Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Microsoft Word question

Microsoft Word question

I am using Microsoft Office 97. When I make a very small Word document and
insert some very small jpeg photos into the word document, the document is
VERY large in size after I save the document. I can't figure out why this
is. One of my documents consists of a few pages of text and a couple dozen
jpegs that are all well under 100k in size each, but when I saved the
document, the entire document is over 19 megabytes. I think the entire
document should be less that 1 megabyte in size. Can someone please tell me
why these Word documents are so large? Thanks.

Robert Baer

j wrote:
> I am using Microsoft Office 97. When I make a very small Word document and
> insert some very small jpeg photos into the word document, the document is
> VERY large in size after I save the document. I can't figure out why this
> is. One of my documents consists of a few pages of text and a couple dozen
> jpegs that are all well under 100k in size each, but when I saved the
> document, the entire document is over 19 megabytes. I think the entire
> document should be less that 1 megabyte in size. Can someone please tell me
> why these Word documents are so large? Thanks.

So what do you expect from Micro$uck? Decent software? Do not hold
your breath.

Chet

Even though the original photos are JPG, the format in the Word document is
different. I don't immediately recall what the format is called but I
believe that's your answer.
"j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dZXfg.45069$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>I am using Microsoft Office 97. When I make a very small Word document and
> insert some very small jpeg photos into the word document, the document is
> VERY large in size after I save the document. I can't figure out why this
> is. One of my documents consists of a few pages of text and a couple dozen
> jpegs that are all well under 100k in size each, but when I saved the
> document, the entire document is over 19 megabytes. I think the entire
> document should be less that 1 megabyte in size. Can someone please tell
> me
> why these Word documents are so large? Thanks.

Uplink

and that supports m theory, this group is a bunch of microsoft h8ers

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VB6gg.762$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
>j wrote:
>> I am using Microsoft Office 97. When I make a very small Word document
>> and
>> insert some very small jpeg photos into the word document, the document
>> is
>> VERY large in size after I save the document. I can't figure out why this
>> is. One of my documents consists of a few pages of text and a couple
>> dozen
>> jpegs that are all well under 100k in size each, but when I saved the
>> document, the entire document is over 19 megabytes. I think the entire
>> document should be less that 1 megabyte in size. Can someone please tell
>> me
>> why these Word documents are so large? Thanks.
>>

> So what do you expect from Micro$uck? Decent software? Do not hold your
> breath.

One in a million

"j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:dZXfg.45069$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> I am using Microsoft Office 97. When I make a very small Word document and
> insert some very small jpeg photos into the word document, the document is
> VERY large in size after I save the document. I can't figure out why this
> is. One of my documents consists of a few pages of text and a couple dozen
> jpegs that are all well under 100k in size each, but when I saved the
> document, the entire document is over 19 megabytes. I think the entire
> document should be less that 1 megabyte in size. Can someone please tell me
> why these Word documents are so large? Thanks.

Your question inspired me to perform a little experiment with my own MS Word program
You can work it out from the recorded informaiton below:

---
First save with test heading only: Filesize = 20kb

Insert 3 Jpeg files:
flexible.jpg = 69kb
Playmate Logo.jpg = 12kb
speed-freak-flags-cross6.jpg = 37kb
Total = 118kb

Second save with 118kb imported: Filesize = 136kb
---

So it would appear to me that there might be something screwing with your MS Word program because the final filesize correlates to
the imported data and the initial filesize.

Hope this helped mate.

Good luck with it
Cheers
Mike the Kiwi

JDL

use OpenOffice instead, by Sun microsystems. It's free!

Wizard

.... and that answers the questionhow? DimWit!

Wizard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> ... and that answers the questionhow? DimWit!
>
> JDL wrote:
>>
>> use OpenOffice instead, by Sun microsystems. It's free!

>> Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service
>> in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server
>> Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

I was just posting some good advice that the person may not be aware of.
Since you like to call people names (are ya in the 4th grade?), you're a
top-posting butthole. Yeah, "wizard"! 3 points. from behind the arc!
swish!