Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Standard or Widescreen monitor?

Standard or Widescreen monitor?

Bazzer Smith

"Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> You do get ugly black bars at the top and bottom when you
>>> watch widescreen format movies and TV on a conventional monitor.

>> Well you do sometimes if they are actually transmitted with black
>> bars, but if it is a standard 4:3 or 16:9 the 'Stick' I have puts it
>> in the correct
>> shaped box for you.
>>

>> Actually I am thinking I would be better off ditching the TV
>> altogether, and having a PC with two (or three?) monitors, if thats
>> possible?

> Yes, its certainly possible.

That would be handy, do I need some sort of card?
Would come in handy for playing multi-table poker.
I will probably end up with something like a recording studio!!

> I still have a massive great widescreen TV on both of the main PCs tho.

Bazzer Smith

> Get a 19 inch or larger CRT that can display up to 1920x1440 resolution or
> over. Then you will be able to watch HD movies at 1920x1080 and tile 4
> wordprocessor or internet explorer windows on the screen at the same time
> and have no problems with loss of usable area. (LCD's only go up to
> 1600x1200 which is not big enough.)

Well thats an idea I like the sound of, but the room I will be using it in
aint that big and
a 19 inch CRT is fairly large.

> The problem with widescreen monitors is that they are not wide enough. If
> they'd been in Panavision you'd be able to tile 2 wordprocessor windows
> side by side without loss or usable area, and if they were in Cinemascope
> you'd get 2 wordprocessor windows side by side without loss or usable
> area.

True, but you could equally have the two screens stacked vertically which
would
suit me because I have more vertial free space than horizontal.

>What's more 16:9 is a horrid ratio to watch TV on because the screen ratio
>feels completely wrong. It's too wide for the golden ratio and its too
>narrow for Panavision so films cropped to fit into it look odd. If you are
>using it to play DVD's on then you are going to get black bars at the top
>and bottom of the screen irrespective of the screen ratio since Panavision
>and Cinemascope are shown at full ratio like they should be and its about
>time that they were shown that way on TV too.

Yea its neither one thing nor the other.
Personally I think they should have stuck to making films in 4:3 then we
would
not have this format conflict nonesense.

BuckRabbit

<snip>

> > I feel like turning my monitor through 90 degrees, can you do this with some monitors?

<snip>

Actually yes you can, with nvida software you have the option of rotating the screen in increments of 90 degrees (90, 180, 270) so
you can hoist your monitor on it's side and view the whole page if that's what you desire. Even on a standard CRT monitor you can
see the whole page if you sit it up sideways with the screen rotated.

Hope this was of some assistance
Buck

BuckRabbit

"BuckRabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:e9peiq$utl$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <snip>
> >
> > > I feel like turning my monitor through 90 degrees, can you do this with some monitors?

> <snip>
>
> Actually yes you can, with nvida software you have the option of rotating the screen in increments of 90 degrees (90, 180, 270)

so
> you can hoist your monitor on it's side and view the whole page if that's what you desire. Even on a standard CRT monitor you

can
> see the whole page if you sit it up sideways with the screen rotated.
>
> Hope this was of some assistance
> Buck

And I'm not just talking out of a hole in my ass here, I know because I've done it on this very system.

Rod Speed

Bazzer Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> It is when reading text you have to scroll horizontal ever line,
>>> vertically it is only every 20 lines or so.

>> OK, but the better browsers fix that horiz scrolling problem.

> Such as which browsers?
> Do they do the scrolling for you by mindreading or reformat the screen?

If you tell them to make it fit horizontally, they do that
using the font size, just like Acrobat Reader does.

Rod Speed

Bazzer Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Well you do sometimes if they are actually transmitted with black
>>> bars, but if it is a standard 4:3 or 16:9 the 'Stick' I have puts it
>>> in the correct
>>> shaped box for you.
>>>

>>> Actually I am thinking I would be better off ditching the TV
>>> altogether, and having a PC with two (or three?) monitors, if thats
>>> possible?

>> Yes, its certainly possible.

> That would be handy, do I need some sort of card?

Yeah, I do it with dual head cards.

> Would come in handy for playing multi-table poker.
> I will probably end up with something like a recording studio!!

Yeah, I do, I have a separate monitor on each PC and use
synergy to switch the mouse and keyboard auto between
them just by mousing off one screen onto the others.

>> I still have a massive great widescreen TV on both of the main PCs tho.

charles

In article <LIUvg.11866$u%(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bazzer Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I will be buying a new monitor but which type should I buy?

[Snip]

> I feel like turning my monitor through 90 degrees, can you do this with
> some monitors?

Yes, my 20" Dell does this.

--
From KT24 - in drought-ridden Surrey

Using a RISC OS5 computer

Dave Farrance

"Bazzer Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I kind of see a big problem with them because obviously they are too sort in
>height.
>For example, many PDF documents are A4 page size, this is a problem in say
>Adobe Acrobat because even on a standard monitor you can only see about half
>the page, it will be much worse on a WS. I feel like turning my monitor
>through
>90 degrees, can you do this with some monitors?

That's a function of some video cards, but not natively in any monitor I
think. It seems to me that a 16:9 monitor on it's side would be too
narrow, but a 4:3 on its side should be OK.

When I bought a laptop not so long ago, I selected one of the dwindling
number with 4:3 screens - because of common document formats and because
it's better for coding and word-processing. Unless you are going to be
using it *mostly* for video, then I'd suggest that you do go for 4:3.

--
Dave Farrance

housetrained

Do yourself a favour. Buy a 19" flat LCD 4.3. You will wonder how you
managed with that old 17" for so long!

--
John the West Ham fan
(E-Mail Removed)
news:LIUvg.11866$u%(E-Mail Removed)...

seaside01@btinternet.com

Dave Farrance wrote:
> "Bazzer Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I kind of see a big problem with them because obviously they are too sort in
> >height.
> >For example, many PDF documents are A4 page size, this is a problem in say
> >Adobe Acrobat because even on a standard monitor you can only see about half
> >the page, it will be much worse on a WS. I feel like turning my monitor
> >through
> >90 degrees, can you do this with some monitors?

> That's a function of some video cards, but not natively in any monitor I
> think. It seems to me that a 16:9 monitor on it's side would be too
> narrow, but a 4:3 on its side should be OK.
>
> When I bought a laptop not so long ago, I selected one of the dwindling
> number with 4:3 screens - because of common document formats and because
> it's better for coding and word-processing. Unless you are going to be
> using it *mostly* for video, then I'd suggest that you do go for 4:3.
>
> --
> Dave Farrance

Why are so many laptops in Currys/Dixons/Comet etc widescreen? The
dork in Comet told me internet pages are designed for widescreen...

Yes, films fit it better but for everything else it's just the loss of
height, which you need for web pages and documents.