Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Frame Relay Capture?

Frame Relay Capture?

Eric Gamess

Hello,

I do not have a WAN alanizer. I am interrested in some Frame Relay
captures. Can someone send me some? I have a lot of sniffers to
visualize them, included Ethereal, Sniffer Pro, ...

For me, the perfect capture will be a ping (Echo Request/Echo Reply)
comunication.

Thank you very much for your help.

Eric.

you cannot capture the the packets of a wan interface unless you have a kind
of wan analyzer. What you can do is debug the interface and then view the
packets you are receiving via the debug process, try debug frame-relay
packets you will get all of them. Hope this helps

--
2nd Law of Thermodynamics: Chaos will Reign.

///////////////////
--Anthrax--
//////////////////
"Eric Gamess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Hello,
>
> I do not have a WAN alanizer. I am interrested in some Frame Relay
> captures. Can someone send me some? I have a lot of sniffers to
> visualize them, included Ethereal, Sniffer Pro, ...
>
> For me, the perfect capture will be a ping (Echo Request/Echo Reply)
> comunication.
>
> Thank you very much for your help.
>
> Eric.

Eric Gamess

Hello,

Yes, I know that I need a WAN analyzer.
Since I do not have one, I am looking for someone to send
me some captured files. I will only look at then with Ethereal
or another sniffer.

Eric.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
Eric Gamess <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Yes, I know that I need a WAN analyzer.
:Since I do not have one, I am looking for someone to send
:me some captured files. I will only look at then with Ethereal
r another sniffer.

Ethereal is for analyzing Ethernet packets -- I don't believe it is
suitable for analyzing Frame Relay. FR operates over multiple
physical layers such as RS232 and T1, and the frame format is not
consistant with 802.2 or 802.3 ethernet frames.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/..._doc/frame.htm
--
"Who Leads?" / "The men who must... driven men, compelled men."
"Freak men."

Gerard Bok

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 17:05:50 +0000 (UTC),
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>Eric Gamess <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>:Yes, I know that I need a WAN analyzer.
>:Since I do not have one, I am looking for someone to send
>:me some captured files. I will only look at then with Ethereal
>r another sniffer.
>
>Ethereal is for analyzing Ethernet packets -- I don't believe it is
>suitable for analyzing Frame Relay.

Never used it for FR but Frame Relay is listed as supported.

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

yes it does, although personally i never used it for that purpose before i
knew it was possible with some wan analyzers that support the capture in
..cap file format.

see here...

http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethere.../msg00025.html

unfortunatelly i cannot provide you with a sample file.

--
2nd Law of Thermodynamics: Chaos will Reign.

///////////////////
--Anthrax--
//////////////////
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

tcollicutt@hotmail.com

Anthrax wrote:
> yes it does, although personally i never used it for that purpose before i
> knew it was possible with some wan analyzers that support the capture in
> .cap file format.
>
> see here...
>

> http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethere.../msg00025.html
>
> unfortunatelly i cannot provide you with a sample file.
>
> --
> 2nd Law of Thermodynamics: Chaos will Reign.
>
> ///////////////////
> --Anthrax--
> //////////////////
> "Gerard Bok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 17:05:50 +0000 (UTC),
> > (E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote:
> >
> >>In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> >>Eric Gamess <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>:Yes, I know that I need a WAN analyzer.
> >>:Since I do not have one, I am looking for someone to send
> >>:me some captured files. I will only look at then with Ethereal
> >>r another sniffer.
> >>
> >>Ethereal is for analyzing Ethernet packets -- I don't believe it is
> >>suitable for analyzing Frame Relay.

> > Never used it for FR but Frame Relay is listed as supported.
> >
> > --
> > Kind regards,
> > Gerard Bok

Ethereal should be fine. We have an old Network General ( from before
it went to Network Assiciates, and MacAfee, anc back to Network
General) sniffer with RS-232 serial cables which sniffs Frame Relay.
If the old DOS sniffer decoded frame, a new Ethereal should be able to.

Brad

Live capture support under Ethereal depends on many things including
the particular hardware you're using, your operating system, the
version of libpcap/WinPcap that you have installed, and the drivers
you're using. You can use Ethereal to sniff Frame Relay frames using
Linux but it requires the current CVS version of libpcap. According to
the Ethereal website these are the protocols that are supported based
on what OS you're using.

802.11 ATM Ethernet FDDI FrameRelay Loopback Serial TokenRing
AIX ? ? Yes ? ? ? ? Yes
FreeBSD Yes ? Yes ? ? Yes ? Yes
HP-UX ? ? Yes ? No No ? ?
Irix ? ? Yes ? No ? ? No
Linux Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Mac OSX Yes No Yes No No Yes Yes No
NetBSD Yes ? Yes ? ? Yes ? Yes
OpenBSD Yes ? Yes ? ? Yes ? Yes
Solaris ? Yes Yes Yes No No No Yes
Tru64 ? ? Yes ? No Yes ? ?
Windows Yes ? Yes ? No N/A Yes Yes

John Agosta

Email me. I have quite a few captures, mostly raw hex.

ip over frame relay harry Cisco 1 11-28-2003 04:56 PM
Private Frame Relay steps xlate101@yahoo.com Cisco 8 11-18-2003 11:59 PM
frame relay traffic shaping drops pvc occasionally under light load... wr Cisco 0 11-12-2003 09:44 AM
Cable Modem / FT1 Frame Relay hybrid coalition problem Jose E. Calderon Cisco 0 10-23-2003 10:52 AM

Advertisments