Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Windows 3.1

Windows 3.1

=?iso-8859-1?B?pqamU0hBRDBXpqam?=

Anyone else here still use that OS? I think it's really good because it gets the job done w/o any bells and whistles. I would still use 3.0 but it was troublesome with the network.

Duane Arnold

¦¦¦SHAD0W¦¦¦ wrote:
> Anyone else here still use that OS? I think it's really good because it
> gets the job done w/o any bells and whistles. I would still use 3.0 but
> it was troublesome with the network.

It's outdated technology that has seen its time and it's gone.

Duane

Robert Baer

Duane Arnold wrote:
> ¦¦¦SHAD0W¦¦¦ wrote:
>
>> Anyone else here still use that OS? I think it's really good because
>> it gets the job done w/o any bells and whistles. I would still use
>> 3.0 but it was troublesome with the network.

> It's outdated technology that has seen its time and it's gone.
>
> Duane

It has its uses: 1) it is extremely fast in loading - the newer the
WinOS the slower and more piggie; 2) the graphics apps i have work the
same and are compatible; 3) a compiler i have is actually mode flexible
in Win3.x than any other OS as i can compile code that will work the
same in DOS or any WinOS (16 or 32 bit).
And i have a lot of DOS utilities that in some cases do things that
are impossible to do in other Win environments.

Duane Arnold

Robert Baer wrote:
> Duane Arnold wrote:
>
>> ¦¦¦SHAD0W¦¦¦ wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone else here still use that OS? I think it's really good because
>>> it gets the job done w/o any bells and whistles. I would still use
>>> 3.0 but it was troublesome with the network.

>> It's outdated technology that has seen its time and it's gone.
>>
>> Duane

> It has its uses: 1) it is extremely fast in loading - the newer the
> WinOS the slower and more piggie; 2) the graphics apps i have work the
> same and are compatible; 3) a compiler i have is actually mode flexible
> in Win3.x than any other OS as i can compile code that will work the
> same in DOS or any WinOS (16 or 32 bit).
> And i have a lot of DOS utilities that in some cases do things that
> are impossible to do in other Win environments.

For the average job blow user, it's dead or in a vast majority of
corporate solutions, it's dead. I have not seen Win 3.x, well, it was
before 1999 I know that much.

Duane

Bolshoy Huy

Robert Baer wrote:
> And i have a lot of DOS utilities that in some cases do things that
> are impossible to do in other Win environments.

for a long time i was renaming multiple files in DOS.
ex: xyz.jpg to xyz.jpg.bak
if u have many files to rename, it's a pain using windows.
then, I found a few utilities that do that in windows.
rename, add extensions, etc. anything done in DOS could be done in
windows.

Duane Arnold

Bolshoy Huy wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
>
>> And i have a lot of DOS utilities that in some cases do things that
>>are impossible to do in other Win environments.

> for a long time i was renaming multiple files in DOS.
> ex: xyz.jpg to xyz.jpg.bak
> if u have many files to rename, it's a pain using windows.
> then, I found a few utilities that do that in windows.
> rename, add extensions, etc. anything done in DOS could be done in
> windows.

I am curious. Did you find a job?

Duane

Bolshoy Huy

Duane Arnold wrote:

> I am curious. Did you find a job?
>
> Duane

I am curious as to whom you are asking, me?

Duane Arnold

Bolshoy Huy wrote:
> Duane Arnold wrote:
>
>>I am curious. Did you find a job?
>>
>>Duane

> I am curious as to whom you are asking, me?

All day long

Duane