Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Setting up a network.

Re: Setting up a network.

Bazzer Smith

"Bazzer Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9I6ag.63$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I use the wizard to set up a network but then it
> want to create a disk to set up the other computers
> on the network, however it says I have no removeable
> media. I don't have a floppy but I do have a DVDRW
> however it says I don't have anything so it won't
> do it. I don't have an XP installation disk either as
> it was preinstalled.
> (I have made a recovery DVD though, but the other machines
> don't have DVD only CD.
>
> So how do I set up the other machine w98se?
> I tired to set up up but I don't have much idea.
> At some point it asks for a winNT domain name or
> something like that, I have no idea what to put there.
>
> TIA any help appreciated.

Forwarded to alt.computer.

Duane Arnold

Bazzer Smith wrote:
> "Bazzer Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9I6ag.63$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I use the wizard to set up a network but then it
>>want to create a disk to set up the other computers
>>on the network, however it says I have no removeable
>>media. I don't have a floppy but I do have a DVDRW
>>however it says I don't have anything so it won't
>>do it. I don't have an XP installation disk either as
>>it was preinstalled.
>>(I have made a recovery DVD though, but the other machines
>>don't have DVD only CD.

I suggest that you purchase a floppy disk drive and install it in the
machine and create the disk on the XP machine you will use to install
the networking software on the Win 9'x machines so that they can network
with the XP machine.

>>So how do I set up the other machine w98se?
>>I tired to set up up but I don't have much idea.
>>At some point it asks for a winNT domain name or
>>something like that, I have no idea what to put there.

You choose Workgroup name like *Smith* all computers must be in the same
Workgroup in order to network, including the XP machine.

Of course you would need to pull the floppy disk drive out of the XP
machine and install it in the Win 9'x machines to install XP networking
software.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default...3936#appliesto

Duane

James Egan

On Tue, 16 May 2006 02:47:16 GMT, Duane Arnold
<""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote:

>I suggest that you purchase a floppy disk drive and install it in the
>machine and create the disk on the XP machine you will use to install
>the networking software on the Win 9'x machines so that they can network
>with the XP machine.

So rather than make some manual configuration changes to win9x which
take less than a minute (see Winograd faq posted by Malke), buy a
floppy drive, open up the pc, install the floppy drive (after needing
to learn how, maybe), modify the cmos so the floppy disk is recognised
and then make and use a xp network disk.

Don't think so, somehow.

Jim.

Bazzer Smith

"Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
message news:U2bag.2733$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Bazzer Smith wrote:
>> "Bazzer Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:9I6ag.63$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I use the wizard to set up a network but then it
>>>want to create a disk to set up the other computers
>>>on the network, however it says I have no removeable
>>>media. I don't have a floppy but I do have a DVDRW
>>>however it says I don't have anything so it won't
>>>do it. I don't have an XP installation disk either as
>>>it was preinstalled.
>>>(I have made a recovery DVD though, but the other machines
>>>don't have DVD only CD.

> I suggest that you purchase a floppy disk drive and install it in the
> machine and create the disk on the XP machine you will use to install the
> networking software on the Win 9'x machines so that they can network with
> the XP machine.
>>>
>>>So how do I set up the other machine w98se?
>>>I tired to set up up but I don't have much idea.
>>>At some point it asks for a winNT domain name or
>>>something like that, I have no idea what to put there.

> You choose Workgroup name like *Smith* all computers must be in the same
> Workgroup in order to network, including the XP machine.
>
> Of course you would need to pull the floppy disk drive out of the XP
> machine and install it in the Win 9'x machines to install XP networking
> software.

You don't actually need a floppy, it is stored in the system folder so
u could burn a cd, or tranfer it on a spare hard drive which is what
I did cos I knew that would work.

> http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...3936#appliesto
>
> Duane

Bazzer Smith

"James Egan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 16 May 2006 02:47:16 GMT, Duane Arnold
> <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote:
>
>>I suggest that you purchase a floppy disk drive and install it in the
>>machine and create the disk on the XP machine you will use to install
>>the networking software on the Win 9'x machines so that they can network
>>with the XP machine.

> So rather than make some manual configuration changes to win9x which
> take less than a minute (see Winograd faq posted by Malke), buy a
> floppy drive, open up the pc, install the floppy drive (after needing
> to learn how, maybe), modify the cmos so the floppy disk is recognised
> and then make and use a xp network disk.
>
> Don't think so, somehow.

I had tried the manual configuration but I could get it to
work, so I suspected I had done something wrong or
some obscure fault. I need the settup to give me confidence
I had done it corectly.
The settup didn't work either due to some other probs
I detailed in micro......etc...windowsxp.general.
Anyway its sort now :O)

> Jim.

Plato