Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Master/Slave designations should be changed

Master/Slave designations should be changed

I have been thinking that perhaps in the interest of being politically-correct,
the Master/Slave designations on hard disks and CDROM drives should be changed
to simply Primary/Secondary, respectively. There could be some black --excuse
me-- African-American computer technicians out there who have roots going back
to the days of slavery, and the current designation may be offensive to them.

Ok I'm sure you can tell that I am being a bit fasecious but it's all in good
fun.

Bobby

0054040905416 wrote:
> I have been thinking that perhaps in the interest of being politically-correct,
> the Master/Slave designations on hard disks and CDROM drives should be changed
> to simply Primary/Secondary, respectively. There could be some black --excuse
> me-- African-American computer technicians out there who have roots going back
> to the days of slavery, and the current designation may be offensive to them.
>
> Ok I'm sure you can tell that I am being a bit fasecious but it's all in good
> fun.

Now that you mention it, my "Primary" DVD burner has a black
faceplate and my "Secondary" DVD burner has a cream colored faceplate.
I feel that if I make the move to switch the two one of the two drives
may feel disgruntled and choose not to work and perhaps fail. The
switch might also draw attention to the fact that the "OLD" floppy
drive gets his own power supply and ribbon cable. If I were confronted
with why this was true, my only answer could be that "He has been
around the longest, and that is the way it has always been." This
would lead to even more disgruntled flash drives who say "We are newer
and younger and faster. What's up with the old guy?"

I have tried to explain to my components that the original idea was
to use ones and zeros, but was chastised and accused of trying to
suppress the computer's heritage. The printer overheard me and now
want's a "gender changer" and will go on strike if I do not
provide it. Now the "secondary" drive (01) is complaining of a
glass ceiling and why can't I hire another "01" drive. The
mouseport now want's wireless. I suspect the keyboard will be
complaining soon, as well. The processor now wants a fan controller
because it now suffers from hot flashes. The fans heard that and are
now asking for LEDs because they don't get enough attention.

Humor aside, it is rather a shame that we, as components of humanity,
find it easier to complain on what we CANNOT do rather than focus on
what we CAN do. That is making the world a better place.

Your analogy is just fine and very politically correct. Somewhere
out there some idiot will complain about that rather than strive to
mold the future. It's in our hands, let us make the best of it.

Cheers,
Bobby