Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Seagate vs. Maxtor HDD quality

Seagate vs. Maxtor HDD quality

msswasstastic@aol.com

I've read good things about Seagate. 5 year warranty when most drives
are only 1 year.

OfficeMax.com has a Seagate Ultra ATA/100 160gb for $60

CircuitCity.com has a Seagate Ultra ATA/100 300gb for $90 after rebates

What about Maxtor? Seagate bought them, but is the quality the same? I
read that Maxtor does not take heat very well. If true, is my ambient
temp of 33 C / 91.4 F safe?

CompUSA.com has a Maxtor SATA/150 250gb for $60 after rebates

Also, is there a noticeable difference between an Ultra ATA/100 and a
SATA/150?

David Fairbrother

Two of my HDD's were Maxtor. They're both going fine, one still after
four years.
The IRC network i'm operator at uses Seagate in their servers. very
reliable.
And a 5yr warranty has to be good ;p

> I've read good things about Seagate. 5 year warranty when most drives
> are only 1 year.
>
> OfficeMax.com has a Seagate Ultra ATA/100 160gb for $60
>
> CircuitCity.com has a Seagate Ultra ATA/100 300gb for $90 after rebates
>

> What about Maxtor? Seagate bought them, but is the quality the same? I
> read that Maxtor does not take heat very well. If true, is my ambient
> temp of 33 C / 91.4 F safe?
>
> CompUSA.com has a Maxtor SATA/150 250gb for $60 after rebates
>

> Also, is there a noticeable difference between an Ultra ATA/100 and a
> SATA/150?

- Bobb -

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I've read good things about Seagate. 5 year warranty when most drives
>> are only 1 year.
>>
>> OfficeMax.com has a Seagate Ultra ATA/100 160gb for $60
>>
>> CircuitCity.com has a Seagate Ultra ATA/100 300gb for $90 after
>> rebates
>>

>> What about Maxtor? Seagate bought them, but is the quality the same?
>> read that Maxtor does not take heat very well. If true, is my ambient
>> temp of 33 C / 91.4 F safe?
>>
>> CompUSA.com has a Maxtor SATA/150 250gb for $60 after rebates
>>

>> Also, is there a noticeable difference between an Ultra ATA/100 and a
>> SATA/150?

I have a lot of disk drives - you can't hear the Seagate drives spinning
they're so quiet.
I've got a few of those 160gb - had them for ~2 years - no issues.
Given a choice - I'd get Seagate.
The Barracuda line has been out for years in servers ( they used to be
$1700 w/ SCSI interface)

I must admit - right now my system drive is a Maxtor ( 'cuz it was on
sale (like for you) and I wanted a SATA for this PC)
As for the speed issue ...100 parallel vs 150 serial ... I'm still
debating the "folks in the know " on that one.
what is the speed of the motherboard ?

Travis

Warranty isn't important, usually it's more of a money-making scheme

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I've read good things about Seagate. 5 year warranty when most drives
> are only 1 year.
>
> OfficeMax.com has a Seagate Ultra ATA/100 160gb for $60
>
> CircuitCity.com has a Seagate Ultra ATA/100 300gb for $90 after rebates
>

> What about Maxtor? Seagate bought them, but is the quality the same? I
> read that Maxtor does not take heat very well. If true, is my ambient
> temp of 33 C / 91.4 F safe?
>
> CompUSA.com has a Maxtor SATA/150 250gb for $60 after rebates
>

> Also, is there a noticeable difference between an Ultra ATA/100 and a
> SATA/150?

Maxtor HDD Problems tigercat Computer Support 5 01-19-2006 04:01 AM
Seagate to Buy Maxtor XPD NZ Computing 2 12-22-2005 08:36 AM
Maxtor HDD - technical details? Gyorgy Sajo Computer Information 3 04-14-2005 07:16 AM
Help req. Maxtor 1 touch 120GB USB HDD Pepper Computer Support 2 12-18-2003 09:37 PM

Advertisments