Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Home network Q?

Home network Q?

JJ

I'm new to networking so please bear with me.
I've set up a home network with 2 pcs, cable modem and a router.
The main pc sees everything on the network, the second pc sees the shared
files ok.
I set an external HD (E) to be shared on the network, so I could back-up the
second pc without moving the ext hd each time.
The second pc doesn't see it on the network. I set file sharing to include
the entire drive but it still doesn't see it.
Is there another setting I must change? I'm using xp pro on the main and xp
home on the secondary pc.

Thanks in advance!

RjK

For the share, did you create a new share name, or did you use the default
E$?

Try browsing to the computer with the E Drive, and for the address change
it to \\server name\e$ if you see the drive then all you need to do is
change the share name.

jgkolt

Another thing that i normally check is on windows xp professional(not
home) go to control panel-> administrative tools-> local security
settings and find the key somewhere so that changes the login user from
guest to classic login. You can also make sure they are on the same
Domain and maybe use the windows networking wizard. Hope this helps