Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Removing Explorer?

Removing Explorer?

John

Is there a way of completely removing Internet Explorer from a Windows
XP Home system and just using Firefox?

At the moment I have just deleted the links to it, but whenever
someone clicks the check email within Messenger it still opens up
explorer when I want it to just use Firefox all the time for browsing.

Cheers

John

ypodopy

make sure that firefox is your default browser and if you want,
uninstall your IE at add/remove programs>>add/remove windows
components.

hope this will help.

John wrote:
> Is there a way of completely removing Internet Explorer from a Windows
> XP Home system and just using Firefox?
>
> At the moment I have just deleted the links to it, but whenever
> someone clicks the check email within Messenger it still opens up
> explorer when I want it to just use Firefox all the time for browsing.
>
> Cheers
>
> John

Robert Baer

ypodopy wrote:

> make sure that firefox is your default browser and if you want,
> uninstall your IE at add/remove programs>>add/remove windows
> components.
>
> hope this will help.
>

> John wrote:
>
>>Is there a way of completely removing Internet Explorer from a Windows
>>XP Home system and just using Firefox?
>>
>>At the moment I have just deleted the links to it, but whenever
>>someone clicks the check email within Messenger it still opens up
>>explorer when I want it to just use Firefox all the time for browsing.
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>John

I know that it is impossible to remove IE in Win2K, and rather
difficult and involved to remove it from Win98SE.
Are you absolutely positive that it is *listed* as an installed
program in XP?
I seriously doubt that, as it has never been on the list in other Win
OSes.

Travis

Don't use firefox....

If you won't listen to me and many others,

Just install firefox and have it set as your default browser. And remove it
from the start menu and desktop (right click properties, background,
customize desktop, uncheck internet explorer and put firefox there.

Don't use firefox

"Eliminate annoying spam!
My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."

http://www.ihatespam.net

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way of completely removing Internet Explorer from a Windows
> XP Home system and just using Firefox?
>
> At the moment I have just deleted the links to it, but whenever
> someone clicks the check email within Messenger it still opens up
> explorer when I want it to just use Firefox all the time for browsing.
>
> Cheers
>
> John

JTJersey

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 20:45:56 +0100, John wrote:

> Is there a way of completely removing Internet Explorer from a Windows
> XP Home system and just using Firefox?
>
> At the moment I have just deleted the links to it, but whenever someone
> clicks the check email within Messenger it still opens up explorer when
> I want it to just use Firefox all the time for browsing.
>
> Cheers
>
> John

Afraid not, it's part of the operating system. Just set Firefox as the
default browser, or Opera or whatever else you like. I use Firefox in
Windows and Linux. Some websites will only work properly if you use
Internet Explorer, however.
--
Registered Linux User #267152

Robert Baer

JTJersey wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 20:45:56 +0100, John wrote:
>

>>Is there a way of completely removing Internet Explorer from a Windows
>>XP Home system and just using Firefox?
>>
>>At the moment I have just deleted the links to it, but whenever someone
>>clicks the check email within Messenger it still opens up explorer when
>>I want it to just use Firefox all the time for browsing.
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>John

> Afraid not, it's part of the operating system. Just set Firefox as the
> default browser, or Opera or whatever else you like. I use Firefox in
> Windows and Linux. Some websites will only work properly if you use
> Internet Explorer, however.

I call such websites "browser hostile".

bambam

John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:u4e392lf6k3geu2rksk4975jooebepncb9@
4ax.com:

> Is there a way of completely removing Internet Explorer from a Windows
> XP Home system and just using Firefox?

Yes there is, although you should probably make an image of your system
before trying.

http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

And for anyone who would like to modify the contents of their Windows CD
before installation then this is the program for you-

nLite
Freeware
Supports Windows 2000, XP x86/x64 and 2003 x86/x64 all languages.
It needs .NET Framework 2.0 in order to run it.

Have you ever wanted to remove Windows components like Media Player,
Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, MSN Explorer, Messenger...

How about not even to install them with Windows ?

nLite is a tool for permanent Windows components removal and pre-
installation Windows setup. After removal there is an option to make
bootable image ready for burning on cd or testing in virtual machines. With
nLite you will be able to have Windows installation which on install
doesn't include, or even contain on cd, unwanted components.

http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

--
Always tell the truth. That way, you don't have to remember what you said.

Mark Twain

bambam

Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newsjkkg.6334$o4.3259
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> I know that it is impossible to remove IE in Win2K, and rather
> difficult and involved to remove it from Win98SE.

It is actually really easy to remove IE from Win98-

http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html

--

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 07:41:00 +0000, Robert Baer wrote:

>>Some websites will only work properly if you use
>> Internet Explorer, however.

> I call such websites "browser hostile".

Agreed.

John

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:36:34 +0000 (UTC), bambam
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:u4e392lf6k3geu2rksk4975jooebepncb9@
>4ax.com:
>
>> Is there a way of completely removing Internet Explorer from a Windows
>> XP Home system and just using Firefox?

>Yes there is, although you should probably make an image of your system
>before trying.
>
>http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html
>
>And for anyone who would like to modify the contents of their Windows CD
>before installation then this is the program for you-
>
>nLite
>Freeware
>Supports Windows 2000, XP x86/x64 and 2003 x86/x64 all languages.
>It needs .NET Framework 2.0 in order to run it.
>
>Have you ever wanted to remove Windows components like Media Player,
>Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, MSN Explorer, Messenger...
>
>How about not even to install them with Windows ?
>
>nLite is a tool for permanent Windows components removal and pre-
>installation Windows setup. After removal there is an option to make
>bootable image ready for burning on cd or testing in virtual machines. With
>nLite you will be able to have Windows installation which on install
>doesn't include, or even contain on cd, unwanted components.
>
>http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

Yep. Cheers guys. It seems like it is absolutely impossible to
completely remove IE from Win XP.

Even after using the freeware program above and removing it via that,
if I open up MSN Messenger, sign in and click on the button to access
my new mail, it will bring up Explorer and navigate to Hotmail.

I even tried going to Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs/Add or
Remove Windows Components and taking the check out of the IE box. That
didn't work as users can still get into Explorer via MSN.

I then tried the option below removing Windows Components, which is
Set Program Access and Defaults. I chose my own Custom settings in
here to try and disable access to Internet Explorer and only allow it
to Firefox, but still you can get into Explorer via MSN Messenger.
Some of the websites have parts of the pages not displaying but people
can still have a lot of useability with the webpages and via emails
etc.

The only solution I have been able to use to prevent use of Explorer
is via the ZoneAlarm Firewall. I have set the program as completely
blocked in all categories.

John