Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > cisco vs linksys? and otehrs

Reply
Thread Tools

cisco vs linksys? and otehrs

 
 
Nick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-16-2006
hello, I'm going to be setting up a network for a business client. most of
the networks Iv'e set up are home based ones, mainly to share an internet
connection, or a printer here and there. well, for the business purpose he
wants speed and reliablity (obviously, what biz wouldn't?) I've been looking
into Cisco components (routers and hubs), now I know Cisco "makes" linksys.
is there a BIG difference between the two. I imagine it's got to be
something for the price between the two of them. I know in other industries
(for example) the music biz, where Squire is MADE by fender, but is
completly different besides the looks. just wondering what the deal is, and
if it's worth it to go with cisco is there beter stuff than cisco without
getting insaine in the price dept? thanks

-Nick


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Duane Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-16-2006
Nick wrote:
> hello, I'm going to be setting up a network for a business client. most of
> the networks Iv'e set up are home based ones, mainly to share an internet
> connection, or a printer here and there. well, for the business purpose he
> wants speed and reliablity (obviously, what biz wouldn't?) I've been looking
> into Cisco components (routers and hubs), now I know Cisco "makes" linksys.
> is there a BIG difference between the two. I imagine it's got to be
> something for the price between the two of them. I know in other industries
> (for example) the music biz, where Squire is MADE by fender, but is
> completly different besides the looks. just wondering what the deal is, and
> if it's worth it to go with cisco is there beter stuff than cisco without
> getting insaine in the price dept? thanks
>
> -Nick
>
>


You don't want something like a Linksys NAT router with maybe SPI
protecting a business per say.

You may want to look at a low end FW appliance or packet filter FW
router that meet the specs in the link that's ICSA certified.

http://www.firewall-software.com/fir...irewall_do.htm

Watchguard, SnapGear, Cisco, Sonicwall, and Netscreen are FW appliances.

Dlink DFL-700, Netgear (the ICSA certified one) and Xyzel have FW routers.

Something you can use Wallwatcher or Kwiw Syslog Deamon (both fere) to
review traffic.

You can buy low-end FW appliances used with full warantee and support.

If you're looking at FW solutions, then know what you're looking for in
a solution.

http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/

Duane







 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dr Nick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2006
>
> You don't want something like a Linksys NAT router with maybe SPI
> protecting a business per say.
>
> You may want to look at a low end FW appliance or packet filter FW router
> that meet the specs in the link that's ICSA certified.
>
> http://www.firewall-software.com/fir...irewall_do.htm
>
> Watchguard, SnapGear, Cisco, Sonicwall, and Netscreen are FW appliances.
>
> Dlink DFL-700, Netgear (the ICSA certified one) and Xyzel have FW routers.
>
> Something you can use Wallwatcher or Kwiw Syslog Deamon (both fere) to
> review traffic.
>
> You can buy low-end FW appliances used with full warantee and support.
>
> If you're looking at FW solutions, then know what you're looking for in a
> solution.
>
> http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/
>
> Duane


thanks for the help, just before reading this post I talked to my brother
who told me that at his work they have sonicwall FW setup, I looked into the
routers and the smaller ones (4 port) seem pretty decent. I've also heard
good things about 3com (don't believe it's a firewall) the BIGGEST factor is
that my customer NEEDS a VPN. (3com mkaes one for about 130 or so) to get a
VPN from say sonic wall it would be about 300 bucks. what should I
recommened? and what exactly maks 1 different fomr another (packet
inspection? filtering? anti virus/ anti spyware at the gateway?) what else?
thanks a lot!

-Nick


 
Reply With Quote
 
Duane Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2006
Dr Nick wrote:
>>You don't want something like a Linksys NAT router with maybe SPI
>>protecting a business per say.
>>
>>You may want to look at a low end FW appliance or packet filter FW router
>>that meet the specs in the link that's ICSA certified.
>>
>>http://www.firewall-software.com/fir...irewall_do.htm
>>
>>Watchguard, SnapGear, Cisco, Sonicwall, and Netscreen are FW appliances.
>>
>>Dlink DFL-700, Netgear (the ICSA certified one) and Xyzel have FW routers.
>>
>>Something you can use Wallwatcher or Kwiw Syslog Deamon (both fere) to
>>review traffic.
>>
>>You can buy low-end FW appliances used with full warantee and support.
>>
>>If you're looking at FW solutions, then know what you're looking for in a
>>solution.
>>
>>http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/
>>
>>Duane

>
>
> thanks for the help, just before reading this post I talked to my brother
> who told me that at his work they have sonicwall FW setup, I looked into the
> routers and the smaller ones (4 port) seem pretty decent. I've also heard
> good things about 3com (don't believe it's a firewall) the BIGGEST factor is
> that my customer NEEDS a VPN. (3com mkaes one for about 130 or so) to get a
> VPN from say sonic wall it would be about 300 bucks. what should I
> recommened? and what exactly maks 1 different fomr another (packet
> inspection? filtering? anti virus/ anti spyware at the gateway?) what else?
> thanks a lot!
>
> -Nick
>
>


There are 3 types of VPN solutions.

1) Hardware to hardware -- VPN router to VPN router or VPN router to VPN
FW appliance

2) Software to software -- VPN client software to VPN server software
like AT&T's Extranet

3) Dedicated VPN client software to FW appliance with VPN server

As for the differences between solutions as a FW, I suggest you read the
information in the link before you proceed and understand the
differences, strengths, weakness etc, etc and not be concerned about the
fluff like AV or whatever.

http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/

Again, is the solution you are trying to provide meeting the specs in
the link for what does an Internet/network FW do?

It should not meet some of the specs like it doesn't provide outbound
filtering rules or it can't stop inbound or outbound traffic by port,
protocol or IP. It doesn't have a syslog etc, etc.

The solution should meet all of the specs in the link.

http://www.firewall-software.com/fir...irewall_do.htm

Can the solution stop traffic on a time basis? Does it have content
filtering are some of the things you may want to look at in a solution.

There are used solutions like WG, Cisco, Snapgear do provide used FW
appliances with full warrantee and support for 90 days, which you
should call the manufacture and get a list of vendors that provide the
refurbished solutions, which is cheaper than brand new.

Whatever you do, don't get it off of ebay and don't provide them with
something that's meant for the home.

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp

I also suggest you seek out a FW NG.

Duane


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dr Nick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2006
thanks for the help!

-N


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cisco!! Cisco!! Cisco!! The Doctor Cisco 0 01-31-2010 01:24 PM
Business VoIP Solutions Using Cisco Gateways, Cisco Call Agent, And Cisco IP Phones FreedomFireCom VOIP 0 10-03-2007 12:06 AM
Discussion about segregating bandwidth with Cisco 7513, Cisco 3750 and Cisco 3640 iskandar@measat.com Cisco 1 06-18-2006 06:30 PM
Cisco 1750 Router Cisco QoS Device Manager Cisco VPN Device Manager Rene Kuhn Cisco 0 12-28-2005 08:45 PM



Advertisments