Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Easy Data Recovery?

Easy Data Recovery?

trevordixon@gmail.com

I decided I wanted to try Linux, so I installed Ubuntu in another
partion on my hard drive. It worked great and so I decided to delete my
Windows partition and give the space to Linux. I downloaded GParted
(gparted.sourceforge.net) and burned a Live CD. Here's how my hard
drive looked at this point:

+--------------------------+-----------------+--------------+
| Windows (NTFS) | Linux | Linux Swap |
| 16/17 GB Used | 10/11 GB Used | |
+--------------------------+-----------------+--------------+

I booted into GParted and performed the following steps:

1) Delete Windows partition
2) Copy and paste Linux into Windows position
3) Delete original Linux partition
4) Resize copy of old Linux partition to take the remaining space

I clicked apply and 30 seconds later it finished. I restarted the
computer and to my dismay it wouldn't boot off the hard drive. I booted
into a Ubuntu Live CD, and found my hard drive looking like this:

+--------------------------------------------+--------------+
| Linux 12 GB | Linux Swap |
| .5/28 GB Used | |
+--------------------------------------------+--------------+

Only about 1/20 of the space that should be used is being used! When I
mount the partition, there's only a "Lost+Found" folder that I can't
open! Is there any way I can get my 10 GB of data back?

Thanks,
Trevor

Uplink

click and select manage flags, then check 'boot' and restart the
computer. it should work then.

> I decided I wanted to try Linux, so I installed Ubuntu in another
> partion on my hard drive. It worked great and so I decided to delete my
> Windows partition and give the space to Linux. I downloaded GParted
> (gparted.sourceforge.net) and burned a Live CD. Here's how my hard
> drive looked at this point:
>
> +--------------------------+-----------------+--------------+
> | Windows (NTFS) | Linux | Linux Swap |
> | 16/17 GB Used | 10/11 GB Used | |
> +--------------------------+-----------------+--------------+
>
> I booted into GParted and performed the following steps:
>
> 1) Delete Windows partition
> 2) Copy and paste Linux into Windows position
> 3) Delete original Linux partition
> 4) Resize copy of old Linux partition to take the remaining space
>
> I clicked apply and 30 seconds later it finished. I restarted the
> computer and to my dismay it wouldn't boot off the hard drive. I booted
> into a Ubuntu Live CD, and found my hard drive looking like this:
>
> +--------------------------------------------+--------------+
> | Linux 12 GB | Linux Swap |
> | .5/28 GB Used | |
> +--------------------------------------------+--------------+
>
> Only about 1/20 of the space that should be used is being used! When I
> mount the partition, there's only a "Lost+Found" folder that I can't
> open! Is there any way I can get my 10 GB of data back?
>
> Thanks,
> Trevor

trevordixon@gmail.com

It didn't work. Grub gives me error 22. Any suggestions?

Uplink wrote:
> click and select manage flags, then check 'boot' and restart the
> computer. it should work then.
>

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I decided I wanted to try Linux, so I installed Ubuntu in another
> > partion on my hard drive. It worked great and so I decided to delete my
> > Windows partition and give the space to Linux. I downloaded GParted
> > (gparted.sourceforge.net) and burned a Live CD. Here's how my hard
> > drive looked at this point:
> >
> > +--------------------------+-----------------+--------------+
> > | Windows (NTFS) | Linux | Linux Swap |
> > | 16/17 GB Used | 10/11 GB Used | |
> > +--------------------------+-----------------+--------------+
> >
> > I booted into GParted and performed the following steps:
> >
> > 1) Delete Windows partition
> > 2) Copy and paste Linux into Windows position
> > 3) Delete original Linux partition
> > 4) Resize copy of old Linux partition to take the remaining space
> >
> > I clicked apply and 30 seconds later it finished. I restarted the
> > computer and to my dismay it wouldn't boot off the hard drive. I booted
> > into a Ubuntu Live CD, and found my hard drive looking like this:
> >
> > +--------------------------------------------+--------------+
> > | Linux 12 GB | Linux Swap |
> > | .5/28 GB Used | |
> > +--------------------------------------------+--------------+
> >
> > Only about 1/20 of the space that should be used is being used! When I
> > mount the partition, there's only a "Lost+Found" folder that I can't
> > open! Is there any way I can get my 10 GB of data back?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Trevor

(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> It didn't work. Grub gives me error 22. Any suggestions?

It sounds to me like the boot sector may have gotten damaged when you
deleted the Windows partition. Perhaps you can use a MS-DOS boot disk and
get the files off? Or re-install Windows and it should rewrite the boot
sector and give you a menu at startup allowing you to choose which OS to
boot.

trevordixon@gmail.com

But why is only 600 MB of space used on my Linux partition when there
was 10 GB of data there before?

0054040905416 wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > It didn't work. Grub gives me error 22. Any suggestions?

> It sounds to me like the boot sector may have gotten damaged when you
> deleted the Windows partition. Perhaps you can use a MS-DOS boot disk and
> get the files off? Or re-install Windows and it should rewrite the boot
> sector and give you a menu at startup allowing you to choose which OS to
> boot.

That I cannot say. I don't use Linux, soryy.

<(E-Mail Removed). com>...