Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > 2 hard drives, same computer

2 hard drives, same computer

Hurricane1000

Just curious if you can put 2 hard drives on the same computer....1 for
each user name.

Bob

Hurricane1000 wrote:
> Just curious if you can put 2 hard drives on the same computer....1 for
> each user name.

Yes, but they must be configured as master and slave with jumpers on
the back. Each will have a different drive designator. Then you can
boot up on the drive of your choice.

JTJersey

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:35:46 -0700, Hurricane1000 wrote:

> Just curious if you can put 2 hard drives on the same computer....1 for
> each user name.

You mean so that two different users can boot to one of two different hard
drives? If so, you'd have to have a switch installed to select which hard
drive you would want to boot to. Each drive could have it's own operating
system and personalizations, but would be entirely separate from each
other. If one got a virus the other wouldn't, one could use Windows the
other Linux, etc. If you've got two people using the same computer who
want things their own way, that would be a good way to go, instead of
mulitiple desktops which can have administrator rights issues and such.

--
Registered Linux User #267152

StinkyPlant

Bob wrote:
> Hurricane1000 wrote:
>> Just curious if you can put 2 hard drives on the same computer....1 for
>> each user name.

> Yes, but they must be configured as master and slave with jumpers on
> the back. Each will have a different drive designator. Then you can
> boot up on the drive of your choice.

Well he is half correct. You can't have a hd for each user name. You can
have to hd's then lock them per user, but to have to separate hd's for 2
different users, it would be more piratical to dual boot to copies of
xp. Then its just a waste.