Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > [Q:] AMD Athelon 64 vs. Intel Pentium III

[Q:] AMD Athelon 64 vs. Intel Pentium III

out2x40

I have the choice between buying a computer with an AMD Athelon 64 processor
(unknown speed) vs. an Intel Pentium III 500 MHz computer.

I have no idea what the difference is between the two processors.

Would someone kindly tell me which one will be a faster / better computer?

Thank you.

Tee Jay

out2x40 wrote:
> I have the choice between buying a computer with an AMD Athelon 64 processor
> (unknown speed) vs. an Intel Pentium III 500 MHz computer.
>
> I have no idea what the difference is between the two processors.
>
> Would someone kindly tell me which one will be a faster / better computer?
>
> Thank you.

Short answer:
AMD Athlon 64 processor is newer and faster and built for the future.
Intel Pentium III 500 MHz is older, slower and also a dead end product.
No upgrade ability.

Tee Jay

Toby

"Tee Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> out2x40 wrote:
>> I have the choice between buying a computer with an AMD Athelon 64
>> processor (unknown speed) vs. an Intel Pentium III 500 MHz computer.
>>
>> I have no idea what the difference is between the two processors.
>>
>> Would someone kindly tell me which one will be a faster / better
>> computer?
>>
>> Thank you.

> Short answer:
> AMD Athlon 64 processor is newer and faster and built for the future.
> Intel Pentium III 500 MHz is older, slower and also a dead end product. No
> upgrade ability.

Yep. Even the slowest Athlon 64 will be about 4x the speed of the P3, and
will allow you to run the new 64 bit programs that are starting to be
introduced.

Toby

Bazzer Smith

"out2x40" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I have the choice between buying a computer with an AMD Athelon 64
>processor (unknown speed) vs. an Intel Pentium III 500 MHz computer.
>
> I have no idea what the difference is between the two processors.
>
> Would someone kindly tell me which one will be a faster / better computer?

At a guess I would say the Intel is at least 5 years older than the AMD
possibly years older. The AMD is probably worth 10 times as much.
If you bought the PIII on Ebay the postage might cost you more than the
processor. Don't get the PIII, its virtually obsolete although you could
probably 'get by' on it. It obviously depends what you are paying, as the
PIII system should be a fraction of the AMD price.
You wont be able to buy the PIII in a shop of course because they
are obsolete systems.

> Thank you.

CLV3

"out2x40" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I have the choice between buying a computer with an AMD Athelon 64

processor
> (unknown speed) vs. an Intel Pentium III 500 MHz computer.
>
> I have no idea what the difference is between the two processors.
>
> Would someone kindly tell me which one will be a faster / better computer?
>
> Thank you.

This is a question tha has been asked and debated for a while now and is
right up there with some of the classics such as PC Vs Mac or Chicken Vs the
egg....

While I am far from being an expert, I believe first you have to decide what
you are going to use the computer for mostly. As far as gaming goes, the
concensus seems to be AMD.

CLV3

"out2x40" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I have the choice between buying a computer with an AMD Athelon 64

processor
> (unknown speed) vs. an Intel Pentium III 500 MHz computer.
>
> I have no idea what the difference is between the two processors.
>
> Would someone kindly tell me which one will be a faster / better computer?
>
> Thank you.

Of course the AMD 64 is the equivalent of the P4 not 3....so in answer to
your question...AMD. I miss read your post originally and thought you were
comparing the AMD 64 with the Pentium IV.