Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Tampering with computers during shipment

Tampering with computers during shipment

Dave

Hi - I was wondering if anyone here has had similar experiences when
shipping computers - I just shipped one to myself, fedex, as I was moving,
and when I got it and opened the case I noticed the hard drive was loose and
banging around the box, the IDE cables had been unplugged from the hard
drive and CD drives, as well as the power cables. When I shipped it,
everything was screwed in tight, and when I booted it went into BIOS and
said the case had been opened. Miraculously it appears that nothing is
damaged. The previous time I shipped my computer it was obviously also
tampered with but was less messed-up. My question: why? Looking for Bin
Laden's plans? Looking for illegal porn? I could see why the USPS would do
this but not a private company (at least put the stuff back the way it was
when you're done messing with it). I called fedex but the person I spoke to
just said "probably 'security reasons'."
Dave

paddy

Dave wrote:
> Hi - I was wondering if anyone here has had similar experiences when
> shipping computers - I just shipped one to myself, fedex, as I was moving,
> and when I got it and opened the case I noticed the hard drive was loose and
> banging around the box, the IDE cables had been unplugged from the hard
> drive and CD drives, as well as the power cables. When I shipped it,
> everything was screwed in tight, and when I booted it went into BIOS and
> said the case had been opened. Miraculously it appears that nothing is
> damaged. The previous time I shipped my computer it was obviously also
> tampered with but was less messed-up. My question: why? Looking for Bin
> Laden's plans? Looking for illegal porn? I could see why the USPS would do
> this but not a private company (at least put the stuff back the way it was
> when you're done messing with it). I called fedex but the person I spoke to

> just said "probably 'security reasons'."

> Dave

clubfoot

I own a shipping store that uses UPS, FedEx, USPS and (if forced to) uses
DHL. We have shipped almost a dozen computer systems this year alone and
have never had a customer complain about a system being messed with during
transit. We do get regular bulletins from the shipping companies and our
franchise HQ is real good about letting us know about the shippers policy
changes and I have never received one bulletin stating that any currier will
pull apart and inspect computers. This is not to say that they wont, I'm
just saying that they usually tell us about things like that - in the
interest of "national security." Just to clear up one thing though, the
curriers on their own don't usually institute policies like this on their
own - why spend the money to hire an extra crew if they don't have to. If
FedEx did it then it most likely is a government instituted policy and is
thus mandated to ALL curriers, not just FedEx, thats usually how it works.
And, there are several government agencies that regulate the curriers and
any number of them could have been the one that inspected the computer - if
it was pulled apart in transit. Although, the fact that it was not even put
back together once they decided that you were not part of Bin Laden's group
of loosers kind of ****es me off. It's one thing to snoop into our private
things in the interest of national security but, it's simply rude and
disrespectful to leave things in shambles.
"paddy" <o'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:B9vag.207$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave wrote:
>> Hi - I was wondering if anyone here has had similar experiences when
>> shipping computers - I just shipped one to myself, fedex, as I was
>> moving,
>> and when I got it and opened the case I noticed the hard drive was loose
>> and
>> banging around the box, the IDE cables had been unplugged from the hard
>> drive and CD drives, as well as the power cables. When I shipped it,
>> everything was screwed in tight, and when I booted it went into BIOS and
>> said the case had been opened. Miraculously it appears that nothing is
>> damaged. The previous time I shipped my computer it was obviously also
>> tampered with but was less messed-up. My question: why? Looking for Bin
>> Laden's plans? Looking for illegal porn? I could see why the USPS would
>> do
>> this but not a private company (at least put the stuff back the way it
>> was
>> when you're done messing with it). I called fedex but the person I spoke

>> just said "probably 'security reasons'."

>> Dave

JTJersey

On Tue, 16 May 2006 20:32:29 -0400, Dave wrote:

> Hi - I was wondering if anyone here has had similar experiences when
> shipping computers - I just shipped one to myself, fedex, as I was moving,
> and when I got it and opened the case I noticed the hard drive was loose and
> banging around the box, the IDE cables had been unplugged from the hard
> drive and CD drives, as well as the power cables. When I shipped it,
> everything was screwed in tight, and when I booted it went into BIOS and
> said the case had been opened. Miraculously it appears that nothing is
> damaged. The previous time I shipped my computer it was obviously also
> tampered with but was less messed-up. My question: why? Looking for Bin
> Laden's plans? Looking for illegal porn? I could see why the USPS would do
> this but not a private company (at least put the stuff back the way it was
> when you're done messing with it). I called fedex but the person I spoke to
> just said "probably 'security reasons'."
> Dave

Was the actual shipping container opened? More likely it just got banged
around and wasn't packed well enough. Can you imagine the manpower
required to open every pc being shipped and why in the world would they
unplug the cables? If they wanted to see what was on your hard drive
they'd just turn it on. If this were a common occurance FEDEX would
rapidly loose a lot of business.
--
Registered Linux User #267152

Dave

Hi - Yes, the box was opened - all my tape was cut through, and they had
re-taped it. Basically, it beats me. I do have it password protected, so
they would not have been able to boot into Windows (unless there's some easy
way to get past Windows security, and knowing MS, there probably is). BIOS
said the case had been opened/tampered with and also it takes so much force
to take out those power cables I don't think they could have come loose
during shipping. I am looking into it with fedex as I don't like my privacy
being invaded, but they claim it was never inspected.
Dave

"JTJersey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:muQag.57933> Was the actual
shipping container opened? More likely it just got banged
> around and wasn't packed well enough. Can you imagine the manpower
> required to open every pc being shipped and why in the world would they
> unplug the cables? If they wanted to see what was on your hard drive
> they'd just turn it on. If this were a common occurance FEDEX would
> rapidly loose a lot of business.
> --
> Registered Linux User #267152

Tampering, Stealing cookies protection in ASP.NET 2.0 =?Utf-8?B?SWJyYWhpbS4=?= ASP .Net 1 07-05-2006 08:22 PM
Querystring tampering Ram ASP .Net 2 04-24-2006 05:31 PM
Need to prevent wireless config tampering mtech1@yadtel.net Wireless Networking 1 11-11-2005 05:55 PM
Received Notification Of TAP Shipment Al Swearengen Windows 64bit 5 07-26-2005 08:42 AM
What happened to my TAP Shipment? =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gUGFuemtl?= Windows 64bit 11 07-22-2005 08:05 PM

Advertisments