Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Connecting a computer to a Plasma TV

Connecting a computer to a Plasma TV

Steve Bosell

I'm about to purchase a 42" Plasma TV and I would like to connect one of my
PC's to it so that I can view photos, etc.on it. Do I need to have a PC
connector (VGA, etc.) on the TV, or will a "s-video" connection work just as
well? (my PC's video card has an s-video output). Or, would I be better
off shopping for a TV that does have a bonefide computer hook up?

Not that it probably matters but this PC isn't my primary PC, it's just one
that I have connected over a wireless network, and I will only be using it
to bring content to my big screen TV.

Thanks all!

bmoag

There are a variety of ways to connect a computer to a regular or HDTV.
However many HDTVs specifically warn against doing so in their instruction
manuals. I would presume this is because of concern that if left unattended
and the computer outputs the same screen image for an extended period the
display could be damaged.

atec77

Steve Bosell wrote:
> I'm about to purchase a 42" Plasma TV and I would like to connect one of my
> PC's to it so that I can view photos, etc.on it. Do I need to have a PC
> connector (VGA, etc.) on the TV, or will a "s-video" connection work just as
> well? (my PC's video card has an s-video output). Or, would I be better
> off shopping for a TV that does have a bonefide computer hook up?
>
> Not that it probably matters but this PC isn't my primary PC, it's just one
> that I have connected over a wireless network, and I will only be using it
> to bring content to my big screen TV.
>
> Thanks all!

I used S-video and left the screen saver at 7 minutes in case its
unatended.
Check the details as many screens wont handle more than 800 x 600

MarkMandell

"Steve Bosell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I'm about to purchase a 42" Plasma TV and I would like to connect one of
> my PC's to it so that I can view photos, etc.on it. Do I need to have a
> PC connector (VGA, etc.) on the TV, or will a "s-video" connection work
> just as well? (my PC's video card has an s-video output). Or, would I be
> better off shopping for a TV that does have a bonefide computer hook up?
>
> Not that it probably matters but this PC isn't my primary PC, it's just
> one that I have connected over a wireless network, and I will only be
> using it to bring content to my big screen TV.
>
> Thanks all!

This should be OK but you DON'T want to DVD's from the PC(if you have a DVD
player on it)through the plasma. It'll wreck it in no time flat!

Steve Bosell

Thanks, this PC only has a CD drive so I won't be using it to play DVD's,
but I'm curious, why would it harm the plasma TV if I did play DVD's from
the computer?
> This should be OK but you DON'T want to DVD's from the PC(if you have a
> DVD player on it)through the plasma. It'll wreck it in no time flat!

Sjouke Burry

atec77 wrote:
> Steve Bosell wrote:
>
>> I'm about to purchase a 42" Plasma TV and I would like to connect one
>> of my PC's to it so that I can view photos, etc.on it. Do I need to
>> have a PC connector (VGA, etc.) on the TV, or will a "s-video"
>> connection work just as well? (my PC's video card has an s-video
>> output). Or, would I be better off shopping for a TV that does have a
>> bonefide computer hook up?
>>
>> Not that it probably matters but this PC isn't my primary PC, it's
>> just one that I have connected over a wireless network, and I will
>> only be using it to bring content to my big screen TV.
>>
>> Thanks all!
>>

> I used S-video and left the screen saver at 7 minutes in case its
> unatended.
> Check the details as many screens wont handle more than 800 x 600

A plasma screen is very prone to burn in, so
I would not advise to use it for computer
screens. Even tv logos may become permanently
visible.