Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Is this Possible?

Is this Possible?

KissFan

I'm running an Athlon XP 2600 processor and Windows XP as the OS. I want to
change the motherboard and still use the same processor. I have many
programs and files on the PC. Can I swap out the motherboards without
reinstalling Windows?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Yes it is possible, Be sure to purchase a motherboard with the same chipset
and you should be ok. I have done this numerous times.

Rob

"KissFan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:TUb7g.183$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running an Athlon XP 2600 processor and Windows XP as the OS. I want
> to change the motherboard and still use the same processor. I have many
> programs and files on the PC. Can I swap out the motherboards without
> reinstalling Windows?
>

> Thanks in advance

Plato

KissFan wrote:

> I'm running an Athlon XP 2600 processor and Windows XP as the OS. I want to
> change the motherboard and still use the same processor. I have many
> programs and files on the PC. Can I swap out the motherboards without
> reinstalling Windows?

If the motherboard is really different ie chipset and such you may have
to do a repair install.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Jim Berwick

Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:445d510a$0$487$(E-Mail Removed):

> If the motherboard is really different ie chipset and such you may have
> to do a repair install.

An alternative that /may/ work is to get the new board, go to device
manager and uninstall your old board's drivers (all the motherboard ones,
ie, AGP bridge, PCI stuff), IDE controllers, etc. Install all the new
drivers. Shut the machine down, swap boards. This will provide Windows
with the drivers needed to boot correctly. This isn't failure proof, so be
prepared to do a repair install.

Ian Ozenthroat

Jim Berwick wrote:
> Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:445d510a$0$487$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> If the motherboard is really different ie chipset and such you may have
>> to do a repair install.

> An alternative that /may/ work is to get the new board, go to device
> manager and uninstall your old board's drivers (all the motherboard ones,
> ie, AGP bridge, PCI stuff), IDE controllers, etc. Install all the new
> drivers. Shut the machine down, swap boards. This will provide Windows
> with the drivers needed to boot correctly. This isn't failure proof, so be
> prepared to do a repair install.

Make a copy of wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files that are in the system32
folder. make your hardware changes, if windows complains and wants to
reactivate then boot to safemode and paste the above files into system32
overwriting whats there.

bmoag

You will have to reactivate if the chipset and/or manufacturer of the mb is
different. Of course, if it is not a different chipset why bother to change
motherboards? If you have only activated this copy of windows once or twice
you should not have a problem, although Bill Gates is continually squeezing
nickels forcing more stringent "authentication" tools on end users via the
inevitable XP upgrades.
Most likely you will be talking to WinXP support in India (I kid you not)
begging them to give you a number to use your valid copy of WinXP as if you
are trying to rob Microsoft instead of the other way around.
That's why Bill Gates has that $50 billion. Outsourcing may not be patriotic
but is sure is that other P: profitable.
If you have a different chipset that requires different chipset drivers
there are several ways to install them.
Very often the first time you boot your new MB XP will recognize the change,
install vanilla drivers and ask you to reboot, then you can install the
specific drivers for your new MB. The safest way is to delete your current
MB drivers and switch to vanilla drivers before installing your new MB.

Bazzer Smith

If it's an identical motherboard you should have no probs.

But you know something will go wrong don't you!!

I'm from the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' school of though!!