Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Standard or Widescreen monitor?

Standard or Widescreen monitor?

André Coutanche

Owain wrote:

> Remember to get the same *height* you need to buy a bigger diagonal
> screen size with widescreen compared to ordinary screen.

Indeed. Pythagoras, anyone?

André Coutanche

RR2006

"charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <LIUvg.11866$u%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Bazzer Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I feel like turning my monitor through 90 degrees, can you do this with
>> some monitors?

> Yes, my 20" Dell does this.

Even my HP do this and automatically detect when you rotate the monitor to
adjust the image. If I remember well, this feature is called "pivot".

--
Andrea

Owain

André Coutanche wrote:
>>Remember to get the same *height* you need to buy a bigger diagonal
>>screen size with widescreen compared to ordinary screen.

> Indeed. Pythagoras, anyone?

The squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sum of the squaws on the
other two sides?

Owain

b33k34@hotmail.com

Bazzer Smith wrote:
> I am probably thinking a big standard shape monitor would be best?
> I incidently I have a Freecom DTTV stick so I sometime watch TV
> on my PC, but the monitor shape is not really a problem as you watch in
> a nicely framed box, you don't get black ugly bars wasteing space as you
> do on a proper TV.

If you watch a reasonable amount of TV on it then i'd go for a
widescreen. 17" is usable but doesn't have a huge amount of vertical
space - for a desk a 19 or 20" widesceen is nice and will let you work
two docs side by side (or a document and email say). You can move the
windows bar to the side to maximise the amount of vertical workspace.

It also depends on how much you're going to spend - w/s monitors tend
to cost more and i'd go for a really good 4:3 over a 'budget' w/s

Widescreens on laptops are a terrible idea as theres just not enough
vertical height on a 15" screen (above that and they're not really
portable). I think a 12" 4:3 screen for a laptop you regularly carry
and a 15" for one you carry less often.

John Cartmell

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Owain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> André Coutanche wrote:
> >>Remember to get the same *height* you need to buy a bigger diagonal
> >>screen size with widescreen compared to ordinary screen.

> > Indeed. Pythagoras, anyone?

> The squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sum of the squaws on the
> other two sides?

hides

Roderick Stewart

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Agamemnon wrote:
> 16:9 is a horrid ratio to watch TV on because the screen ratio feels
> completely wrong. It's too wide for the golden ratio and its too narrow for
> Panavision so films cropped to fit into it look odd.

As far as I know, nobody makes any programme material, film or electronic,
designed for "golden ratio".

Rod.

Roderick Stewart

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
wrote:
> Why are so many laptops in Currys/Dixons/Comet etc widescreen? The
> dork in Comet told me internet pages are designed for widescreen...
>
> Yes, films fit it better but for everything else it's just the loss of
> height, which you need for web pages and documents.

It allows them to specify the screen size with an impressively big
number, even though the screen is actually slightly smaller in area than
a conventionally shaped one would be on a similarly sized laptop.

One possible advantage on a laptop is that a shorter screen is a little
more mechanically stable so won't flap about so much.

Rod.

Slurp

"Agamemnon" <(E-Mail Removed)_SPAM> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> (LCD's only go up to 1600x1200 which is not big enough.)

???? the Dell 30" does 2560 x 1600

http://tinyurl.com/hozec

Slurp

Hawkins

Pressing F11 on most browser set ups will remove the 2 to 3 toolbars at the
top of the screen and also the main bar at the bottom. A second press will
bring them back again. It is also possible to drag the bars to display
vertically at either side of the screen. I have not tried the effect of F 11
in this configuration.

Richard.

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

Hawkins wrote:
> Pressing F11 on most browser set ups will remove the 2 to 3 toolbars at the
> top of the screen and also the main bar at the bottom. A second press will
> bring them back again. It is also possible to drag the bars to display
> vertically at either side of the screen. I have not tried the effect of F 11
> in this configuration.

Indeed - f11 is the IE shortcut for fullscreen, presumably copied by
Firefox and others for compatibility. Has various different functions
in M$ desktop apps. Now a quick shortcut to hide all toolbars in Word,
and then get them back again, would be useful but F11 isn't it.