Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Segate 160 GB SATA Nightmare! HELP!

Segate 160 GB SATA Nightmare! HELP!

josephclange@gmail.com

Hi all-- Hopefully someone can help.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600, 2ghz, 1 gb RAM. I recently bought a
Serial ATA PCMCIA card so i could hookup a Seagate Barracuda 160 GB
drive. It is an internal 3.5" drive that i am running externally- with
an enclosure.

I went through all the Disk Wizard setup with no problem - it said i
formatted the drive and everything should be peachy. But when i try to
access the drive through Windows XP, it says it is not formatted. I
have tried many times to format it through Disk Manager, but it is
extremely slow... (only 23% OVERNIGHT).

All drivers are current, and cannot be updated. I have also gone to
the dell.com site and updated my BIOS - but to no avail. The PCMCIA
card seems to work fine-- the drive is recognized but it is seen as
formatted.

Another thing-- when the SATA cables are hooked up and i restart, my
laptop stalls on the "Windows XP with scrolling status bar" and will
stay there forever, until i power down, and disconnect the cable.

I can't seem to crack this one. Any options?

Ernie Werbel

I had a similar problem. Check for a loose SATA connector. That caused
hangups for me when Windows was loading and formatting errors.

IDE was working great. I can't see why they can't just leave well enough
alone.

Good luck!

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in message
<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
>Hi all-- Hopefully someone can help.
>
>I have a Dell Inspiron 8600, 2ghz, 1 gb RAM. I recently bought a
>Serial ATA PCMCIA card so i could hookup a Seagate Barracuda 160 GB
>drive. It is an internal 3.5" drive that i am running externally- with
>an enclosure.
>
>I went through all the Disk Wizard setup with no problem - it said i
>formatted the drive and everything should be peachy. But when i try to
>access the drive through Windows XP, it says it is not formatted. I
>have tried many times to format it through Disk Manager, but it is
>extremely slow... (only 23% OVERNIGHT).
>
>All drivers are current, and cannot be updated. I have also gone to
>the dell.com site and updated my BIOS - but to no avail. The PCMCIA
>card seems to work fine-- the drive is recognized but it is seen as
>formatted.
>
>Another thing-- when the SATA cables are hooked up and i restart, my
>laptop stalls on the "Windows XP with scrolling status bar" and will
>stay there forever, until i power down, and disconnect the cable.
>
>I can't seem to crack this one. Any options?

Teh White Recluse

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 15:29:27 GMT, in alt.computer "Ernie Werbel"
<no_spam_please@fake_email_address.xyz> wrote:

|IDE was working great. I can't see why they can't just leave well enough
|alone.

Bandwidth=big pipes\speed

bmoag

Actually there is a physical limit to how fast magnetic info can be read off
a platter that is slower than current IDE/SATA transmission standards. That
is why the new trend is to include flash memory in hard drives and try to
develop predictive caching schemes that will prefetch needed data and
temporarily store it in the more rapidly accessible flash memory.
All of this is a stopgap until flash memory, electronic or some form of
holography, completely replaces the dinosaur magnetic hard drive that still
runs on "winchester" technology developed in the 1950s.
O brave new world that hath no fossil fuel left and is hotter than the
surface of Venus . . .

- Bobb -

"bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4E5zg.59453$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Actually there is a physical limit to how fast magnetic info can be
> read off a platter that is slower than current IDE/SATA transmission
> standards. That is why the new trend is to include flash memory in
> hard drives and try to develop predictive caching schemes that will
> prefetch needed data and temporarily store it in the more rapidly
> accessible flash memory.
> All of this is a stopgap until flash memory, electronic or some form
> of holography, completely replaces the dinosaur magnetic hard drive
> that still runs on "winchester" technology developed in the 1950s.

Which was used because it was cheaper than boxes of core memory.
Seems like eventually we're going full circle.