Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Hard drive copying & swaping

Hard drive copying & swaping

JJ

I bought a new larger hard drive and have partitioned it into 3 drives, E, F
& G. Using Drive Image XML software I made a disk to disk copy of my
current HD, to the E partition. Both drives are SATA. I swapped the two
cables on the motherboard so I thought the computer would boot off of the E
drive but it can't find a bootable disk. Is there something else I need to
do? XP Pro.

Thanks,

davidhas

ur mum is an xp - pro

bambam

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:29:07 +0000, JJ wrote:

> I bought a new larger hard drive and have partitioned it into 3 drives, E, F
> & G. Using Drive Image XML software I made a disk to disk copy of my
> current HD, to the E partition. Both drives are SATA. I swapped the two
> cables on the motherboard so I thought the computer would boot off of the E
> drive but it can't find a bootable disk. Is there something else I need to
> do? XP Pro.

I have had problems with the Drive to Drive copy part of Drive Image XML.
The backup and restore of partitions seems to work ok though.
Instead why not try HDClone-

http://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html#free

This program is also included on the "Ultimate Boot CD" which is a very
handy tool to have around-

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

- Bobb -

"bambam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) ...
> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:29:07 +0000, JJ wrote:
>
>> I bought a new larger hard drive and have partitioned it into 3
>> drives, E, F
>> & G. Using Drive Image XML software I made a disk to disk copy of my
>> current HD, to the E partition. Both drives are SATA. I swapped the
>> two
>> cables on the motherboard so I thought the computer would boot off of
>> the E
>> drive but it can't find a bootable disk. Is there something else I
>> need to
>> do? XP Pro.

You did a disk a disk to disk copy of E ????
You mean a partition copy ?
Start again - WHAT is your HDD layout ?
Your new disk drive has 3 partitions?
And you HAD only ONE drive with one partition before ? Was it C ?
IS there a mbr on the "new drive" ? What is in boot.ini.?
Do you know what that means ?

What message do you get ? " ntldr not found" etc

We need some info to help.

New store-bought drive ? Mfr ? Usually comes with a CD to migrate your
drive. Or can download from the "new drive" site.
Not pushing this on you, but if you have Norton AV, I just bought at
CompUSA NAV+ Ghost 10 package for $49 with $40 in rebates ($20 upgrade
rebate + $20 rebate). So Ghost cost me $10 - and I'll use it to do just
what you're trying to do.

bambam

"- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> We need some info to help.

You need some help alright. I didn't write the post that you attributed to
me. No good replying to my post, when you are actually trying to reply to
the OP. This is the post that you need to reply to-

--
Always tell the truth. That way, you don't have to remember what you said.

Mark Twain

JJ

I'm the OP on this and here's where I'm at:

I filled my old 40 gig hard drive and bought a new 80g. After research
over conflicts between Norton Ghost & Goback, I finally got Ghost to work
and got the result: "clone successfully created". I've been chasing my tail
ever since. My goal was to use the newer, faster HD as C and the old
40g as a backup. I'm using a Dell Dimension 4700, both drives are
SATA and I'm using XP Pro.

When I disconnect my current C and plug the new 80g, clone drive into the
same
connector on the mobo it tells me drive 1 can't be found and won't boot. If
plug the old drive into the 2nd connector and keep the new drive in the
original, it boots but the system gets unstable.

If I return the original HD, to the original mobo connector, all is fine and
have a 40 gig C drive and 80g drive E, but that's not what I want.

My bios settings when I try the new configuration are as follows:
Drive 0 SATA 0 (80g)
Drive 1 SATA 2 (40g)

It says both drives are controlled by system bios. It can't locate a boot
drive in this configuration.

New drive is a maxtor, didn't come with cd. I'll now go to maxtor and see
if they have something.

"- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "bambam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:29:07 +0000, JJ wrote:
>>
>>> I bought a new larger hard drive and have partitioned it into 3 drives,
>>> E, F
>>> & G. Using Drive Image XML software I made a disk to disk copy of my
>>> current HD, to the E partition. Both drives are SATA. I swapped the
>>> two
>>> cables on the motherboard so I thought the computer would boot off of
>>> the E
>>> drive but it can't find a bootable disk. Is there something else I need
>>> do? XP Pro.

> You did a disk a disk to disk copy of E ????
> You mean a partition copy ?
> Start again - WHAT is your HDD layout ?
> Your new disk drive has 3 partitions?
> And you HAD only ONE drive with one partition before ? Was it C ?
> IS there a mbr on the "new drive" ? What is in boot.ini.?
> Do you know what that means ?
>
> What message do you get ? " ntldr not found" etc
>
> We need some info to help.
>
> New store-bought drive ? Mfr ? Usually comes with a CD to migrate your
> drive. Or can download from the "new drive" site.
> Not pushing this on you, but if you have Norton AV, I just bought at
> CompUSA NAV+ Ghost 10 package for $49 with $40 in rebates ($20 upgrade
> rebate + $20 rebate). So Ghost cost me $10 - and I'll use it to do just
> what you're trying to do.

JJ

A follow-up to my last post. I downloaded the Maxtor software for disk
cloning, but, even though I have Norton Go Back disabled, it still sees it
and won't run. It is part of System Works 2006 and I can't locate a place
to uninstall it, all part of the big package. All I can do is disable it,
which I did in order to get Ghost to operate.
"JJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:y8zpg.59538$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> I'm the OP on this and here's where I'm at:
>
> I filled my old 40 gig hard drive and bought a new 80g. After research
> over conflicts between Norton Ghost & Goback, I finally got Ghost to work
> and got the result: "clone successfully created". I've been chasing my
> tail
> ever since. My goal was to use the newer, faster HD as C and the old
> 40g as a backup. I'm using a Dell Dimension 4700, both drives are
> SATA and I'm using XP Pro.
>
> When I disconnect my current C and plug the new 80g, clone drive into the
> same
> connector on the mobo it tells me drive 1 can't be found and won't boot.
> If I
> plug the old drive into the 2nd connector and keep the new drive in the
> original, it boots but the system gets unstable.
>
> If I return the original HD, to the original mobo connector, all is fine
> and I
> have a 40 gig C drive and 80g drive E, but that's not what I want.
>
> My bios settings when I try the new configuration are as follows:
> Drive 0 SATA 0 (80g)
> Drive 1 SATA 2 (40g)
>
> It says both drives are controlled by system bios. It can't locate a boot
> drive in this configuration.
>
> New drive is a maxtor, didn't come with cd. I'll now go to maxtor and see
> if they have something.
>

> "- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>> "bambam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed) ...

>> You did a disk a disk to disk copy of E ????
>> You mean a partition copy ?
>> Start again - WHAT is your HDD layout ?
>> Your new disk drive has 3 partitions?
>> And you HAD only ONE drive with one partition before ? Was it C ?
>> IS there a mbr on the "new drive" ? What is in boot.ini.?
>> Do you know what that means ?
>>
>> What message do you get ? " ntldr not found" etc
>>
>> We need some info to help.
>>
>> New store-bought drive ? Mfr ? Usually comes with a CD to migrate your
>> drive. Or can download from the "new drive" site.
>> Not pushing this on you, but if you have Norton AV, I just bought at
>> CompUSA NAV+ Ghost 10 package for $49 with $40 in rebates ($20 upgrade
>> rebate + $20 rebate). So Ghost cost me $10 - and I'll use it to do just
>> what you're trying to do.

- Bobb -

"JJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:y8zpg.59538$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> I'm the OP on this and here's where I'm at:
>
> I filled my old 40 gig hard drive and bought a new 80g. After
> research
> over conflicts between Norton Ghost & Goback, I finally got Ghost to
> work
> and got the result: "clone successfully created". I've been chasing
> my tail
> ever since. My goal was to use the newer, faster HD as C and the old
> 40g as a backup. I'm using a Dell Dimension 4700, both drives are
> SATA and I'm using XP Pro.
>
> When I disconnect my current C and plug the new 80g, clone drive into
> the same connector on the mobo it tells me drive 1 can't be found and
> won't boot. If I plug the old drive into the 2nd connector and keep
> the new drive in the original, it boots but the system gets unstable.

STOP - what are the settings on the jumpers on both drives ?
Are they master/slave ? Are they cable select ? etc
http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/...tion_guide.pdf

Do you know - when do boot , does" the original drive appear as c" ?
In Windows Explorer, go to "C:\ " on the 40 gb drive
then edit boot.ini - select all - copy and paste it here.

On the 80gb drive, in "\" do you see ntldr and ntdetect.com
(tools-folderoptions - View - check next to 'display hidden files' ,
display system files)
Or
http://www.winxpfix.com/page31-Winxpfix-tips.htm
and scroll down to "an easier way to edit boot.ini". Read a how-to
there.

> If I return the original HD, to the original mobo connector, all is
> fine and I
> have a 40 gig C drive and 80g drive E, but that's not what I want.
>
> My bios settings when I try the new configuration are as follows:
> Drive 0 SATA 0 (80g)
> Drive 1 SATA 2 (40g)
>
> It says both drives are controlled by system bios. It can't locate a
> boot drive in this configuration.

If it's software, see if you "get the gist" of what might be
happening by reading here.
http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm
It IS deep but skip the details - does it seem like that might be
your problem ? also
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaB...num=1140647361

Let us know

> New drive is a maxtor, didn't come with cd. I'll now go to maxtor and
> see if they have something.
>

> "- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>> "bambam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed) ...

>> You did a disk a disk to disk copy of E ????
>> You mean a partition copy ?
>> Start again - WHAT is your HDD layout ?
>> Your new disk drive has 3 partitions?
>> And you HAD only ONE drive with one partition before ? Was it C ?
>> IS there a mbr on the "new drive" ? What is in boot.ini.?
>> Do you know what that means ?
>>
>> What message do you get ? " ntldr not found" etc
>>
>> We need some info to help.
>>
>> New store-bought drive ? Mfr ? Usually comes with a CD to migrate
>> your drive. Or can download from the "new drive" site.
>> Not pushing this on you, but if you have Norton AV, I just bought at
>> CompUSA NAV+ Ghost 10 package for $49 with $40 in rebates ($20
>> upgrade rebate + $20 rebate). So Ghost cost me $10 - and I'll use it
>> to do just what you're trying to do.

Sjouke Burry

JJ wrote:
> I'm the OP on this and here's where I'm at:
>
> I filled my old 40 gig hard drive and bought a new 80g. After research
> over conflicts between Norton Ghost & Goback, I finally got Ghost to work
> and got the result: "clone successfully created". I've been chasing my tail
> ever since. My goal was to use the newer, faster HD as C and the old
> 40g as a backup. I'm using a Dell Dimension 4700, both drives are
> SATA and I'm using XP Pro.
>
> When I disconnect my current C and plug the new 80g, clone drive into the
> same
> connector on the mobo it tells me drive 1 can't be found and won't boot. If

I did a clone to a bigger disk with Ghost,
and I made the error of looking at it with xp.
It then gets the drive letter d,e,or f etc.,
and that gets attached permanently.
You can try and change it ,but not to C:.
So I did the clone again, and without testing,
replaced the C disk with the clone.
That did it. No further problems.

JJ

"Sjouke Burry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44a71c84$0$2029$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> JJ wrote:
>> I'm the OP on this and here's where I'm at:
>>
>> I filled my old 40 gig hard drive and bought a new 80g. After research
>> over conflicts between Norton Ghost & Goback, I finally got Ghost to work
>> and got the result: "clone successfully created". I've been chasing my
>> tail
>> ever since. My goal was to use the newer, faster HD as C and the old
>> 40g as a backup. I'm using a Dell Dimension 4700, both drives are
>> SATA and I'm using XP Pro.
>>
>> When I disconnect my current C and plug the new 80g, clone drive into the
>> same
>> connector on the mobo it tells me drive 1 can't be found and won't boot.
>> If I

> I did a clone to a bigger disk with Ghost,
> and I made the error of looking at it with xp.
> It then gets the drive letter d,e,or f etc.,
> and that gets attached permanently.
> You can try and change it ,but not to C:.
> So I did the clone again, and without testing,
> replaced the C disk with the clone.
> That did it. No further problems.

Your saying make the clone again using ghost, then just swap the cables on
the mobo without looking at it and the new will work when I boot. What if I
add the old one after booting, will it then come up as another lettered
drive, such as E?

Swaping? Andry C++ 49 01-15-2008 12:21 PM
Swaping from TCP to serial port protocol. k2 Java 1 04-24-2007 11:49 PM
swaping disks with acronis trueimage? j_slobo@hotmail.com Computer Support 3 10-03-2005 08:35 PM
swaping vectors & arrays J. Campbell C++ 2 09-30-2003 09:20 AM

Advertisments