Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > What do these symptoms suggest?

What do these symptoms suggest?

Ben Myers

If you can get the parts for cheap and want to repair it yourself, the computer
is not hosed. It all depends on the color of your money and the amount of time
you have.

The IBM computer probably was incompatible with the higher density 256MB DIMM.

Does your model of DeskPro use a standard ATX power supply with a 20-pin
connector or a proprietary power supply with 24-pin connector? If the former,
you can actually use any standard ATX motherboard in the case, but Windows XP
will throw up on a non-Compaq motherboard. And, of course, the power supply is
standard form factor, if the connector is 20-pin.

I have some DeskPros in my warehouse, some whole, and some in parts. Depending
on the type of power supply and motherboard, I can certainly part out the
computers for short money. Heaven knows, Pentium III computers are not hot
sellers around here... Ben Myers

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 18:32:45 GMT, "Doc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"JAD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:SMjhg.29$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I would be looking to the Mainboard or the PSU. A quick look at the
>> mainboards capacitors(gray cylinders) to check for bulging or leaking. (if
>> your an old guy like me then I would use a magnifying glass or glasses.)
>> PSU, well that's a toughie as a multimeter could help but its hard to

>test
>> with a load, so a spare or a new one to test with is an easier way.

>If it's the mobo, this computer is basically hosed?

kony

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 15:59:03 -0700, "DaveW"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It sounds like your motherboard is failing and a has a thermal fault that
>occurs when it's been on. I think you may be facing getting a new computer
>since motherboards for that older machine are either unavailable or VERY
>expensive.

It's not very hard or expensive to find an old socket 370
board... main issue would be whether mATX or full ATX, and
whether the PSU is standard or not. Most from that era were
standard, except some of the slimline, SFF desktops.

Doc

"Ben Myers" <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you can get the parts for cheap and want to repair it yourself, the

computer
> is not hosed. It all depends on the color of your money and the amount

of time
> you have.
>
> The IBM computer probably was incompatible with the higher density 256MB

DIMM.

> Does your model of DeskPro use a standard ATX power supply with a 20-pin
> connector or a proprietary power supply with 24-pin connector? If the

former,
> you can actually use any standard ATX motherboard in the case, but Windows

XP
> will throw up on a non-Compaq motherboard. And, of course, the power

supply is
> standard form factor, if the connector is 20-pin.

This is a 24-pin Compaq Power Supply. Apparently from around 2001.

> I have some DeskPros in my warehouse, some whole, and some in parts.

Depending
> on the type of power supply and motherboard, I can certainly part out the
> computers for short money. Heaven knows, Pentium III computers are not

hot
> sellers around here... Ben Myers

That's a distinct possibility. Do I remove _spam_me_not from the address?

Ben Myers

Then I am well familiar with the model. I have both power supplies and
motherboards in my warehouse.

To use a more standard motherboard, you would need to change out the power
supply in the chassis.

A non-Compaq motherboard requires minimal changes to the wiring from the
motherboard to the front panel LEDs and on-off switch... Ben