -R and +R formats, is one of them becoming a more preferred
> format that the other? These formats were described to me similar to the
> Beta and VHS where VHS has survived as the defacto standard.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Dave C.

This stems from a brief format tussle in the early days of DVD between two
powerful groups of manufacturers. It has never been full resolved but there
are no significant differences between the two types of disc. They both
record and playback computer and video data and the end result is the same,
namely a disc that should play back on most recent PC drives and DVD
players.

There's hardly any difference, except to the way data is organised and the
speed at which it can be recorded.

Travis

One of them is Dual Layer and one of them is Double layer. I'm not sure
which or what those Layers mean but that's what they are.

Dave C. wrote:
> With the two -R and +R formats, is one of them becoming a more preferred
> format that the other? These formats were described to me similar to the
> Beta and VHS where VHS has survived as the defacto standard.
>
> Thanks,

Dave C.

"Boscoe Pertwee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jlIDg.2900$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Dave C." <myaddress.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> With the two -R and +R formats, is one of them becoming a more preferred
>> format that the other? These formats were described to me similar to the
>> Beta and VHS where VHS has survived as the defacto standard.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dave C.

> This stems from a brief format tussle in the early days of DVD between two
> powerful groups of manufacturers. It has never been full resolved but
> there are no significant differences between the two types of disc. They
> both record and playback computer and video data and the end result is the
> same, namely a disc that should play back on most recent PC drives and DVD
> players.
>
> There's hardly any difference, except to the way data is organised and the
> speed at which it can be recorded.

I have some more info.

I just bought an internal DVD drive (Staples) to replace my slow CD drive
and on the box, it says the below. It is made by I/O Magic Corp. (never
heard of them, made in China,). I bought it on the last day of the sale and
I still can return it (have not installed it yet). I would like any
opinions on this hardware.

On the box, it says, Quoting:
-----------------
"What do you get with this drive?"

You get Dual Format, which means you get to choose the type of media that
best suits your computer and home entertainment system: +R, +RW, -R, -RW, +R
DL, and - R DL.

Also you get Double Layer, which means you can have double the storage
capacity when using double layer DVD discs, from 4.3 gb to 8.5gb.

End quote.

So, I interpret that Dual Format means +R and -R, etc., and Double Layer
(DL) means special discs have two layers and this machine can record on each
independently which doubles the capacity.

A few of the speed specs are Read or Write for CE is 48x and for DVD is
16x. This probably is standard, I would guess.

Thanks,

Dave C