Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Processor/motherboard upgrade

Processor/motherboard upgrade

Dean

Hi all,
I have a Compaq Presario that is a few years old with an Athlon XP1800
1.52 processor, 100 gig HD. I upgraded the RAM to 1G and installed a GeForce
6800 last year. This computer works great - but has some lag in games. What
would be the way to go to upgrade? A new CPU? Or CPU and motherboard? Any
recommendations? Thanks, Dean

Rob

You need to know what kind of cpu your motherboard supports. (Socket 754)
Upgrade to the fastest cpu of that type socket. That is most likely all you
can do. A new m/b will require different memory than you have to get the
best performance. Your 6800 should have 256 mg memory also.

Rob

"Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5d2a7$4480ae99$4171c07a$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi all,
> I have a Compaq Presario that is a few years old with an Athlon XP1800
> 1.52 processor, 100 gig HD. I upgraded the RAM to 1G and installed a
> GeForce 6800 last year. This computer works great - but has some lag in
> games. What would be the way to go to upgrade? A new CPU? Or CPU and
> motherboard? Any recommendations? Thanks, Dean

news.comcast.giganews.com

Lag is generally defined as the stutter effect a gamer experiences during
online gameplay, often as a result of undesirable ping times and network
congestion. If that is what you're experiencing, there isn't much you can
do in the way of combating 'lag'. Unless you're talking about lag as it
exists during your single player campaigns, in which case a CPU upgrade
would be most beneficial in your case.