Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Unable to compact/repair database

Unable to compact/repair database

John

Hi. Sometimes when I go into an access database that I wish to shrink
in size to reduce old records, I go to the Tools menu and select
Database Utilities and Compact & Repair Database. I often get an error
message though saying that I am already in it? What gives?

The message in more detail says:

"You attempted to open a database that is already opened exclusively
by user 'admin' on machine 'Nameofmachine'. Try again when the
database is available".

I don't understand what I have done wrong or why it often comes up
with this message. Microsoft Access seems to be very temperamental
when it comes to compacting this database I use.

When I tried to compact this I had made sure that no other users where
in it, either I had asked them to exit it until I had compacted it, or
I had done it first thing in the morning or last thing before I went
home but after everyone else had gone. So I am not sure why it still
gives this error message?

Can anyone shed any light on this and tell me what the issue might be
and how I can get it compacted without any problems? It seems to only
work once in a while and I have not been able to understand why.

Cheers

John

Joseph Meehan

John wrote:
> Hi. Sometimes when I go into an access database that I wish to shrink
> in size to reduce old records, I go to the Tools menu and select
> Database Utilities and Compact & Repair Database. I often get an error
> message though saying that I am already in it? What gives?
>
> The message in more detail says:
>
> "You attempted to open a database that is already opened exclusively
> by user 'admin' on machine 'Nameofmachine'. Try again when the
> database is available".
>
> I don't understand what I have done wrong or why it often comes up
> with this message. Microsoft Access seems to be very temperamental
> when it comes to compacting this database I use.
>
> When I tried to compact this I had made sure that no other users where
> in it, either I had asked them to exit it until I had compacted it, or
> I had done it first thing in the morning or last thing before I went
> home but after everyone else had gone. So I am not sure why it still
> gives this error message?
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this and tell me what the issue might be
> and how I can get it compacted without any problems? It seems to only
> work once in a while and I have not been able to understand why.
>
> Cheers
>
> John

Is it a "shared" database? Someone else may have it open. Another
possibility is it did not close down properly last time it was used, maybe
turned off the computer while it was still open. In those cases you should
see a YOURFILENAME.LDB file still there. Exiting the database then deleting
that file should clear it up. If it is shared then you need to get them to
exit.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Duane Arnold

John wrote:
> Hi. Sometimes when I go into an access database that I wish to shrink
> in size to reduce old records, I go to the Tools menu and select
> Database Utilities and Compact & Repair Database. I often get an error
> message though saying that I am already in it? What gives?
>
> The message in more detail says:
>
> "You attempted to open a database that is already opened exclusively
> by user 'admin' on machine 'Nameofmachine'. Try again when the
> database is available".
>
> I don't understand what I have done wrong or why it often comes up
> with this message. Microsoft Access seems to be very temperamental
> when it comes to compacting this database I use.
>
> When I tried to compact this I had made sure that no other users where
> in it, either I had asked them to exit it until I had compacted it, or
> I had done it first thing in the morning or last thing before I went
> home but after everyone else had gone. So I am not sure why it still
> gives this error message?
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this and tell me what the issue might be
> and how I can get it compacted without any problems? It seems to only
> work once in a while and I have not been able to understand why.

Here is my opinion on the whole thing. No application that is a multi
user application should be using Access as a database. The application
should be using MS SQL Server as the database, which is designed for
multi user usage. Access is not designed for multi user usage, although
people try to do it.

Duane

John

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 22:33:15 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John wrote:
>> Hi. Sometimes when I go into an access database that I wish to shrink
>> in size to reduce old records, I go to the Tools menu and select
>> Database Utilities and Compact & Repair Database. I often get an error
>> message though saying that I am already in it? What gives?
>>
>> The message in more detail says:
>>
>> "You attempted to open a database that is already opened exclusively
>> by user 'admin' on machine 'Nameofmachine'. Try again when the
>> database is available".
>>
>> I don't understand what I have done wrong or why it often comes up
>> with this message. Microsoft Access seems to be very temperamental
>> when it comes to compacting this database I use.
>>
>> When I tried to compact this I had made sure that no other users where
>> in it, either I had asked them to exit it until I had compacted it, or
>> I had done it first thing in the morning or last thing before I went
>> home but after everyone else had gone. So I am not sure why it still
>> gives this error message?
>>
>> Can anyone shed any light on this and tell me what the issue might be
>> and how I can get it compacted without any problems? It seems to only
>> work once in a while and I have not been able to understand why.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> John

> Is it a "shared" database? Someone else may have it open. Another
>possibility is it did not close down properly last time it was used, maybe
>turned off the computer while it was still open. In those cases you should
>see a YOURFILENAME.LDB file still there. Exiting the database then deleting
>that file should clear it up. If it is shared then you need to get them to
>exit.

Thanks. Yes it is a shared database.

John

John

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 07:29:39 GMT, Duane Arnold <"Do forget about
it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote:

>John wrote:
>> Hi. Sometimes when I go into an access database that I wish to shrink
>> in size to reduce old records, I go to the Tools menu and select
>> Database Utilities and Compact & Repair Database. I often get an error
>> message though saying that I am already in it? What gives?
>>
>> The message in more detail says:
>>
>> "You attempted to open a database that is already opened exclusively
>> by user 'admin' on machine 'Nameofmachine'. Try again when the
>> database is available".
>>
>> I don't understand what I have done wrong or why it often comes up
>> with this message. Microsoft Access seems to be very temperamental
>> when it comes to compacting this database I use.
>>
>> When I tried to compact this I had made sure that no other users where
>> in it, either I had asked them to exit it until I had compacted it, or
>> I had done it first thing in the morning or last thing before I went
>> home but after everyone else had gone. So I am not sure why it still
>> gives this error message?
>>
>> Can anyone shed any light on this and tell me what the issue might be
>> and how I can get it compacted without any problems? It seems to only
>> work once in a while and I have not been able to understand why.
>>

>Here is my opinion on the whole thing. No application that is a multi
>user application should be using Access as a database. The application
>should be using MS SQL Server as the database, which is designed for
>multi user usage. Access is not designed for multi user usage, although
>people try to do it.

I definitely agree with you on that! Unfortunately the company I work
for despite being extremely large and having lots of money, doesn't
seem to be too bothered about making something more usable. I don't
think it is very high on their list of priorities. As long as what we
have gets the job done, no matter how long it takes they're not
interested in improving it.

John

Tony Toews

Duane Arnold <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote:

>Here is my opinion on the whole thing. No application that is a multi
>user application should be using Access as a database. The application
>should be using MS SQL Server as the database, which is designed for
>multi user usage. Access is not designed for multi user usage, although
>people try to do it.

Ah, I guess we won't tell my clients that. One of whom has 25 users
in all day long. Some in A97 on NT 4.0. Others in A2000 on Terminal
Server/Citrix. Yup, it doesn't work for them at all.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

SmartbizAustralia

Why do some people make silly comments about sql in an access group?

Anyway what version of MsAccess are you using?
What service pack have you applied?

Have you tried to rename the file first to ensure no-one else is linked
to it etc?

There is alot of free code out there as well to check who is logged in,
but with the compact command it seems best to open up MsAccess and then
goto the tools menu and run the compact and then point to the database.
Sometimes I get the locking issue you have otherwise.

Tom Bizannes
Microsoft Certified Professional
(SQL Server 2000 Admininistration and Design)

Arvin Meyer [MVP]

"Duane Arnold" <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET> wrote in message
newsf2sg.5333$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...

> Here is my opinion on the whole thing. No application that is a multi user
> application should be using Access as a database. The application should
> be using MS SQL Server as the database, which is designed for multi user
> usage. Access is not designed for multi user usage, although people try to
> do it.

Well Duane, there's no nice way to put this. You're wrong! A well designed
Access/JET database will do almost anything, at at least 1/3 the cost of
SQL-Server, that a company needs to do as long as the scale is within
Access's specifications.

I've been writing databases since 1981, Access databases since 1992, and as
a professional developer for more than 10 years, and have yet to find a
system as versatile as Access.

The applications I currently support have 53 users on 15 front-end databases
and 1 asp front-end all against a single 100 MB JET back-end. It is quick,
despite users having as many as 3 front-ends open, and probably as many as
65 concurrent connections. At any given time, there can be 8 asp users, 5
users on Terminal Server, and 40 users on the LAN. We haven't had a
corruption since April of 2003 when a bad WiFi card repeadedly dropped
connections. Not only that, a truncated copy of the database has been
running on a web server getting an average of 5,000 hits a day (maybe 3,500
pageviews) with only a single problem since 2001. The same web server runs a
SQL-Server database which was down for a day when the Sasser worm hit. In
all the years I've been running Access, I've lost under 2 dozen records from
corruption, and most of that corruption was due to user error (turning off a
machine during a write).

SQL-Server is a fine database engine too. I use it when I need better
security (hospital records, etc.), when I have a lot of users, (75 or more),
when I have large databases (over 500 MB), or when a client with money to
burn insists on it.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
Microsoft Access

Arvin Meyer [MVP]

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I definitely agree with you on that! Unfortunately the company I work
> for despite being extremely large and having lots of money, doesn't
> seem to be too bothered about making something more usable. I don't
> think it is very high on their list of priorities. As long as what we
> have gets the job done, no matter how long it takes they're not
> interested in improving it.

1. Usability is a function of a developer's skill, not a database engine.

2. I find Access front-ends 3 times faster to create than equally complex VB
6. front-ends, and at least 5 times faster than VB.NET or ASP front-ends.
The database structure (tables) are roughly the same effort, simple views
and stored procs are slightly faster in Access, complex queries are
significantly faster to write and debug due to the superior graphical
interface. And reporting recordsources are much faster with many which use
custom VBA functions within the SQL statement impossible in anything but
Access.

I work for Fortune 500 companies too, as well as government clients. The
smart ones use the right tool, at the right price, for the job. The dumb
ones make their decisions on the golf course, or by reading computer
magazines.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
Microsoft Access