Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Bits

Hoogan $$$

What's the meaning of 16 bits & 32 bits ?!!
Thanks

nos1eep

"Hoogan $$$" <(E-Mail Removed)>wrote :

|What's the meaning of 16 bits & 32 bits ?!!
|Thanks

Generally these terms are used as adjectives to describe data units
that are at the most 16 bits (2 octets) or 32 bits (4 octets).

The above was taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16-bit feel free
to explore the link.

Chet

I presume you know what a bit is and are asking why processors are
advertised as 16, 32, 64 bits.

If a processor can access and process more data at a time the effective
speed is increased. For example, the first PCs only worked on 8 bits (one
byte) at a time so that even a simple function required many accesses to
memory. The drawback, of course, is that accessing 4, 8 or 16 bytes (32, 64
or 128 bits) at a time sometimes means that you are wasting space but those
early computers only had 640KB or less and modern computers have
approximately 1000 times as much so you can afford a little sloppiness.

"Hoogan $$$" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What's the meaning of 16 bits & 32 bits ?!!
> Thanks

Bazzer Smith

"Hoogan $$$" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What's the meaning of 16 bits & 32 bits ?!!
> Thanks

In computing, a computer retrieves it instructions from a program
which is held in memory (RAM) whilst it is running the program.
Early computers typically had a set of instructions (data) 8-bits wide,
this allowed for 2 to the power of 8 basic instructions (256).
This required a data bus 8 bits wide. Later computers were
16 bit wide which allowed 256X256 instructions, later still 32 bit,
and also 64 bit. The data which the computer worked on was
also retreived in 8 bit wide chunks, then later 16, 32 and (now
sometimes) 64 bit. obviously 16 bit is twice as fast (generaly)
as 8 bit as it can get twice as much data at once. 32 bit is twice
as fast again and so on for 64 bit.