Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > pc takes ages to boot

pc takes ages to boot

nuttytart in cyberspace

hi all,
pc has recently started to take anything up to 15 minutes to boot.

hard drive light stays on, dvd rom drive lights flash.

it's going through the sequence but something is causing it to hang.

once running it all seems to be working fine.

any ideas or more info needed?

angie

Ernie Werbel

nuttytart in cyberspace wrote in message ...
>hi all,
>pc has recently started to take anything up to 15 minutes to boot.
>
>hard drive light stays on, dvd rom drive lights flash.
>
>it's going through the sequence but something is causing it to hang.
>
>once running it all seems to be working fine.
>
>any ideas or more info needed?
>
>angie

Not sure if this will help you or not but my PC was also taking forever to boot.
Well it went through the device checking ok but the operating system, Windows 98
took quite literally 10 minutes to go from startup screen to being all ready to
use. This is on a Pentium 3 - 1 GHz / 256MB RAM which is a bit dated but still
adequate. So I solved the problem by running FDISK to reformat the hard disk,
and then I installed Windows 3.1 on it and now everything runs great.
Otherwise, sometimes reformatting and reinstalling the same OS helps get rid of
junk files that have accumulated over time, but I think 3.1 is way better than
98 anyway.

Duane Arnold

nuttytart in cyberspace wrote:
> hi all,
> pc has recently started to take anything up to 15 minutes to boot.
>
> hard drive light stays on, dvd rom drive lights flash.
>
> it's going through the sequence but something is causing it to hang.
>
> once running it all seems to be working fine.
>
> any ideas or more info needed?
>
> angie

It would be nice if you made mention of the O/S.

Duane

nuttytart in cyberspace

"Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
newsmOBg.805$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> nuttytart in cyberspace wrote:
>> hi all,
>> pc has recently started to take anything up to 15 minutes to boot.
>>
>> hard drive light stays on, dvd rom drive lights flash.
>>
>> it's going through the sequence but something is causing it to hang.
>>
>> once running it all seems to be working fine.
>>
>> any ideas or more info needed?
>>
>> angie

> It would be nice if you made mention of the O/S.
>
> Duane

i'm not very good at this am i? )

o/s is xp professional

i have another pc linked by wireless network that is also showing the same
symptoms

angie

Duane Arnold

nuttytart in cyberspace wrote:
> "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
> newsmOBg.805$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
>
>>nuttytart in cyberspace wrote:
>>
>>>hi all,
>>>pc has recently started to take anything up to 15 minutes to boot.
>>>
>>>hard drive light stays on, dvd rom drive lights flash.
>>>
>>>it's going through the sequence but something is causing it to hang.
>>>
>>>once running it all seems to be working fine.
>>>
>>>any ideas or more info needed?
>>>
>>>angie

>>It would be nice if you made mention of the O/S.
>>
>>Duane

> i'm not very good at this am i? )
>
> o/s is xp professional
>
> i have another pc linked by wireless network that is also showing the same
> symptoms
>
> angie

What's file system are the machines using NTFS or FAT32?

Duane

nuttytart in cyberspace

"Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
news:RvOBg.808$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> nuttytart in cyberspace wrote:
>> "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
>> newsmOBg.805$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

>>>It would be nice if you made mention of the O/S.
>>>
>>>Duane

>> i'm not very good at this am i? )
>>
>> o/s is xp professional
>>
>> i have another pc linked by wireless network that is also showing the
>> same symptoms
>>
>> angie

> What's file system are the machines using NTFS or FAT32?
>
> Duane

NTFS
best ask me everything at once or this could go on all night )

Duane Arnold

nuttytart in cyberspace wrote:
> "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
> news:RvOBg.808$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
>
>>nuttytart in cyberspace wrote:
>>
>>>"Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
>>>newsmOBg.805$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...

>>>i'm not very good at this am i? )
>>>
>>>o/s is xp professional
>>>
>>>i have another pc linked by wireless network that is also showing the
>>>same symptoms
>>>
>>>angie

>>What's file system are the machines using NTFS or FAT32?
>>
>>Duane

> NTFS
> best ask me everything at once or this could go on all night )

To be honest, I think you have some kind of malware problem on the
machines, particularly so, if the second machine is slowing down too.

But you could try Error-Checking on the Volumn first to see if it's
detecting errors, which you use Explorer and right-click the drive
letter and select Properties/Tools.

You can also scan the machine with Trend Micro House calls an on-line
scanner that detects thing that an AV running on the machine may have
missed.

You can also post to an AV NG as they can give you other tools you can
use to detected malware that the AV on the machine has missed, if you
don't get advice from someone else here.

Duane

Ernie Werbel

nuttytart in cyberspace wrote in message ...

>"Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
>news:RvOBg.808$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
>> nuttytart in cyberspace wrote:
>>> "Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
>>> newsmOBg.805$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

>>> i'm not very good at this am i? )
>>>
>>> o/s is xp professional
>>>
>>> i have another pc linked by wireless network that is also showing the
>>> same symptoms
>>>
>>> angie

>> What's file system are the machines using NTFS or FAT32?
>>
>> Duane

>NTFS
>best ask me everything at once or this could go on all night )

I'm tellin' ya, get 3.1 and don't turn back. I use 3.1 and it's great. You
don't even have to blink and everything has loaded.

Duane Arnold

Ernie Werbel wrote:
> nuttytart in cyberspace wrote in message ...
>
>>"Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
>>news:RvOBg.808$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...

>>>What's file system are the machines using NTFS or FAT32?
>>>
>>>Duane

>>NTFS
>>best ask me everything at once or this could go on all night )
>>

> I'm tellin' ya, get 3.1 and don't turn back. I use 3.1 and it's great. You
> don't even have to blink and everything has loaded.

What are you some kind of lunatic? Windows 3.1 time has come and gone
in the home user environment. It's so old and outdated that my
Grandmothers wouldn't even use it. I am 50 something and they are both
dead.

Duane

Ernie Werbel

Duane Arnold <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> > wrote in message
>Ernie Werbel wrote:
>> nuttytart in cyberspace wrote in message ...
>>
>>>"Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
>>>news:RvOBg.808$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...

>>>NTFS
>>>best ask me everything at once or this could go on all night )
>>>

>> I'm tellin' ya, get 3.1 and don't turn back. I use 3.1 and it's great. You
>> don't even have to blink and everything has loaded.
>>

>What are you some kind of lunatic? Windows 3.1 time has come and gone
>in the home user environment. It's so old and outdated that my
>Grandmothers wouldn't even use it. I am 50 something and they are both
>dead.
>
>Duane

Well yes in a way. I'm looney over having a computer that does what I need it
to do and doesn't take forever to do it. If then makes me looney then I'm proud
of it! (-: