Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Dead PC

Dead PC

Ernie Werbel

I have a PC that was working fine, then I heard a sparking sound and now it
doesn't start up. No power supply fans, nothing. It is completely dead. I
would imagine that a fault on one of the boards would have caused error
beeps, but there's nothing. You think the power supply is bad? It is an
Echo-Star and I had it installed only 5 days. Chinese garbage I presume.

RjK

It's either power supply (most likely) or the motherboard. Go to a local
computer store and ask for an old power supply to test.

Ernie Werbel

RjK wrote in message <(E-Mail Removed)>...
>It's either power supply (most likely) or the motherboard. Go to a local
>computer store and ask for an old power supply to test.

I ended up buying a CompUSA 500-watt power supply so that was the problem.
Now the computer loads the Windows XP startup screen and freezes. Not even
the mouse will respond. I am seriously thinking of going back to using 3.1.
Any suggestions?

Anon

Ernie Werbel wrote:

> I ended up buying a CompUSA 500-watt power supply so that was the problem.
> Now the computer loads the Windows XP startup screen and freezes. Not even
> the mouse will respond. I am seriously thinking of going back to using 3.1.
> Any suggestions?

Maybe your computer is too old. Why do you still use Windows 3.1?

Bob

Ernie Werbel wrote:
> RjK wrote in message <(E-Mail Removed)>...
> >It's either power supply (most likely) or the motherboard. Go to a local
> >computer store and ask for an old power supply to test.

> I ended up buying a CompUSA 500-watt power supply so that was the problem.
> Now the computer loads the Windows XP startup screen and freezes. Not even
> the mouse will respond. I am seriously thinking of going back to using 3.1.
> Any suggestions?

Keep me advised of what you find. I have upgraded an older pc and just
loaded xp home. It appeared to load ok, but on initial startup it
freezes at the Windows startup screen also. I'm thinking it's the BIOS
but not sure. Will attempt to load a newer version (if there is one)
and try again. If not, it's reformatting & going back to 98SE. Damn,
I HATE microsoft software!!!

Bob

Ernie Werbel

Anon wrote in message <(E-Mail Removed)>...

>Maybe your computer is too old. Why do you still use Windows 3.1?

The computer I am building is a Pentium D 2.8 gigacycles per second using
new parts. 3.1 is great because before you even blink, it has loaded
everything. XP takes minutes just to load. Besides, I mainly use the
computer for typing school reports, for which Word 6.0 for Windows suits me
just fine. After all, how sophisticated of a typing program does one need?

Ernie Werbel

Bob wrote in message
<(E-Mail Removed) om>...

>Keep me advised of what you find. I have upgraded an older pc and just
>loaded xp home. It appeared to load ok, but on initial startup it
>freezes at the Windows startup screen also. I'm thinking it's the BIOS
>but not sure. Will attempt to load a newer version (if there is one)
>and try again. If not, it's reformatting & going back to 98SE. Damn,
>I HATE microsoft software!!!
>
>Bob

Hey, Bob. I like Microsoft (well anything for 3.1 and older), but I don't
like the new stuff. The hardware is giving me trouble as well. IDE was
going fine with no problems, now these SATA connectors are bad. I ended up
last night taking it to CompUSA to let them deal with it. $100 would be
worth it if it garuntees everything will be working. I should hope to hear
from them sometime next week.

It just seems like the manufacturers blatently change things for little more
reason than the sake of change. I mean, IDE was going fine for about 20
years (to my knowledge, maybe older?) but no, that's not cool enough anymore
so they make entirely new equipment.

What I don't like about the newer operating systems is that they force
computer upgrades with each iteration. Go from 3.1 to 95 and I needed 128MB
of RAM. Go up to ME and I needed to up it to 512. Since getting XP (on
another machine) I have maxxed it to 1GB of RAM and it still runs slow. I
should think that newer operating systems would incorporate more efficient
code that would make better use of the memory that is there but that does
not seem to be the case at all.

I wish you the best of luck in your situation! Please let me know how it
turns out as well.

Ernie

Bob

Ernie Werbel wrote:
> Bob wrote in message
> <(E-Mail Removed) om>...
>
> >Keep me advised of what you find. I have upgraded an older pc and just
> >loaded xp home. It appeared to load ok, but on initial startup it
> >freezes at the Windows startup screen also. I'm thinking it's the BIOS
> >but not sure. Will attempt to load a newer version (if there is one)
> >and try again. If not, it's reformatting & going back to 98SE. Damn,
> >I HATE microsoft software!!!
> >
> >Bob

> Hey, Bob. I like Microsoft (well anything for 3.1 and older), but I don't
> like the new stuff. The hardware is giving me trouble as well. IDE was
> going fine with no problems, now these SATA connectors are bad. I ended up
> last night taking it to CompUSA to let them deal with it. $100 would be
> worth it if it garuntees everything will be working. I should hope to hear
> from them sometime next week.
>
> It just seems like the manufacturers blatently change things for little more
> reason than the sake of change. I mean, IDE was going fine for about 20
> years (to my knowledge, maybe older?) but no, that's not cool enough anymore
> so they make entirely new equipment.
>
> What I don't like about the newer operating systems is that they force
> computer upgrades with each iteration. Go from 3.1 to 95 and I needed 128MB
> of RAM. Go up to ME and I needed to up it to 512. Since getting XP (on
> another machine) I have maxxed it to 1GB of RAM and it still runs slow. I
> should think that newer operating systems would incorporate more efficient
> code that would make better use of the memory that is there but that does
> not seem to be the case at all.
>
> I wish you the best of luck in your situation! Please let me know how it
> turns out as well.
>
> Ernie

Hey Ernie,

I got mine working - almost. It was hanging during the XP initial
bootup. I ran it in safe mode (pressing f8 during bootup) and it
stepped thru the boot sequence to the point of checking drivers, but
wouldn't tell me which one was bad. In a big book of XP Secrets there
was an obscure note to the effect if drivers were the suspect, don't
forget to turn off the USB driver in the BIOS. Sure enough, that was
the bad one. So now I've got XP up & running, but don't have any USB
functions. I will download the latest USB driver from the chipset
manufacturer & hope that gets me all the way up.
Good luck on yours.
Bob

Dead TCP/IP Stack = DEAD VISTA !! Skybuck Flying Windows 64bit 15 09-23-2007 07:54 PM
AdBlock Dead Firefox 3 12-09-2005 11:54 PM
Dead Firefox windows Doug Cunningly Firefox 3 07-22-2005 08:32 AM
Firefox cache glitch - the dead rise again! Jim Firefox 1 03-22-2005 09:48 PM
Dead... the damn thing's dead... David Dean Computer Support 9 01-30-2004 02:54 AM

Advertisments