Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Error transfering files on network

Error transfering files on network

John

Hi. Yesterday I was trying to transfer some photos in different My
Photo folders for different users on one PC to another PC.

I managed to do two folders sucessfully, but then when I tried on some
other folders I got the error message that says "Cannot copy IMG_022:
access is denied. Make sure the disc is not full, write protected and
that the file is not currently in use".

I also had a similar message when I went to that computer to try and
copy the photos within that folder in the other direction "Cannot
create or replace 2005_02_15: Access is denied. Make sure the disc is
not full, write protected and that the file is not currently in use".

Does anyone know what the problem might be for this? I can't
understand how it allowed me to do it for two of the five folders
containing lots of photos, but for other folders I am getting this
error message. All the folders seem to be set up exactly the same
way.

What do you think could be the problem and what can I do to fix it?

Cheers

John

bmoag

Individual folders can have different sharing parameters.
However this type of behavior is also seen when there is a defect in a file
(either software or something failing on the hard drive), when a firewall
program is not functioning properly and simply because the Gods of Windows
deem it to be so. If it is the last case then rebooting or logging off/on
the affected computer should fix the problem.

sandy58

John wrote:
> Hi. Yesterday I was trying to transfer some photos in different My
> Photo folders for different users on one PC to another PC.
>
> I managed to do two folders sucessfully, but then when I tried on some
> other folders I got the error message that says "Cannot copy IMG_022:
> access is denied. Make sure the disc is not full, write protected and
> that the file is not currently in use".
>
> I also had a similar message when I went to that computer to try and
> copy the photos within that folder in the other direction "Cannot
> create or replace 2005_02_15: Access is denied. Make sure the disc is
> not full, write protected and that the file is not currently in use".
>
> Does anyone know what the problem might be for this? I can't
> understand how it allowed me to do it for two of the five folders
> containing lots of photos, but for other folders I am getting this
> error message. All the folders seem to be set up exactly the same
> way.
>
> What do you think could be the problem and what can I do to fix it?
>
> Cheers
>
> John

"Make sure the disc is not full, write protected and"
> that the file is not currently in use<

This can happen if you are running a P2P ie:Bearshare & someone is
"uploading" from your share folder. Just a thought as it happened to me
recently.

John

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:38:15 GMT, "bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Individual folders can have different sharing parameters.

The only option the folders seem to have on the two computers I am
trying to transfer between are either to share the folder or not to
share it. One computer is running XP Pro SP2. The other is running XP
Home SP2.

>However this type of behavior is also seen when there is a defect in a file
>(either software or something failing on the hard drive),

>when a firewall
>program is not functioning properly

I have zonealarm on both systems and it is functioning properly. Even
if I disable it completely on both systems I still cant to the
transfer and get the error message so I am guessing that the firewall
is not the problem. Also I managed to transfer 3 folders of
photographs from one of the 4 users on the XP Home system with the
firewall on. It is just giving me the error message when I try and
copy the files from the photo folders for the other 3 users.

>and simply because the Gods of Windows
>deem it to be so.

>If it is the last case then rebooting or logging off/on
>the affected computer should fix the problem.

I've tried rebooting but nothing.

Could this be a defect in a file then? How would I go about finding
out what the problem is?

Cheers

John

John

>"Make sure the disc is not full, write protected and"
>> that the file is not currently in use<

>This can happen if you are running a P2P ie:Bearshare & someone is
>"uploading" from your share folder. Just a thought as it happened to me
>recently.

It is just me using the two systems trying to do this and no other
things are being done at the same time like this.

John