Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > operating system distribution among windows users

Reply
Thread Tools

operating system distribution among windows users

 
 
aniramca@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2006
What are the world percentage distributions among windows users which
use Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME, NT and XP?
Are there a lot of people out there which are still using Windows 95 or
98?
Just curious

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Travis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2006
Windows 98 is pretty popular still, XP is more popular, ME is awful. 95 is
used less than 98. 2000 is a good server. NT may be used, usually for public
computers. I don't know the percentage

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> What are the world percentage distributions among windows users which
> use Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME, NT and XP?
> Are there a lot of people out there which are still using Windows 95 or
> 98?
> Just curious
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Duane Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2006

"Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jaolg.55090$771.22842@edtnps89...
> Windows 98 is pretty popular still, XP is more popular, ME is awful. 95 is
> used less than 98. 2000 is a good server. NT may be used, usually for
> public computers. I don't know the percentage


Out of the NT classed O/S(s) that's NT, XP, and Win 2K 3, Win 2K Pro
workststion or Server Edition is the most stable. Win 2K Pro will replace
Win 98SE in the long run that everyone will go to.

Duane



 
Reply With Quote
 
tony sayer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2006
In article <EOolg.7948$(E-Mail Removed) et>, Duane
Arnold <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> writes
>
>"Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:jaolg.55090$771.22842@edtnps89...
>> Windows 98 is pretty popular still, XP is more popular, ME is awful. 95 is
>> used less than 98. 2000 is a good server. NT may be used, usually for
>> public computers. I don't know the percentage

>
>Out of the NT classed O/S(s) that's NT, XP, and Win 2K 3, Win 2K Pro
>workststion or Server Edition is the most stable. Win 2K Pro will replace
>Win 98SE in the long run that everyone will go to.
>


I reckon that WIN2000 Pro is about the best they ever did.

WIN98 is well outdated, ME is well awful, and XP is teletubby ware.....

--
Tony Sayer

 
Reply With Quote
 
John Rampling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2006

"tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <EOolg.7948$(E-Mail Removed) et>, Duane
> Arnold <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> writes
>

<snip>
>
> WIN98 is well outdated, ME is well awful, and XP is teletubby ware.....
>
> --



What is 'teletubby ware' ?


 
Reply With Quote
 
tony sayer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2006
In article <hyslg.48034$(E-Mail Removed)>, John Rampling
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>
>"tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <EOolg.7948$(E-Mail Removed) et>, Duane
>> Arnold <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> writes
>>

><snip>
>>
>> WIN98 is well outdated, ME is well awful, and XP is teletubby ware.....
>>
>> --

>
>
>What is 'teletubby ware' ?
>
>


Bloated, unnecessary, resource hungry..that do;?....
--
Tony Sayer

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tonagon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2006
Amazingly there are still a decent number of people running Windows 98.
My parents had it until last month when there 6 year old PC finally
croaked.
Not many people had Windows ME ever as far as I know, it was a short
lived OS, it should be very rare these days.
I still run into the occasional NT 4.0 system, I know some Government
servers still run it and some other businesses that just don't like to
upgrade there stuff.
Windows 2000 is still quite popular, anyone who has a computer over 3
years old probably is running it.
Same can be said for 2000 server for servers.

I would guess that XP is more prevailant then 2000 now, but not by a
large margin.

Then there is 2003 server which is now slowly taking over all the 2000
server systems. It is a fairly good upgrade, but expect to run into
permissions issues with some things when you install it. 2003 Server
does a decent job of locking things down by default.

I wonder where one could get accurate numbers on this though, I would
bet Microsoft knows.
Wow, now you got me curious.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Todd H.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2006
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) writes:

> What are the world percentage distributions among windows users which
> use Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME, NT and XP?
> Are there a lot of people out there which are still using Windows 95 or
> 98?
> Just curious



This is just stats from one site's visitors, but if you scroll down
this page to OS Platform Statistics, you can get a rough feel:
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp


--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Duane Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2006
tony sayer wrote:
> In article <EOolg.7948$(E-Mail Removed) et>, Duane
> Arnold <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> writes
>
>>"Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:jaolg.55090$771.22842@edtnps89...
>>
>>>Windows 98 is pretty popular still, XP is more popular, ME is awful. 95 is
>>>used less than 98. 2000 is a good server. NT may be used, usually for
>>>public computers. I don't know the percentage

>>
>>Out of the NT classed O/S(s) that's NT, XP, and Win 2K 3, Win 2K Pro
>>workststion or Server Edition is the most stable. Win 2K Pro will replace
>>Win 98SE in the long run that everyone will go to.
>>

>
>
> I reckon that WIN2000 Pro is about the best they ever did.
>
> WIN98 is well outdated, ME is well awful, and XP is teletubby ware.....
>


Well, I'll have to put XP Pro there with Win 2K Pro as that's all I have
seen lately in companies where I do programming on the MS platform. I'll
take the boot and logon process of XP pro over Win 2K pro any day of the
week.

It does seem that more and more companies are going Win 2K 3 server too.

Duane
 
Reply With Quote
 
tony sayer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2006
In article <RoGlg.8144$(E-Mail Removed). net>, Duane
Arnold <""@Yep-Don't-Bother.?> writes
>tony sayer wrote:
>> In article <EOolg.7948$(E-Mail Removed) et>, Duane
>> Arnold <Yeah-Don't-bother-@that's-right.BET> writes
>>
>>>"Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:jaolg.55090$771.22842@edtnps89...
>>>
>>>>Windows 98 is pretty popular still, XP is more popular, ME is awful. 95 is
>>>>used less than 98. 2000 is a good server. NT may be used, usually for
>>>>public computers. I don't know the percentage
>>>
>>>Out of the NT classed O/S(s) that's NT, XP, and Win 2K 3, Win 2K Pro
>>>workststion or Server Edition is the most stable. Win 2K Pro will replace
>>>Win 98SE in the long run that everyone will go to.
>>>

>>
>>
>> I reckon that WIN2000 Pro is about the best they ever did.
>>
>> WIN98 is well outdated, ME is well awful, and XP is teletubby ware.....
>>

>
>Well, I'll have to put XP Pro there with Win 2K Pro as that's all I have
>seen lately in companies where I do programming on the MS platform. I'll
>take the boot and logon process of XP pro over Win 2K pro any day of the
>week.
>


Simply because they have to. The firms that supply them will either put
XP on the machines because they can't get 2K or they will make an earner
or the machines come loaded with it on already.

Up here in Cambridge I know of a lot of IT pro's programmers, sysadmins
who although they have to use Microsnot at work wouldn't give their
products house room at home!.

I've given a few old PC's away to good homes, deemed not good enough for
all the latest Microsnot bloatware, and put Linux, open office,
Thunderbird, GIMP, and Firefox all freebie programs on them and they
tick fine

>It does seem that more and more companies are going Win 2K 3 server too.


Possibly as someone is making a profit from the sales?...
>
>Duane


--
Tony Sayer

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Distribution of files among web farm servers Petr PALAS ASP .Net 1 03-10-2005 11:39 AM
DataTable.Select not unique among users?? Kris Rudin ASP .Net 2 08-18-2003 09:57 PM



Advertisments