Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > AST Premium Exec vintage laptops - need help with power adapter

AST Premium Exec vintage laptops - need help with power adapter

Ernie Werbel

I have a couple of vintage AST Premium Exec laptops that I need help with.
The first one, a 386SX/20, was given to me by a friend. It did not come
with a power adapter. So I found another one on eBay, a 386SX/25 that did
come with a power adapter, and ended up getting it for $11 with the
shipping. Not a bad deal. Ok so the one I purchased had a pin stuck in one
of the holes of the socket, so the seller never tested it. I got it out and
plugged it in and the LED on the power adapter illuminates, so I think it is
good. However the laptop (the one from eBay) does not turn on. I tried the
adapter in the other laptop and that didn't work, either. I can't imagine
both laptops would be bad but I guess it is a possibility, although my
friend said his worked when it was last used. Could this perhaps be the
wrong power adapter? The seller listed it with a $2 buy-it-now and was
mostly selling home decor, so I don't think this was their area of
expertise... so it could have been the wrong voltage. It says Model EPA36,
11V. I'm hoping I did not fry the laptops! Perhaps someone can verify the
correct model number power adapter that goes with these computers? Any help
would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping I can get at least one of the
retro laptops working within a month for use at college, so I can be really
geeky!