Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Partition and dual boot help!

Partition and dual boot help!

Chris

I am trying to figure out if I can repartition my hard drive, and if
so, how.

I have windows XP running (professional version). I have all my
information and data on my C drive, a 120GB ide hard drive. I have a
2nd 120GB ide drive that I use to backup everything (via Norton Ghost)
every other day. My C: drive currently have about 40 gigs free.

What I would like to do is set up my system for a dual operating system
(Windows XP and Windows 9. From what I understand, I have to
repartition my C: drive into two drive (say C and D, or something) -
one of which would house windows XP, one of which would house Windows
98. Is that correct? Do I need to install anything else, or will I be
able to choose the bootup drive when I restart? Do the two partitions
needs to be C and D, or can they be any letters?

In terms of partitions, is there some way I can repartition my current
C drive without losing all my information? I really don't want to have
to reformat/reinstall everything. What software (if any) is
recommended? Would it be possible to do something as follows: backup
with norton ghost, reformat and partition C: drive into two drive, and
then restore my drive image to the new (smaller) C drive partition? Is
there a simpler way to do it?

Any help is appreciated!!

Chris

Robert Baer

Chris wrote:

> I am trying to figure out if I can repartition my hard drive, and if
> so, how.
>
> I have windows XP running (professional version). I have all my
> information and data on my C drive, a 120GB ide hard drive. I have a
> 2nd 120GB ide drive that I use to backup everything (via Norton Ghost)
> every other day. My C: drive currently have about 40 gigs free.
>
> What I would like to do is set up my system for a dual operating system
> (Windows XP and Windows 9. From what I understand, I have to
> repartition my C: drive into two drive (say C and D, or something) -
> one of which would house windows XP, one of which would house Windows
> 98. Is that correct? Do I need to install anything else, or will I be
> able to choose the bootup drive when I restart? Do the two partitions
> needs to be C and D, or can they be any letters?
>
> In terms of partitions, is there some way I can repartition my current
> C drive without losing all my information? I really don't want to have
> to reformat/reinstall everything. What software (if any) is
> recommended? Would it be possible to do something as follows: backup
> with norton ghost, reformat and partition C: drive into two drive, and
> then restore my drive image to the new (smaller) C drive partition? Is
> there a simpler way to do it?
>
> Any help is appreciated!!
>

> Chris

Use PartitionMagic to add that second partition; do *NOT* (repeat: DO
NOT) use FDISK!!!!!!!!
Ideally, you should put Win98 (98SE is far better) on first, then
install (ug) XP.
If XP installs the same way as Win2K, it will be nice and *ask* what
to do (tell it add partition in free space and format it NTFS).
At the end of the XP installation (*IF* XP installs the same way as
Win2K), booting will show a menu where you choose which OS you want.
****
If you use what you have, PartitionMagic will give you that second
drive, and you will either need to use FDISK to switch which drive is
active (bootable) OR a boot manager.
They will act seperately and XP programs will not be touched in any
way - but - you will have to install whatever programs you want to run
in Win98SE.
**
I run 3 OSes; Win98Se, Win2K and DOS. Instead of using FDISK to
switch between Win98SE (that menu i mentioned winds up there) and DOS, i
made a boot floppy that points command.com, etc from the proper HD to
the boot process; that way i can remove the floppy after booting in DOS.
**
You will have drives C and D; with XP on C and Win98SE on D if you
add Win98Se to what you have now via PartitionMagic (no choice).

WebWalker

In order to has dual boot, you need to install Win 98 first than
follow by Win XP. Not in the opposite sequent.

--
WebWalker

Robert Baer

WebWalker wrote:
> In order to has dual boot, you need to install Win 98 first than
> follow by Win XP. Not in the opposite sequent.

Eyeyupp!