Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Which DVD Media to use and how to burn Data?

Which DVD Media to use and how to burn Data?

John

Hi. I have a lot of files of my computer that I want to save onto DVD.
They are video files that I have converted to MP4 format to save on
space using Nero Recode. I don't want to burn them as a movie though
that can be played back on a DVD Player. I just want to burn the files
as Data that can be played back on computer. It is also a lot quicker
to burn this way. If I was to burn it as a Video DVD it would take
several hours for Nero to encode and author it, whereas if I burn as
data it only takes a short time, and then I can hopefully open within
my computer.

I just wondered what types of DVD media you would consider to be best
for this? There are quite a lot of different types available now:

DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL etc from many
different companies and with different burn speeds available as well.

Would I always be best buying record once media? I have used Verbatims
DVD-RW and -RW DL media in the past for trying to burn both data discs
and also to author DVD video to using Nero and other applications.

When you want to author your own video DVD it often takes a long time
to do so using Nero and it often failed to burn properly. Perhaps it
is better to use record once DVD discs for this?

It is the same with data, I have probably burned about 3 or 4 discs in
the past of MP4 video files onto DVD-RWs as data, and on one or two of
the discs it has completely successfully but the resulting disc can
not be read in my computer DVD drive.

If I want to save a lot of my files, video files and other files from
my computer to a blank DVD to save space on my hard drive, what type
and brand of discs would you recommend I use? And what options should
I select to burn this sucessfully as a Data/Storage DVD that can be
easily read back on my computer?

I have had great trouble in the past burning DVDs using a variety of
programs.

Thanks

John

Tonester

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi. I have a lot of files of my computer that I want to save onto DVD.
> They are video files that I have converted to MP4 format to save on
> space using Nero Recode. I don't want to burn them as a movie though
> that can be played back on a DVD Player. I just want to burn the files
> as Data that can be played back on computer. It is also a lot quicker
> to burn this way. If I was to burn it as a Video DVD it would take
> several hours for Nero to encode and author it, whereas if I burn as
> data it only takes a short time, and then I can hopefully open within
> my computer.
>
> I just wondered what types of DVD media you would consider to be best
> for this? There are quite a lot of different types available now:

Ritek or TY DVD-R media.

Use Nero, choose 'burn data DVD', drag & drop your files.

Cathy

I haven't tried this, but it is free:

http://www.backup.comodo.com/

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi. I have a lot of files of my computer that I want to save onto DVD.
> They are video files that I have converted to MP4 format to save on
> space using Nero Recode. I don't want to burn them as a movie though
> that can be played back on a DVD Player. I just want to burn the files
> as Data that can be played back on computer. It is also a lot quicker
> to burn this way. If I was to burn it as a Video DVD it would take
> several hours for Nero to encode and author it, whereas if I burn as
> data it only takes a short time, and then I can hopefully open within
> my computer.
>
> I just wondered what types of DVD media you would consider to be best
> for this? There are quite a lot of different types available now:
>
> DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL etc from many
> different companies and with different burn speeds available as well.
>
> Would I always be best buying record once media? I have used Verbatims
> DVD-RW and -RW DL media in the past for trying to burn both data discs
> and also to author DVD video to using Nero and other applications.
>
> When you want to author your own video DVD it often takes a long time
> to do so using Nero and it often failed to burn properly. Perhaps it
> is better to use record once DVD discs for this?
>
> It is the same with data, I have probably burned about 3 or 4 discs in
> the past of MP4 video files onto DVD-RWs as data, and on one or two of
> the discs it has completely successfully but the resulting disc can
> not be read in my computer DVD drive.
>
> If I want to save a lot of my files, video files and other files from
> my computer to a blank DVD to save space on my hard drive, what type
> and brand of discs would you recommend I use? And what options should
> I select to burn this sucessfully as a Data/Storage DVD that can be
> easily read back on my computer?
>
> I have had great trouble in the past burning DVDs using a variety of
> programs.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:04:48 +0100, John <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>Hi. I have a lot of files of my computer that I want to save onto DVD.
>They are video files that I have converted to MP4 format to save on
>space using Nero Recode. I don't want to burn them as a movie though
>that can be played back on a DVD Player. I just want to burn the files
>as Data that can be played back on computer. It is also a lot quicker
>to burn this way. If I was to burn it as a Video DVD it would take
>several hours for Nero to encode and author it, whereas if I burn as
>data it only takes a short time, and then I can hopefully open within
>my computer.
>
>I just wondered what types of DVD media you would consider to be best
>for this? There are quite a lot of different types available now:
>
>DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL etc from many
>different companies and with different burn speeds available as well.
>
>Would I always be best buying record once media? I have used Verbatims
>DVD-RW and -RW DL media in the past for trying to burn both data discs
>and also to author DVD video to using Nero and other applications.
>
>When you want to author your own video DVD it often takes a long time
>to do so using Nero and it often failed to burn properly. Perhaps it
>is better to use record once DVD discs for this?
>
>It is the same with data, I have probably burned about 3 or 4 discs in
>the past of MP4 video files onto DVD-RWs as data, and on one or two of
>the discs it has completely successfully but the resulting disc can
>not be read in my computer DVD drive.
>
>If I want to save a lot of my files, video files and other files from
>my computer to a blank DVD to save space on my hard drive, what type
>and brand of discs would you recommend I use? And what options should
>I select to burn this sucessfully as a Data/Storage DVD that can be
>easily read back on my computer?
>
>I have had great trouble in the past burning DVDs using a variety of
>programs.
>
>Thanks
>
>John

You can get a 300GB hard drive these days for $100.

That's like two 100 packs of CD-R media back when it first came out
(price wise).

Far more reliable.. immediately available storage, and a dump so
huge that even your porn lovin' ass won't fill it up too quickly...

Ken Maltby

"Roy L. Fuchs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:04:48 +0100, John <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:
>
>>Hi. I have a lot of files of my computer that I want to save onto DVD.
>>They are video files that I have converted to MP4 format to save on
>>space using Nero Recode. I don't want to burn them as a movie though
>>that can be played back on a DVD Player. I just want to burn the files
>>as Data that can be played back on computer. It is also a lot quicker
>>to burn this way. If I was to burn it as a Video DVD it would take
>>several hours for Nero to encode and author it, whereas if I burn as
>>data it only takes a short time, and then I can hopefully open within
>>my computer.
>>
>>I just wondered what types of DVD media you would consider to be best
>>for this? There are quite a lot of different types available now:
>>
>>DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL etc from many
>>different companies and with different burn speeds available as well.
>>
>>Would I always be best buying record once media? I have used Verbatims
>>DVD-RW and -RW DL media in the past for trying to burn both data discs
>>and also to author DVD video to using Nero and other applications.
>>
>>When you want to author your own video DVD it often takes a long time
>>to do so using Nero and it often failed to burn properly. Perhaps it
>>is better to use record once DVD discs for this?
>>
>>It is the same with data, I have probably burned about 3 or 4 discs in
>>the past of MP4 video files onto DVD-RWs as data, and on one or two of
>>the discs it has completely successfully but the resulting disc can
>>not be read in my computer DVD drive.
>>
>>If I want to save a lot of my files, video files and other files from
>>my computer to a blank DVD to save space on my hard drive, what type
>>and brand of discs would you recommend I use? And what options should
>>I select to burn this sucessfully as a Data/Storage DVD that can be
>>easily read back on my computer?
>>
>>I have had great trouble in the past burning DVDs using a variety of
>>programs.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>John
>>

> You can get a 300GB hard drive these days for $100.
>
> That's like two 100 packs of CD-R media back when it first came out
> (price wise).
>
> Far more reliable.. immediately available storage, and a dump so
> huge that even your porn lovin' ass won't fill it up too quickly...

While I am not in favor of Mr. Fuchs style, or lack there of,
he's got a point.

You can put a lot of .mp4 on a large cheap hard drive. The
drive need not have a high rotation speed, to provide video
for display. The playback of large sequential media files is
not demanding at all.

You can get USB2 hard drive cases for ~$15. You could
have separate drives for different kinds of material and add
to them as that kind of material becomes available. Then
you could have: a "Mysteries Drive", a "Comedies Drive",
a "SciFi Drive", or whatever; and plug in whichever one
you feel like watching. You would have hundreds of shows
to select from instead of the few on a DVD. Also, you can
sort and transfer the files, at hard drive speeds, into any
arrangement you wish. You can start with one drive and
sort its contents into other drives at a later date.

At this time you might want to consider External SATA,
as there are more drives available in SATA and you can
get drive cases that will do USB2 as well. The SATA
interface can be plug&play also.

Luck;
Ken

Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 18:15:58 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

> [...]

>for display. The playback of large sequential media files is
>not demanding at all.
>
> You can get USB2 hard drive cases for ~$15. You could
>have separate drives for different kinds of material and add
>to them as that kind of material becomes available. Then
>you could have: a "Mysteries Drive", a "Comedies Drive",
>a "SciFi Drive", or whatever; and plug in whichever one
>you feel like watching. You would have hundreds of shows
>to select from instead of the few on a DVD. Also, you can
>sort and transfer the files, at hard drive speeds, into any
>arrangement you wish. You can start with one drive and
>sort its contents into other drives at a later date.
>
> At this time you might want to consider External SATA,
>as there are more drives available in SATA and you can
>get drive cases that will do USB2 as well. The SATA

It is our future.

Perpendicular media, and laptop form factor 2.5"...

Yep... a whole shelf full of 'em.

Might even see a hi res Movie Player that uses hot swap laptop drives
to distribute, and store movies. I could see the studios going for
that...

Your books, your encyclopedias, etc. etc. Hell, if RFIDs were
included, there would be no more piracy.

Watch out, boys... it's comin'.

John

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:27:45 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You can get a 300GB hard drive these days for $100.
>
> That's like two 100 packs of CD-R media back when it first came out
>(price wise).
>
> Far more reliable.. immediately available storage, and a dump so
>huge that even your porn lovin' ass won't fill it up too quickly...

The HD drive is a good idea but I tend to think that hard drives are
more prone to failure.

If I was to buy one hard drive to store all my multimedia files on
(most of which are news, sports and documentaries particularly
wildlife, so not much porn except for Monkeys or Tigers mating!) I
would also have to buy a second HD that the first would be backed up
to.

With DVD-R discs, I already have a DVD-R/RW drive to make use of, and
the media does seem to be pretty cheap. 6 or 7 for a pack of 25 TY
16x discs, or perhaps just 4 or 5 for 25 Ritek 16x ones.

So what is that? I can't remember how many GB of a DVD disc is usable?
Say about 4.3GB? 4.3GB x 25 = 107.5GB for only 4 to 7. That's not
too bad IMHO and very cheap.

If you got a spindle of 50 discs you would save even more. 13-50 for
TY 16x DVD-Rs. 7.50 to 9 for 50 Ritek 16x Discs or 9.50 for 50
Ricoh FujiFilm 16x discs which seem to be quite reliable as well and
get good reviews.

If I was to get another SATA Hard Drive to put in my system, I'm not
sure that my system can accept another one? I am pretty sure there is
only one slot for one SATA drive which is what is in it now along with
two ATA drives. I believe that the SATA Controller cards are quite
expensive as well.

I think the next time I buy a new Hard Drive will be for my next
system which will probably be sometime in late 2007 or early 2008.

John

Ken Maltby

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:27:45 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> You can get a 300GB hard drive these days for $100.
>>
>> That's like two 100 packs of CD-R media back when it first came out
>>(price wise).
>>
>> Far more reliable.. immediately available storage, and a dump so
>>huge that even your porn lovin' ass won't fill it up too quickly...

> The HD drive is a good idea but I tend to think that hard drives are
> more prone to failure.

Not really, when off line the hard drive is much easier to
store, in a manner that keeps the data unaffected and totally
retrievable. Where as DVDs can be easily scratched, even
if they don't succumb to "Dye Rot". If you were able to
make "pressed DVDs" you might have a point, but there is
no data that burned dye DVDs last as long as magnetic tape
much less magnetic disks.

For repeated random use, the one hard drive beats 70 DVDs
any day.

>If I was to buy one hard drive to store all my multimedia files on
> (most of which are news, sports and documentaries particularly
> wildlife, so not much porn except for Monkeys or Tigers mating!) I
> would also have to buy a second HD that the first would be backed up
> to.

Not so bad an idea if you really want to insure their long term
survival. (Some call that approach a RAID array) One thing
you will find is that it takes a lot less time to backup to another
hard drive than to DVDs. (Even if you don't count the time
needed to change out those 70 disks.)

> With DVD-R discs, I already have a DVD-R/RW drive to make use of, and
> the media does seem to be pretty cheap. 6 or 7 for a pack of 25 TY
> 16x discs, or perhaps just 4 or 5 for 25 Ritek 16x ones.
>
> So what is that? I can't remember how many GB of a DVD disc is usable?
> Say about 4.3GB? 4.3GB x 25 = 107.5GB for only 4 to 7. That's not
> too bad IMHO and very cheap.
>
> If you got a spindle of 50 discs you would save even more. 13-50 for
> TY 16x DVD-Rs. 7.50 to 9 for 50 Ritek 16x Discs or 9.50 for 50
> Ricoh FujiFilm 16x discs which seem to be quite reliable as well and
> get good reviews.
>
> If I was to get another SATA Hard Drive to put in my system, I'm not
> sure that my system can accept another one? I am pretty sure there is
> only one slot for one SATA drive which is what is in it now along with
> two ATA drives. I believe that the SATA Controller cards are quite
> expensive as well.

As far as I know there are no SATA controllers that only do one
drive. (Wait I think there was one VIA chip.) What motherboard
do you have? SATA Controller cards start around $20.

> I think the next time I buy a new Hard Drive will be for my next
> system which will probably be sometime in late 2007 or early 2008.
>
> John

Bill's News

Ken Maltby wrote:
> [...]

>> well and
>> get good reviews.
>>
>> If I was to get another SATA Hard Drive to put in my system,
>> I'm not
>> sure that my system can accept another one? I am pretty sure
>> there is
>> only one slot for one SATA drive which is what is in it now
>> along
>> with two ATA drives. I believe that the SATA Controller cards
>> are
>> quite expensive as well.
>>

> As far as I know there are no SATA controllers that only do
> one
> drive. (Wait I think there was one VIA chip.) What motherboard
> do you have? SATA Controller cards start around $20.
>

>> I think the next time I buy a new Hard Drive will be for my
>> next
>> system which will probably be sometime in late 2007 or early

I agree, in principal, with Ken. I have about 4 tB of MPEG2 &
MPEG4ish video on DVD, @ about 4:3 :: RW:R. This would fit on
eight 500 gB drives and the roughly 7 cubic feet of DVDs would
become about 1 cubic foot of HDD.

500 gB drives pre-packaged in external (USB or firewire)
housings are about $250; sans housing somewhat less.. The
number of DVD discs involved is over 800, so the hard drive
alternative is roughly twice the replacement cost of the DVDs +
their mini jewel cases.

Of course it's a lot easier to make the HDD choice today than it
was 6 years ago when not only prices of both media were quite
different, but hard drive capacities were not comparable. In
this regard, I envy your newness to the fray;-0)

However, from the point of view of damage, losing one or a
couple of 4.3 gig DVDs is trivial when compared with an
unrecoverable HDD. Of course many HDD problems are
recoverable, given the tools - but since 2000 I've only tossed
one DVD that became unreadable. Some others which became
unplayable were still copy-able. Having made one bad choice of
external HDD (a now discarded Maxtor 200 USB) I can attest to
the value of being current with backups.

Other advantages, for those who capture TV to PC, is to edit
from the capture machine directly to an external. The MPEG2 is
then "ready to play" and ready to move. If reprocessing to
MPEG4 is desired, then the external drive can be easily moved to
another system - as the capture/playback machine is relatively
low power. The output of the recompression is directed to an
archival external drive - from which it can be backed up to
whatever media you deem appropriate.

Whether you choose HDD or DVD as your storage medium you will
need an index to what's stored - this stuff grows by leaps and
bounds ;-0) I chose to keep mine as an alphabetic HTML page
with links to either IMDB or a few of the TV episode catalogues.
Since I use a PC as the video player now, I can call up this
page on the main viewing screen to make selections from the
numbered DVD discs. The links to descriptive materials are
handy refreshers.

Finally: your friends and neighbors most likely can not borrow
one of your HDDs to play at home, so you're keeping within the
letter of the law;-0)

John

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 00:48:01 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:27:45 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> You can get a 300GB hard drive these days for $100.
>>>
>>> That's like two 100 packs of CD-R media back when it first came out
>>>(price wise).
>>>
>>> Far more reliable.. immediately available storage, and a dump so
>>>huge that even your porn lovin' ass won't fill it up too quickly...

>> The HD drive is a good idea but I tend to think that hard drives are
>> more prone to failure.
>>

> Not really, when off line the hard drive is much easier to
>store, in a manner that keeps the data unaffected and totally
>retrievable. Where as DVDs can be easily scratched, even
>if they don't succumb to "Dye Rot". If you were able to
>make "pressed DVDs" you might have a point, but there is
>no data that burned dye DVDs last as long as magnetic tape
>much less magnetic disks.
>
> For repeated random use, the one hard drive beats 70 DVDs
>any day.
>

>>If I was to buy one hard drive to store all my multimedia files on
>> (most of which are news, sports and documentaries particularly
>> wildlife, so not much porn except for Monkeys or Tigers mating!) I
>> would also have to buy a second HD that the first would be backed up
>> to.
>>

> Not so bad an idea if you really want to insure their long term
>survival. (Some call that approach a RAID array) One thing
>you will find is that it takes a lot less time to backup to another
>hard drive than to DVDs. (Even if you don't count the time
>needed to change out those 70 disks.)
>

>> With DVD-R discs, I already have a DVD-R/RW drive to make use of, and
>> the media does seem to be pretty cheap. 6 or 7 for a pack of 25 TY
>> 16x discs, or perhaps just 4 or 5 for 25 Ritek 16x ones.
>>
>> So what is that? I can't remember how many GB of a DVD disc is usable?
>> Say about 4.3GB? 4.3GB x 25 = 107.5GB for only 4 to 7. That's not
>> too bad IMHO and very cheap.
>>
>> If you got a spindle of 50 discs you would save even more. 13-50 for
>> TY 16x DVD-Rs. 7.50 to 9 for 50 Ritek 16x Discs or 9.50 for 50
>> Ricoh FujiFilm 16x discs which seem to be quite reliable as well and
>> get good reviews.
>>
>> If I was to get another SATA Hard Drive to put in my system, I'm not
>> sure that my system can accept another one? I am pretty sure there is
>> only one slot for one SATA drive which is what is in it now along with
>> two ATA drives. I believe that the SATA Controller cards are quite
>> expensive as well.
>>

> As far as I know there are no SATA controllers that only do one
>drive. (Wait I think there was one VIA chip.) What motherboard
>do you have? SATA Controller cards start around $20.

Abit NF7-S

I'm pretty sure it only has one SATA slot. I can't remember there
being two slots.

John