Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Dual monitor video card, which one?

Dual monitor video card, which one?

Bazzer Smith

I am thinking of getting one of these as an alternative to a big monitor.

However I am not familliar with video card jargon and I am baffled by
them, it's like decyphering the enigma code reading about them.

Anyway my current 'card' is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200G, what card
would be suitable for me to run two monitors.

I could go to Radeons sit and try to figure it out from there but
I will probably die of old age before I understand all the goobledegook.

For example here is mycard:-

http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200/specs.html

I understand the first two lines of the spec the rest is b***ocks.

How do I go from there to finding a duel version of the card?
Is there a university course I could attend?

I expect when I find out nobody wil sell it anyway.

Bazzer Smith

"Bazzer Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7xwxg.46697$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am thinking of getting one of these as an alternative to a big monitor.
>
> However I am not familliar with video card jargon and I am baffled by
> them, it's like decyphering the enigma code reading about them.
>
> Anyway my current 'card' is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200G, what card
> would be suitable for me to run two monitors.
>
> I could go to Radeons sit and try to figure it out from there but
> I will probably die of old age before I understand all the goobledegook.
>
> For example here is mycard:-
>
> http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200/specs.html
>
> I understand the first two lines of the spec the rest is b***ocks.
>

> How do I go from there to finding a duel version of the card?
> Is there a university course I could attend?
>
> I expect when I find out nobody wil sell it anyway.

Hmmm but whats this?
"SURROUNDVIEWT support for up to three monitors with an ATI discrete
graphics card
a.. Dual independent displays: CRT/LCD, TV/LCD "

So what doee a that mean?

Bazzer Smith

"Bazzer Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ICwxg.46698$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bazzer Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:7xwxg.46697$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am thinking of getting one of these as an alternative to a big monitor.
>>
>> However I am not familliar with video card jargon and I am baffled by
>> them, it's like decyphering the enigma code reading about them.
>>
>> Anyway my current 'card' is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200G, what card
>> would be suitable for me to run two monitors.
>>
>> I could go to Radeons sit and try to figure it out from there but
>> I will probably die of old age before I understand all the goobledegook.
>>
>> For example here is mycard:-
>>
>> http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200/specs.html
>>
>> I understand the first two lines of the spec the rest is b***ocks.
>>

>> How do I go from there to finding a duel version of the card?
>> Is there a university course I could attend?
>>
>> I expect when I find out nobody wil sell it anyway.

> Hmmm but whats this?
> "SURROUNDVIEWT support for up to three monitors with an ATI discrete
> graphics card
> a.. Dual independent displays: CRT/LCD, TV/LCD "
>

> So what doee a that mean?

Rod Speed

Bazzer Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am thinking of getting one of these as an alternative to a big
> monitor.
> However I am not familliar with video card jargon and I am baffled by
> them, it's like decyphering the enigma code reading about them.
>
> Anyway my current 'card' is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200G, what card
> would be suitable for me to run two monitors.
>
> I could go to Radeons sit and try to figure it out from there but
> I will probably die of old age before I understand all the
> goobledegook.
> For example here is mycard:-
>
> http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200/specs.html
>
> I understand the first two lines of the spec the rest is b***ocks.

Even you should have been able to find the block labelled

Multiple Display Features
Dual independent displays: CRT/LCD, TV/LCD

|-)

> How do I go from there to finding a duel version of the card?

Its already a dual version. If you want a duel version,
you will have to buy some swords or pistols etc.

> Is there a university course I could attend?

Nope, you're too stupid |-)

> I expect when I find out nobody wil sell it anyway.

You could cut to the chase and just hang yourself or sumfin |-)

Rod Speed

Bazzer Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Bazzer Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:7xwxg.46697$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am thinking of getting one of these as an alternative to a big
>> monitor. However I am not familliar with video card jargon and I am baffled by
>> them, it's like decyphering the enigma code reading about them.
>>
>> Anyway my current 'card' is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200G, what card
>> would be suitable for me to run two monitors.
>>
>> I could go to Radeons sit and try to figure it out from there but
>> I will probably die of old age before I understand all the
>> goobledegook. For example here is mycard:-
>>
>> http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200/specs.html
>>
>> I understand the first two lines of the spec the rest is b***ocks.
>>

>> How do I go from there to finding a duel version of the card?
>> Is there a university course I could attend?
>>
>> I expect when I find out nobody wil sell it anyway.

> Hmmm but whats this?
> "SURROUNDVIEWT support for up to three monitors with an ATI discrete
> graphics card
> a.. Dual independent displays: CRT/LCD, TV/LCD "
>

> So what doee a that mean?

That it will do two monitors.

Bazzer Smith

"Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bazzer Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I am thinking of getting one of these as an alternative to a big
>> monitor.
>> However I am not familliar with video card jargon and I am baffled by
>> them, it's like decyphering the enigma code reading about them.
>>
>> Anyway my current 'card' is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200G, what card
>> would be suitable for me to run two monitors.
>>
>> I could go to Radeons sit and try to figure it out from there but
>> I will probably die of old age before I understand all the
>> goobledegook.
>> For example here is mycard:-
>>
>> http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200/specs.html
>>
>> I understand the first two lines of the spec the rest is b***ocks.

> Even you should have been able to find the block labelled
>
> Multiple Display Features
> Dual independent displays: CRT/LCD, TV/LCD
>
> |-)
>
>> How do I go from there to finding a duel version of the card?

> Its already a dual version. If you want a duel version,
> you will have to buy some swords or pistols etc.
>
>> Is there a university course I could attend?

> Nope, you're too stupid |-)
>
>> I expect when I find out nobody wil sell it anyway.

> You could cut to the chase and just hang yourself or sumfin |-)

I wil take that as a "I don't know but I will pretend I do"

Bazzer Smith

"Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bazzer Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Bazzer Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:7xwxg.46697$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I am thinking of getting one of these as an alternative to a big
>>> monitor. However I am not familliar with video card jargon and I am
>>> baffled by
>>> them, it's like decyphering the enigma code reading about them.
>>>
>>> Anyway my current 'card' is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200G, what card
>>> would be suitable for me to run two monitors.
>>>
>>> I could go to Radeons sit and try to figure it out from there but
>>> I will probably die of old age before I understand all the
>>> goobledegook. For example here is mycard:-
>>>
>>> http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200/specs.html
>>>
>>> I understand the first two lines of the spec the rest is b***ocks.
>>>

>>> How do I go from there to finding a duel version of the card?
>>> Is there a university course I could attend?
>>>
>>> I expect when I find out nobody wil sell it anyway.

>> Hmmm but whats this?
>> "SURROUNDVIEWT support for up to three monitors with an ATI discrete
>> graphics card
>> a.. Dual independent displays: CRT/LCD, TV/LCD "
>>

>> So what doee a that mean?

> That it will do two monitors.

But there is only one connection for a monitor on the card so how will
it manage that, Einstein?

Paul

In article <7xwxg.46697$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Bazzer Smith"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am thinking of getting one of these as an alternative to a big monitor.
>
> However I am not familliar with video card jargon and I am baffled by
> them, it's like decyphering the enigma code reading about them.
>
> Anyway my current 'card' is a ATI Radeon Xpress 200G, what card
> would be suitable for me to run two monitors.
>
> I could go to Radeons sit and try to figure it out from there but
> I will probably die of old age before I understand all the goobledegook.
>
> For example here is mycard:-
>
> http://www.ati.com/products/radeonxpress200/specs.html
>
> I understand the first two lines of the spec the rest is b***ocks.
>

> How do I go from there to finding a duel version of the card?
> Is there a university course I could attend?
>
> I expect when I find out nobody wil sell it anyway.

If you look at page 8, the basic architecture of a modern video
card is shown. (The PDF code on this page is complex and it will
take a few seconds before the diagram on page 8, appears in
acrobat reader.)

http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx1...Whitepaper.pdf

The two cores you see on the left of the picture, typically
result in two entried in Device Manager. In a sense, it is
like they are separate video cards, but contained within the
one card.

The output can be steered to the various output options.
You could do two VGA analog displays, a VGA plus a TV (Svideo)
display, VGA plus a DVI digital, and so on. I don't know if
it is possible to do three displays at the same time, as there
are only two "cores" on the left of the figure, to drive the
outputs at a particular resolution choice.

While I haven't found a similar figure for Nvidia cards, it
is the same basic idea for them.

Just make sure, when you buy a video card, that the
connector types on the faceplate, are suited to your monitors.
For example, if you have an expensive 30" LCD that requires
dual-link DVI, then you'd want to shop pretty carefully for
a card. If you have a couple of basic $300 1280x1024 LCDs,
then a lot more cards with single-link DVI would be suitable.

If a card has DVI-I connectors, the connector carries two interfaces
on it. There are DVI-D pins, which is the digital component. A
DVI-D LCD monitor can plug in there. The video card may also
come with a DVI-I to VGA adapter, and the adapter just grabs
the analog signals off the DVI-I connector and sends them to
the 15 pin VGA connector. If you use VGA monitors, make sure the
video card you buy, comes with the adapter dongle to convert a
DVI-I connector to VGA.

All manner of output connectors are available. On the cheapest
cards, you might get s-video (TV), a DVI-I and a VGA. To drive
two VGA monitors, you would need one DVI-I to VGA adapter in
the package, to complete the job. Obviously, a card like that
cannot drive two DVI-D LCDs.

More expensive cards may have s-video (TV) plus two DVI-I
connectors. You would need two DVI-I to VGA adapters in the
package, in order to drive two VGA monitors. If driving two
LCDs digitally, the two DVI connectors on that card would be
ideal.

For large monitors, you'll want to read up on dual-link DVI.
Basically, more of the pins on the connector are populated,
and the interface has double the bandwidth. (Dual-link does
not mean two connectors - it is a doubling of bandwidth on
a single connector, due to the connector having twice as many
signals on it.) If you don't have a big monitor, then don't
worry about this. Since dual-link typically requires some
extra Silicon Image transmitter chips on the video card,
don't expect to find dual-link interfaces on the cheapest
of video cards. To drive two 30" monitors, you'd need
a card with "dual dual-link connectors".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-link_DVI

When you get your new video card, there will usually be
a little trick in the control panel, to enabling dual
displays. So don't be surprised if the setup method is
not clear to you. Generally, finding an ATI CCC.pdf or
a Forceware User Manual, will make it clear as to what
must be done.

http://www.visiontek.com/teksupport/...nter_guide.pdf
ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/84...User_Guide.pdf

HTH,
Paul

Bazzer Smith

> [...]

> a single connector, due to the connector having twice as many
> signals on it.) If you don't have a big monitor, then don't
> worry about this. Since dual-link typically requires some
> extra Silicon Image transmitter chips on the video card,
> don't expect to find dual-link interfaces on the cheapest
> of video cards. To drive two 30" monitors, you'd need
> a card with "dual dual-link connectors".
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-link_DVI
>
> When you get your new video card, there will usually be
> a little trick in the control panel, to enabling dual
> displays. So don't be surprised if the setup method is
> not clear to you. Generally, finding an ATI CCC.pdf or
> a Forceware User Manual, will make it clear as to what
> must be done.
>
> http://www.visiontek.com/teksupport/...nter_guide.pdf
> ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/84...User_Guide.pdf

Oh so it's fairly straight forward them :O$

I don't realy unsterstand any of that :O)

I have a bog standard monitor and I want to add another.

I don't really want to wade through thousands of pages of technical jargon
as I am planning on adding a second monitor whilst I am still alive :O|

Rod Speed

Bazzer Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> Bazzer Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> Bazzer Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> Hmmm but whats this?
>>> "SURROUNDVIEWT support for up to three monitors with an ATI discrete
>>> graphics card
>>> a.. Dual independent displays: CRT/LCD, TV/LCD "
>>>

>>> So what doee a that mean?

>> That it will do two monitors.

> But there is only one connection for a monitor on the card

Where are you getting that from ?